BHN to expand services

stevenl

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Disney World
BHN Is planning these next few months to expand its bandwitdh limit past the 750mhz range, Currently the majority of its plant runs 750mhz gear but they will be attempting to go over this threshold to see how much the system can handle to add new services and channels. They beleive the rolloff shouldnt be that bad and can possibly squeeze a few more channels out of it without much problems.

In other news They are looking also into expansion of the QAM to 1024 (from current 256) Which will give them over 10mbps more of capcity per qam. and the internet currently on a 16QAM will be moving to a 256qam with the introduction of the new version of the docsis protocal in a sense giving them double their current bandwidth capcity to allow for increased internet speeds across the system..

Thats your BHN update today thanks

PS: This is alleged :p

oh... that's prob one reason why test ch 117 will move to 121

nice....that sounds cool, can't wait

I thought tampa already had 1ghz gear in the plant.

When I left them about a year ago most BHN Tampa Bay area's were 860Mhz or 750Mhz plants. I wasn't aware of any plant or hub that was even field ready for 1Ghz. Heck just the area I lived in had such old wiring that I'm close to 100% sure that any new services even using the 900Mhz spot wouldn't even work. They have a crap load of work left before anyone will see the benefits of a 1Ghz network. I expect that if they start soon they should be done or close to done by years end in most or all of Pinellas County.

Also as a side note now that Verizon has the benefit of a Florida statewide franchise system in place they will be moving quite fast into the rest of Pinellas County working their way towards and including St. Petersburg.

longhorn,
has gov. christ signed the franchise bill? have you read? last i saw was both the house and senate has passed and it was heading to him for signature.

In orlando area we already have 1ghz nodes and every new build area is built to 1gig specs. SA doesnt make 750 or 870 gear anymore so all new equipment is 1ghz

Are they forceing verizon to put their plant everywhere like cable does?

if you are referring to this bill, there is a story at the cable tv forum which ran in our local paper that i had someone post for me. my understanding is this will allow companies like verizon and at&t to expand their services into counties where they aren't the provider. supporters of the bill believe this levels the playing field by allowing consumers more choice as to whom they want.

It does by allowing the phone companies to expand, However the bill also doesnt require them to serve all areas in the county like the cable companies have to. Thus giving the phone company free reign to only install their services to the "money" areas who are more likely going to buy the service or at least afford the higher end packages. That is in no way fair. This bill is to the advantage of the affluant neighborhoods and the phone companies. Not your avg customer or the cable companies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts