BestBuy and ValueElectronics are taking pre-orders for Toshiba HD DVD!

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
I noticed that the first HD-DVD players have already appeared in the BestBuy.com on-line catalog. Looks like you can pre-order them:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7652523&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1134699969167

Toshiba HD DVD High-Definition DVD Player with Standard-DVD Upconversion
Model: HD-A1 $499.99

Prepare to be blown away by the new standard in home entertainment! Thrill to movies in eye-popping, true high-definition with Toshiba's first player for the next-generation HD DVD format. This model also plays standard DVDs in near-HD resolution for improved picture quality.

• Next-generation HD DVD format compatible, for true HDTV video with amazing color and incredible high-resolution surround sound
  • Delivers greatly enhanced video performance with standard DVDs by upconverting their video resolution to HDTV-compliant 720p or 1080i via the HDMI interface
  • Built-in decoders for next-generation Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD high-resolution surround, plus lossless Dolby TrueHD (2-channel)

Update: ValueElectronics, one of our forum sponsors is a direct Toshiba dealer and is now taking preorders too. In fact, they have made a deal to buy the first 1300 units coming into the USA, so you can be among the first to own an HD DVD player if you order from them!

Check out their web-site for detailed info about Toshiba HD DVD players: http://www.valueelectronics.com/HD DVD Players.htm

BFG said:
Price = Ouch!
compared to some of the announced BD prices (e.g. Pioneer at $1800), $499 is a bargain! ;)

$499 is the entry level $799 is the one most comparible to Blu-Ray

The $1800 MSRP guesstamate is from ultra-ego-crap Pioneer Elite.

You will see Blu-Ray within the same price range of the upper HD DVD models.

This model does not support DVD +R or DVD9 (this one is a MUST!)

Lets wait for them to be on the retail shelf. NEVER buy a 1st generation item and NEVER buy pre-order!

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Lets wait for them to be on the retail shelf. NEVER buy a 1st generation item
If you can wait... ;)
I bought the first-generation Toshiba DVD player the first day it arrived in our local audio/video stores. When only 2-3 DVD disks were available in our area... Still works fine, by the way! :D

This time, I think I will wait till the BR release though...

I wasn't implying that it would not work, I was more meaning let the additional features and disc support show up "let the dust settle" and you will be more satisfied regardless of the format you choose.

charper1 said:
I wasn't implying that it would not work, I was more meaning let the additional features and disc support show up "let the dust settle" and you will be more satisfied regardless of the format you choose.
That's true, certain features (like progressibe scan, support for DVD-R/RW, etc.), were not availabe at the initial DVD launch, but then again you would have to wait years for them to arrive. On the other hand there were plenty of DVD players available at the launch to choose from, if you knew what to look for. For example, I didn't have a TV set with component inputs at that time, though I still went for a DVD player with component outputs, which turned out to be a very wise decision. So, definitly do not jump on the first player available. Shop and compare! I am sure there will be more HD-DVD and BR players at the launch!

charper1 said:
I saw that buried in the specs, and I was wondering if it meant only HD-DVR-R or actual DVD-R. I didn't think any companies would ever release a player again that wouldn't play DVD+R (or DVD-R). Surely dual-format playback is cheap enough now. I'll wait until they're on the shelf and see if it will recognize one of my DVD+R's or not. If it doesn't it would be a minor problem, although I'd be getting the new player to play HD-DVD's mainly, I could still use my old player for other DVDs.

Price wise it is not that much different than the 1st/2nd generation progressive Scan DVD players with Faroudja processing.

charper1 said:
$499 is the entry level $799 is the one most comparible to Blu-Ray

The $1800 MSRP guesstamate is from ultra-ego-crap Pioneer Elite.

You will see Blu-Ray within the same price range of the upper HD DVD models.

This comment doesn't make any sense. It's a clear-cut case: we have one promise for $499 and another for $1800. What are you talking about?

It is also well-known that Blu-Ray will cost average 1.5-2x more than HD-DVD, so I'm really curious what's your point here actually...

Where do you see that? AFAIK all the HD-DVD drives will support commercial DVDs.

EDIT: in fact, BestBuy says the same as I know: Plays HD DVD, HD DVD-R, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/-RW, MP3 and WMA formats

DVD+R can be easily just left out, calling everything DVD_R and that's it...

Lets wait for them to be on the retail shelf. NEVER buy a 1st generation item and NEVER buy pre-order!

Well, I *often* buy very first products - it's called early adopter. That's why I pay substantially more and that's why you won't pay that much later. :cool:

Last edited:
Will it output HD through the component connection? - I doubt it, but if it does it means an early adapte like me. Those form the pre DVI input era would not have to purchase a new television.

First DVD audio player from Panasonic $2500 and 34 pounds. First generation reference DVD player from Sony $1000. The good news is this is not the auto industry. :D

I must tell you watching DVD movies in true HD quality is stunning. I know you may be paying a premium for being early adopters, but it is absolutely worth every penny.

Even if the price dropped in half by 2007 and you could save $250, would it be worth it to most of us, vs. not having a year of HD movies on our HD systems? Toshiba priced this HD DVD player very low to get a high volume of sales very quickly.

-Robert

Kevinw said:
Will it output HD through the component connection?
No, at least not without a firmware "fix" - the Best Buy site clearly says "480p component video output"

T2k said:
DVD+R can be easily just left out, calling everything DVD_R and that's it...
I hope you're right. It would be very bizarre if it couldn't play DVD+R disks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts