better pq with component

rvanya

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Intro:
I'm sure there are a few folks out there that have a similar set-up to mine. I have a tv with 1 hdmi input, no dvi. My receiver is about 2 years old and only has component switching. I have the dish 942 connected through hdmi and my upconverting denon dvd player has hdmi/dvi output but it running through my receiver via component since I only have 1 hdmi input.

I was watching Saw 2 last night which seemed to be awfully green. Probably just the way it was shot since I havent noticed this on other movies. Then on a whim, after the movie was over, I decided to switch the video feed on the 942 and the dvd player. Basically I was trying to notice a big difference in the dvd video quality. To my surprise, the pq was improved in my opinion via component from the 942. Of course the settings were different since there was an inherited switch on the tv input. But I even leveled all the settings the same and still thought the pq was better with component. How is this possible? My wife even noticed a difference in the flesh tones and the minute details and she doesn't give a crap about this stuff- and no I didn't lead her in any way.

Just thought I would ask if any one has any input.

If you can get into your service menu of the TV you can actually calibrate the set even further with Gain and Bias settings that affect component inputs that HDMI doesn't utilize making component even that much better!!

I like component better too.

I have an HTPC connected to my 50" LCD RPTV. I recently upgraded the video card in it from one that could only output VGA and DVI (Radeon 7500) to one that could output Component (nVidia 6600). I then did a side by side (well, switching inputs back and forth) with the new card connected via DVI and Component at the same time. The video on DVI was overly pixelated, while the video on component was much more smooth an life-like. Both were set to output a 720p (set's native res) HD signal.

Using component also simplifies video switching, so now I use it excllusively.

When my 622 arrives next week, it'll be easy to switch among my single DVD player, DVD changer, HTPC, and 622 - all connected to a single component input on my set and switched via a combination of my receiver and a Zektor component switch.

Picture quality DVI vs Component

What ever looks better is the way to go, have noticed the same improvement going from DVI to Component with a 942 on a Samsung DLP!

I you a video purist HDMI is the way to go all the way. The benefit is digital (no loss) signal all the way to the decoder. On the other hand if your display device's decoder is poor, component is the way to go. My Sanyo PLV-Z3 does a good job, so i send 720P from the 942 with excellent PQ on a 110" screen. Cant wait until 1080p native projectors cost $1000, then ill get me one.

To my great surprise i get awesome PQ via 120 ft of cable using Muxlab's component video and digital audio baluns to transmit the component out of my 942 to the living room XBR960 upstairs. I split the digital audio on the 942 after i convert it to coaxial using a Dayton device.

I guess both are OK, but of course the 622 has the bug with poor HDMI out. Well at least it doesnt fry like its non-DVR cousin's:)

Last edited:
My display is a 50 inch sony (KDF50WE655) so it isn't a $1000 sam's club special. But I'm not real sure if the decoder is super duper or not. I actually was expecting to see a really big difference in pq from my dvd player, while not experiencing a huge drop off in pq from the 942. I didn't play much with the dvd player but there really was a noticeable difference in the 942. And I compared these neck to neck too. I left the hdmi output in and did the component switch first so all I had to do to compare was switch inputs on the tv.

But hey, this was all done on a whim. It was after midnight and when the wife is sitting there with the 6 month old asleep on her chest and you're moving av furniture around like you're about to move out- well, some of you guys know that look. So I'll keep playing with it, maybe even re-adjust with dve and avia. Who knows when that will be. I only got to that recently with my previous set up because it was my birthday and I had had both of those discs still wrapped in plastic since before christmas.