BEV Testing 1080i content?

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
Looks like BEV is gearing up to provide a 1080i feed of CBS.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 230
digiblur said:
I'll have to do some research but I thought all of BEV's HD was always 720p material?

All bev-produced channels (ie. non US Locals) were 720p. Bell has always passed the locals in its native resolution (just not at full bandwidth :) )

When BEV simsubs to CTV or whoever the Canadian Rights Holder is, they take their 720p feed. This is what just happened to Ghost Whisperer. When they actually show CBS out of Seattle, it is 1920x1080i.

The non-CBS logo should give it away.

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
When BEV simsubs to CTV or whoever the Canadian Rights Holder is, they take their 720p feed. This is what just happened to Ghost Whisperer. When they actually show CBS out of Seattle, it is 1920x1080i.

The non-CBS logo should give it away.

Ahhh.... I still have to wonder why they had CSI on those test channels.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Because they duplicate programming of other channels they have when they test out those channels.

Which I was assuming they were running the 1280 X 720 on CBSHW and then in the picture I provided they were using CBS 1080i as testing.

I'm curious what they are testing. I was looking at the EPG in TSReader again and noticed they ran two copies of CSI again with descriptions like "720 @ 16.5 m" & and "1080i all by itself". I am closely watching the HD package of Bev as I soon might be a customer.

digiblur said:
I'm curious what they are testing. I was looking at the EPG in TSReader again and noticed they ran two copies of CSI again with descriptions like "720 @ 16.5 m" & and "1080i all by itself". I am closely watching the HD package of Bev as I soon might be a customer.

They are more than likely doing some internal testing.

Expressvu is getting a number of complaints about HD PQ and their present methodology of simsubbing them with preceived lower PQ on channels partly owned by Bell.

Many of these complaints are being funnelled thru the CRTC. In addition, the dropouts experienced by many on TMN and poor PQ on Sportsnet HD channel are strictly the result of actions taken by Expressvu after they receive the signal.

The heat is on Expressvu - not only by some subs, but also some broadcasters. The only difference with some of the HD channels is that Cancom/SC/Rogers are fed 1080i and Expressvu 720p signals.

Last edited:
Everything out of CTV, ie CTVHDE, CTVHDW and TSNHD, Discovery HD etc are sent out in 720 to BEV and 1080 to rogers. SO, yes, when CTV airs CSI in HD, they are degrading the signal.
If you watch it on CSBwest (seattle) it may or may not be in 720. Depends on whether CTV HD West in Vancouver is airing it at the same time.

CTV is now sending BEV 1080i for all its HD channels.

BEV however is technically set up though to only output 720p.

That's wrong.

BEV sends out 1080i when they air KIRO and it switches to 720p when they SimSub CTV.

It would be easier to pass through native if they had that ability.

Changing 1080i to 720p requires a re-encode.

Well i guess we have a difference of opinion here. Not sure where your info comes from, but i can tell you 100% for sure that BEv does not send out 1080i. They are not set up for it. There is no immediate plan to send it only on a daily basis. I work for BGM and have spoken with those who make the decisions at BEV.

You may have been misled by someone.

editor said:
Well i guess we have a difference of opinion here. Not sure where your info comes from, but i can tell you 100% for sure that BEv does not send out 1080i. They are not set up for it. There is no immediate plan to send it only on a daily basis. I work for BGM and have spoken with those who make the decisions at BEV.

Do you happen to know Brine who is a CSR for Directv that posts over at avsforum? Like Brine, you both think you know all about the Companies you work for - only problem is - you don't.

Yes, we have a difference of opinion - the only being "100% sure" as you call it, is that I am 100% right and you are 100% wrong.

You should find people at BGM that have a clue - as clearly you are not high enough up the food chain.

Last edited:
WGBH PBS Boston

And its been that way for over a year as long as I have subscribed when they are not Sim-Subbed.

To use your own words:

editor said:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)