Better to buy or lease

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JRH

Original poster
Nov 17, 2005
Hello everyone. I am new here and grateful in advance for the advice I might receive...

I am getting a pocketdish for my wife for Christmas but right now we have a 508 and a 510 neither of which will ever work with the pocket dish.

We are not HD people at the moment so it seems a 625 is the way to go...

We own the receivers we have and I never considered the lease option before...

Just thought someone might have some experience/thoughts one way or another. Cheaper seems better unless there is some string to leasing that I am not thinking of..

Thanks for the tips

JRH

First, E* might not offer you a lease, but if they do, remember that you only get to do one a year (at best).

Second, if you can only get a 522 and not a 625, don't worry about it - there's no good reason for a 625 - the Dish On Demand feature is worthless.

For what its worth....

I called Dish and arranged for a 522. One time fee of 100 dollars. She said it already works with pocket dish

We see after the install :)

Thanks for the help

ahh you could of purchased a brand new never activated 522 for not much more than that on e bay and saved the lease fees and hassle

Since there are ways to purchase a 625 outright on the web and they claim they will activate one on an existing account, why don't they just offer it as a lease/buy option rather than confusing current customers?

Well E WANTS EVERYONE LEASE ONLY, but customer resistance has made that impossible

so they actively discourage purchases, and try their best to lease whenever possible

They leased boxes show up as a company asset, which helps their fiancials look better

plus upgrades to dual tuner boxes can get complicated, and sometimes its cheaper to send a tech than spend hours on the phone troubleshooting.

Of course for many of us here, tech is a challenge we enjoy:)

Bob Haller said:
ahh you could of purchased a brand new never activated 522 for not much more than that on e bay and saved the lease fees and hassle
Save a lease fee? Fraid not. It's $5 lease or $5 add'l tuner.

So if I am leasing a 510 and buy a 501 will I pay $5 lease fee for the 510 AND a $5 addtn receiver fee for 501? Is there anyway to make the 501 the primary reciever and save $5?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts