BEV dish with SG2100 motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colbec

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I had thought I might be able to fit my 24" BEV supplied dish to a motor, but now that I have the two side by side it is clear that due to the shape of the bracket at the rear of the dish, with the motor shaft pointing down it will not fit into the bracket sleeve and allow the bracket to go back to its normal position.

Possibility #1: I could mount the dish upside down. LNB would be on top, it would look odd, the LNB because it was not designed for this dish would be less stable, but the dish would hold no more snow than before since the angle of incidence of the beam has not changed. Adjusting elevation would also be more difficult

Possibility #2: offset the sleeve with respect to the bracket. This would totally mess up the elevation marks, and might in theory mess up other geometric properties of the dish with respect to the motor such as elevation limits.

Possibility #3: obtain standard adapter bracket which has known properties in this situation.

Yes, I really am in need of another (proper, standard, > 30" FTA) dish and have set this in motion, just wondering if anyone else has worked on the same issue? I shall be experimenting with #2.

Is dish/motor compatibility usually much of an issue?

Last edited:
Similar situation with an Alphastar Reflector

Hi colbec,

I ran into a very similar situation with an Alphastar dish. The mount on the Alphastar dish is very similar to the ExpressVu dishes, and it wouldn't work with my Stab HH90 motor that I had bought because the dish kept hitting the motor. I sat and stared at the dish and motor for hours and finally came up with an idea to move the dish further away from the sleeve. I went to my local hardware store and bought some "Mending Plates". I bought them all the exact same length so that the elevation wouldn't change, just the dish would be further away from the sleeve.

See the picture below for how I used the mending plates, and a bunch of bolts to move the dish further away from the sleeve.

This option had worked well for me. The dish tracks the entire arc no problems.

Attachments

• AlphastarDish.jpg
    AlphastarDish.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 263
Davage, many thanks for your suggestion. Looks good.

I was working away at this and with all installed suddenly found that my brand new SG2100 is DOA. It will go west young man but not move east either from the manual button or the receiver, so I spent the rest of the day working on a reluctant retailer (not satelliteguys sponsor, mistake!) to try to resolve the issue. So I have no results to report at this time. Maybe later!

Davage, many thanks for your suggestion. Looks good.

I was working away at this and with all installed suddenly found that my brand new SG2100 is DOA. It will go west young man but not move east either from the manual button or the receiver, so I spent the rest of the day working on a reluctant retailer (not satelliteguys sponsor, mistake!) to try to resolve the issue. So I have no results to report at this time. Maybe later!

Hello colbec,

If your SG2100 is a DMS International motor, you can get a RA# at http://dmsiusa.com/ra_form.htm and we will handle it for you. Just follow the instructions. You can also call 770-874-1079 if you would like to get a RA# over the phone.

Take a look at the box and motor pictures at http://dmsiusa.com/sg2100.htm to determine if your motor is from DMS International.

You are welcome to contact me directly if you have any questions.
tim@dmsiusa.com

MrTim

For the record I would just like to add that I contacted Mr Tim by PM and he was a great help in bringing this to a successful conclusion by offering advice, support and useful suggestions. Thanks Mr Tim!

don't forget the LNB

A long time ago, Dish used those 24" dishes in the USA.
I have one. (...somewhere...) :)

The LNB support arm is formed to take a "D"-base, circular polarity LNBs.
If you want to put a linear LNB on it for use with the hotter FTA birds, you will have to come up with your own mount.
There are some linear LNBs that'll fit onto DirecTV rectangular arms, and should be easily adaptable.
Someone was kind enough to point me to a unit for a modest price.
I keep meaning to drive by and pick up a couple for testing.

Of course, if you can come up with a clever mounting technique for a traditional LNB, one of the Xtreme LNBs might be a good choice.
They're being discussed in this parallel thread, right now.

Attachments

• LNBgeneric.JPG
    LNBgeneric.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Thanks Anole, I already had a dual linear LNB with approximately the same type of mounting and it works quite well in that dish. I plan to use the BEV dish as a fixed.

On the original question I now have a Fortec Star 33" dish which matches the SG2100 motor and mount perfectly. No adaptations necessary.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts