BEV 82W HD Transponders - Satellites

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Can someone come up with a list of which Transponders are on which of the 2 birds on 82W? Can this be seen in the uplink info?

I, like others, am seeing 0 signal on all Even transponders and a few Odd Transponders on 82W. Despite all my efforts to replace everything out thinking something went bad, it sure seems its the crippled satellites having their beam tilted further and further North. A list of transponders on the appropriate bird would at least tell people what they can and cannot get.

On another note, is there anyone in Florida still getting BEV 82W on most of the transponders?

Some of the Transponders on Nimiq 2 are off due to a problem with the birds power supply.

This is old news as it happened shortly after activation.

So, in short, this is exactly what you should be getting ;)

Kryspy

I have put my service on vacation hold till hockey season starts so I haven't been watching Evu lately. I'll check my signal strengths and let you know if I'm missing more tp's.

If I lose anymore HD, I'm switching to Starchoice.

Signal strength on 82 in Los Angeles have been the same for quite a few months. No changes I've noticed since transponders 5 & 9, which were marginal with a 90cm dish, vanished off the signal meter completely...

Kryspy said:
Some of the Transponders on Nimiq 2 are off due to a problem with the birds power supply.

This is old news as it happened shortly after activation.

So, in short, this is exactly what you should be getting ;)

Kryspy

Ahhh.....no.

I had all the transponders with weak signals up until they moved the Old Directv bird from 91W (which did not cover the Southern US on 91W) to 82W to co-locate with the crippled bird.

At that point many of us had a severe drop in signal on 82W again.

They made 2 adjustments after that which kept dropping the signal level down further and further for us on the fringes in Florida, California etc - but again - I still had a signal with a 1.2M setup.

I have 0 signal on any even transponder and 0 on transponders which were weak before such as 7, 11, 25, 27, 29, 31 etc.

I am down to 6 HD Channels (3 are Boston HD Stations and 1 is Seattle HD) total which means its really not worth it any longer unless I find out that its a problem on my end.

Thus, I am trying to make sure that this is not something that went south on my end, even though I have replaced everything with the same result.

Its also good info so others on the fringes can figure out what they can and cannot pickup now.

angiodan said:
I have put my service on vacation hold till hockey season starts so I haven't been watching Evu lately. I'll check my signal strengths and let you know if I'm missing more tp's.

Since you are south of me that should be a good test - especially with the transponders mentioned above.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me that they put the HD content on the weaker of the two satellites, that never did make much sense to me. When I was installing professionally it was a huge pain in the butt. In addition, the skew setting they list for my area did not produce the maximum signal on the 82 satellite.
Oh what fun!

Actually I understand their logic (though I don't like it) as most of their revenue lies with SD subs.

Does Canada have a plan for ending OTA SD like the USA does for 2009?

HDTVfanatic,

I assume as above you meant eliminate OTA analog by 2009?

The answer is, yes, Canada will follow suit a few years after the U.S. as usual.

The mandate is to replace analog with digital. SD is still digital just not HD digital ;)

Kryspy

HDTVFanAtic said:
Does Canada have a plan for ending OTA SD like the USA does for 2009?
I don't think they have any real plan in place. Except for a couple of the big cities, hardly anywhere has digital transmitters in place.

Oh well, the trees in my back yard partially block only the 92 sat. so that just makes my reception equally bad on both satellites............lol
Time to trim some trees methinks............might also use a 24" pan just for 82, that'll help too.

Inno said:
Oh well, the trees in my back yard partially block only the 92 sat. so that just makes my reception equally bad on both satellites............lol
Time to trim some trees methinks............might also use a 24" pan just for 82, that'll help too.

Do you mean 91W?

Yes, I meant 91 W..........sorry if anyone thought there was another satellite there that they just weren't getting. lol
Actually considering all the obstacles I have to contend with, my signal strength isn't all that bad, rain fade is worse than it was at my previous location but soon the trees will be losing their leaves and all will be well again.

FWIW, I have no idea what BEV is doing but all the sudden tonight when I checked I had all the 82W transponders like I was sitting next to them. I have never seen 82W signal strengths this high in my life even with a 1.2Meter - and I am only on the .9 now - and to top it off, I don't think I even have it tweaked! I only have 2 transponders not in the 90s (and remember BEV's scale only goes to 100, not the 120 or so that Dish uses).

I hesitate to put this here as I am becoming paranoid that they are using forums to try and screw with the Southern Viewers, but those of you that lost BEV might just want to check signal strength on 82W.

Last edited:
Fan, did a quick look at my strengths this morning. All transponders hovering between 50-60, which are actually lower than before. Still at 0 on TP's 6,7,10,11,22,27 and 31. On TP's 5,9,25 and 29 which I used to get high 30's to low 40's (which was not enough for a picture anyway), they have now dropped to zero as well.

This is with a Dish 500. Keep us posted on how long those great signals last. If they continue till hockey season starts, then I will go and put a bigger dish just for 82.

I still say, the dramatic footprint signal loss is between Tampa and Fort Myers.

Very wierd.

I believe 6, 10 and 22 are not operational as I have not gotten a signal on them ever.

7, 11, 27 and 31 are my weakest transponders, but are still right below 90.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)