Better picture: Netflix on Tv app or Dish with Joey 4K

ashutto20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
United States
Does it matter if I watch Netflix on my tv through through the app or on Ch 370 with the Joey 4K

I have a 4K tv and I see through the app a few movies are listed as HDR while on Ch 370 on dish they are listed as ultra 4K...but I couldn’t tell much of a difference so I just wanted this amazing communities opinion !!!

Thank you in advance

370 simply opens the app, there is no difference....

Could you provide an example of what movie you saw 4K one way and HDR the other?

Reactions: ashutto20
370 simply opens the app, there is no difference....

Could you provide an example of what movie you saw 4K one way and HDR the other?

Attachments

• 7382F423-3274-4A93-AD7C-CDDF80609581.jpeg
    7382F423-3274-4A93-AD7C-CDDF80609581.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 251
  • CF694B85-A685-47A8-A279-CAE3E2BC2976.jpeg
    CF694B85-A685-47A8-A279-CAE3E2BC2976.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 242
Does it matter if I watch Netflix on my tv through through the app or on Ch 370 with the Joey 4K

I have a 4K tv and I see through the app a few movies are listed as HDR while on Ch 370 on dish they are listed as ultra 4K...but I couldn’t tell much of a difference so I just wanted this amazing communities opinion !!!

Thank you in advance

Do you have a Netflix subscription that allows you to watch UHD shows? If so, you might get a better picture through your TV app, although there are no guarantees. The Netflix app on Dish STBs seems a bit out of date to me. Notice the star ratings are still displayed and not the Match % as you get on your TV app. That isn't necessarily an indicator of picture quality, but it suggests to me that the Dish apps are not getting the latest features and technology.

Reactions: ashutto20
The first pic is through Ch 370 and the second pic is the app on my tv
That makes things much clearer. The Hopper will be 4K only for the Netflix app on your 4K Joey. Your TV app is different. Each Netflix app, on the Hopper and the TV, is built by Netflix. Unfortunately the 4K Joey is incapable of doing HDR. If I were you, I would use your TV app to view Netflix, it will be a better exoerience.

Thank you everyone for your opinion...I do have the Netflix plan that allows me to watch 4K

I watched 370 last night to use my Bluetooth headphones but I typically use the app...Just wanted to see what others thought

I noticed when I used 370 today no 4K showed up but when I exited and went back in then 4K showed up...Weird Haha

Thank you again !!!

So, is there really an advantage of having a 4K Joey vs. a Joey with Hopper 3?
Sure there is. If you have a 4K TV in the room a 4K Joey will output 4K and a standard Joey won’t. While HDR adds more vivid color highlights, 4K looks very good all on its own.

Sure there is. If you have a 4K TV in the room a 4K Joey will output 4K and a standard Joey won’t. While HDR adds more vivid color highlights, 4K looks very good all on its own.
So, you would recommend upgrading from a Standard Joey to a 4K Joey? I know, it is a 50.00 one time fee for the upgrade, so that is not the issue. The main issue, that I have is that every now and then, the standard Joey will get dark, with no picture, but only audio. Not sure, if it the Joey is going bad or what.

I don’t have a 4K Joey but I have watched Netflix Ultra HD 4K movies on my Hopper3. In the past I avoided using the Hopper3 Netflix app since the audio was stereo instead of Dolby 5.1. They have since fixed the audio so it now does Dolby 5.1. I have compared watching Christmas Chronicles Netflix Ultra HD 4K using my Hopper3, Roku Ultra, and the Netflix app on my Sony XBR-65X900E. Of course this was all done using the Sony XBR-65X900E television. I did not appear to see any difference between the 3 methods for viewing the Netflix movie.
What I did notice is that occasionally the Hopper3 Netflix app would not display the 4K but would do 1080i. When this happens I use the tools menu to reset the Netflix app on the Hopper3 and then 4K works again.

I noticed a strange phenomenon on my Hopper3. If I would start playing a Netflix Ultra HD 4K movie which switched my TV display to 3840x2160 and then selected a normal Netflix HD movie my TV display would stay at 3840x2160 even though the movie was 1080i.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
So, you would recommend upgrading from a Standard Joey to a 4K Joey? I know, it is a 50.00 one time fee for the upgrade, so that is not the issue. The main issue, that I have is that every now and then, the standard Joey will get dark, with no picture, but only audio. Not sure, if it the Joey is going bad or what.
The only "practical" reason to move yo 4K Joey is UI is faster than the Joey 2 or 3. It has nothing to with Netflix.

