BHN Central Florida Adds 4 new HD channels Oct 2

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
just read this at channel 13's website.....the following will be available october 2 for brighthouse viewers in the central florida division:

hgtv
tbs
history channel
food network

stay tuned for more info!

Looks great?

Every time I have switched it on it has been stretch o vision... I understand that they added it now for the baseball fans to get playoffs and they will be true HD. One would think TBS HD would air its crummy commercial laced movies in HD but when I flipped over to the channel the other night the movie was stretched the way they stretch sitcoms and non HD.

The Tampa Bay BHN website channel guide shows more new channels coming, as I posted in another post, I wonder why CFL BHN is only getting 4. Back in the day, like three or four years ago I used to compare the BHN Tampa website with the BHN CFL website and envy their carriage of more channels than us. Not anymore I guess.

I am still waiting for Cinemax HD. I could get it with Dish but then I give up all the multichannels and On Demand and my HBO/Max combo with BHN for $10/mo instead of $25 with Dish. I get Starz with Dish because they have the HD and more multichannels. Hopefully they will match DirecTV on the HD multichannels soon.

I just happened to noticed tbs hd on channel 726...looks great also, i dint notice any other newer channels yet...in my area (tampa bay)

peace.

I have also noticed this...

http://tampabay.mybrighthouse.com/products_and_pricing/digital_cable/HDTV/channels/default.aspx

Looks great?

Every time I have switched it on it has been stretch o vision... I understand that they added it now for the baseball fans to get playoffs and they will be true HD. One would think TBS HD would air its crummy commercial laced movies in HD but when I flipped over to the channel the other night the movie was stretched the way they stretch sitcoms and non HD.

The Tampa Bay BHN website channel guide shows more new channels coming, as I posted in another post, I wonder why CFL BHN is only getting 4. Back in the day, like three or four years ago I used to compare the BHN Tampa website with the BHN CFL website and envy their carriage of more channels than us. Not anymore I guess.

I am still waiting for Cinemax HD. I could get it with Dish but then I give up all the multichannels and On Demand and my HBO/Max combo with BHN for $10/mo instead of $25 with Dish. I get Starz with Dish because they have the HD and more multichannels. Hopefully they will match DirecTV on the HD multichannels soon.

I haven't seen the channel that much yet. but from what i have seen, shows and movies do look WAY better, than in the regular channel. but definitely not stretched. some commercial just stays boxed and u can tell its not a hd recording.

but yea 7 (in total) new hd channels, makes me a happier customer =-), im just hoping they upper their speeds even more (for internet)

but definitely not stretched.

What are you talking about? Everyone else in America is seeing TBS as stretched like TNT on non-HD programming but yours has black bars? Yes, TBS is stretch-o-vision for non HD stuff.

When you take a standard 4:3 program and put it on a 16x9 TV, it has black bars since the TV is wider than the native format the program was produced in. Some people choose to stretch their 4:3 stuff to fit the screen of a 16x9 TV, which is fine for them. Some channels like TNT and now TBS, are taking the 4:3 programming, and making the decision for you and stretching it to fit the screen when they feed you the channel. A lot of people don't like this, which is a good point. Why not let the consumer stretch it if they like, or watch it with black bars? When you watch standard cable on a 16x9 HD TV you are either watching with bars or stretching to fit the screen.

Obviously, when you are watching a 16x9 HD program it is not stretched, as it fits the screen. HBO plays its movies on HBO in 4:3 and then 16x9HD on the HD channel, as opposed to just stretching the 4:3 video to fit a 16x9 screen. TBS was stretching a movie the other night and not using the HD 16x9 version of the film, which exists. Sometimes there is no HD version and they have no choice but to air the 4:3 SD footage. But they should let the consumer decide if they want it stretched.

Take a closer look at your TV, those shows are stretched on TBS when they are not in HD. Personally, I don't care as I don't watch TBS or TNT much, but a lot of people really get angry about this and make it known on satelliteguys.us.

Sunday AM-
Just flipped back and forth between TBS and TBS HD. They were airing Chicken Little. It was stretched on TBS HD and not in HD. That movie was created in widescreeen and there most certainly is an HD version they could have aired, rather than stretching the pan and scan version of the same movie. Proof- Amazon.com: Chicken Little [Blu-ray]: DVD: Joan Cusack,Don Knotts,Catherine O'Hara,Wallace Shawn,Patrick Stewart,Patrick Warburton,Adam West,Fred Willard,Garry Marshall,Harry Shearer,Steve Zahn,Zach Braff,Amy Sedaris,Katie Finneran,John Debney,Mark D

Get a life TBS. It is bad enough you air feature films chopped up with commercials, shorten the film to fit your time needs and your time slot, edit out parts of movies that might be PG, but now you have an HD channel and rather than air your movies in HD, you are stretching out the 4:3 frame of the pan and scan edition of the movie, and putting that piece of crap on the air. You obviously fool enough people to get good ratings, but you can't fool us all. Anybody that knows anything at all about HD and aspect ratios knows you are full of it!

But again, I really don't care, because I don't watch hardly any TBS or TNT. But I see why there is an uproar.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)