I don’t have a 4K Joey but I have watched Netflix Ultra HD 4K movies on my Hopper3. In the past I avoided using the Hopper3 Netflix app since the audio was stereo instead of Dolby 5.1. They have since fixed the audio so it now does Dolby 5.1.

Please elaborate on how you are getting 5.1 with Netflix. Please be specific on the equipment you are using as well as how you have it wired. I am not getting 5.1 on Netflix at all out of my Hopper 3. In fact, none of the slides for a program show audio features at all when they should say something like 5.1 or Atmos...

Please elaborate on how you are getting 5.1 with Netflix. Please be specific on the equipment you are using as well as how you have it wired. I am not getting 5.1 on Netflix at all out of my Hopper 3. In fact, none of the slides for a program show audio features at all when they should say something like 5.1 or Atmos...

My Hopper3 receiver is connected to HDMI3 of my Sony XBR-65X900E TV. The Sony XBR-65X900E is connected to the V2 input of my Onkyo receiver by Optical Toslink cable. I have a center channel speaker, left and right front speakers, left and right rear speakers and a powered subwoofer. The receiver surround setting is PL2X Movie.

You have got me wondering whether it is only simulated Dolby rather than Dolby 5.1. If I play “Test Patterns” on Netflix it does not do the speaker test when playing from the Hopper3 or my Sony TV but it does the speaker test when playing from my Ultra Roku.
However it is more than stereo since Dialog comes out the center channel while music and other sounds come out the left and right front and rear channels.

The last couple of times I have had to reset the Netflix app on the Hopper3 in order to watch in 4K.

I did some more experimenting. When I play Netflix “Test Patterns” using my Play station 3 with the sound settings set for optical digital connected to my Onkyo receiver by optical Toslink cable the Onkyo displays Dolby Digital 3/2.1 and the Test works on all 5 speakers and the subwoofer.
When I change the Play Station sound setting to HDMI which is connected to my Sony TV and then use the Optical Toslink connection from my Sony TV to the Onkyo receiver I only get the left front, center, and Right channel. The rear left and rear right come out the front left and right speakers and I don’t hear the subwoofer Test.
And as I said before the Hopper3 does not do any of the speaker tests. So I am still learning. Of course my Onkyo receiver does not have HDMI inputs.

My Hopper3 receiver is connected to HDMI3 of my Sony XBR-65X900E TV. The Sony XBR-65X900E is connected to the V2 input of my Onkyo receiver by Optical Toslink cable. I have a center channel speaker, left and right front speakers, left and right rear speakers and a powered subwoofer. The receiver surround setting is PL2X Movie.

You have got me wondering whether it is only simulated Dolby rather than Dolby 5.1. If I play “Test Patterns” on Netflix it does not do the speaker test when playing from the Hopper3 or my Sony TV but it does the speaker test when playing from my Ultra Roku.
However it is more than stereo since Dialog comes out the center channel while music and other sounds come out the left and right front and rear channels.

The last couple of times I have had to reset the Netflix app on the Hopper3 in order to watch in 4K.

I just do a Hopper reboot to bring back the 4K listings. Never tried the Netflix app reset. Is that way faster?

I know that, in the past, toslink allowed Netflix 5.1 but I have read here that that no longer works. I may try to set up a toslink between my Hopper three and my Denon receiver to test that out but it is a chore to do. Based on what you are saying. dweber, I think you are getting pseudo surround off of a stereo feed.

My Hopper3 in the Living Room is connected to my Kenwood Receiver by optical Toslink. I tested the Hopper3 Netflix “Test Patterns” and the speaker test did not work. I also did a test using HDMI to my TV and then optical from the TV to the Kenwood receiver and got the same results. I did a test using the Netflix app in the TV and the left front, center, and right front worked but not the subwoofer or the back left and right channels.
Finally I did a test using Netflix to play “Test Patterns” using my Apple TV which is connected by HDMI to my Sony KDL-55W700B TV which is then connected to the Kenwood by Optical Toslink. It was able to do left front, center, left rear, and right rear.
So you are correct that the Hopper3 Netflix app does not do Dolby 5.1 audio.
However the simulated audio split which still allows dialog on the center channel, music or background noises on the rear channels and bass through the subwoofer sound pretty good to me. That is why I thought I had Dolby 5.1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)