Big announcement by Verizon! (FiOS)

Microsoft almost always transfers to me at 5 Mb/s.

When you see the download speed in the box, don’t forget to make a speed adjustment. The numbers provided are megabytes per second, not megabits. My downloads will show something like 640 MB/s – I multiply that number by 8 bits-per-byte to get the speed (5120 Mb/s in that case).

Yeah, I do the conversion, but you know what, I never took the time to download from MS since I got Uverse.... So I just did it! It was nice if only for confirmation to see my download pretty easily attain 5meg on my 10meg connection.

just another reason to be glad to be rid of Charter, their 10meg service barely let me get 1meg from MS.

Same here, I am happy with U-verse internet, their 6Mbps seems much faster than Charters 10mbps when I download stuff and browse websites like satguys.
I believe Charter has bad routing and AT&T has the best routing.
I just wish we could get higher speeds than 10mbps with AT&T, and their price is kinda high too.
Is it possible to get a better deal for the 10mbps connection?

I managed to get the 10meg service discounted the other day to the same price as the 6meg for 12 months when I called in just to ask if they were going to add a local channel.

At the end of the call, they offerred me 2 options:
upgrade to U400 for 2 month free to try it out
or
10meg at 6meg price for 12 months.

No commitments on either offer.

Yep, either or are much better than Comcast/Charter or any cable internet companies.
If you are close to the colo that is.

DSL/FiOS speeds are much different than cable speeds, it seems like they are much faster even though they have the higher speeds advantage.
This leads to only one answer, cable's routing sucks big time.

I am very annoyed that Verizon is only expanding slowly in the East coast, they aren't coming west at all.
Its been years now, and the company itself is slow.
Look at U-Verse, they are expanding very fast no problem.
If Verizon takes another 10 years to come to the west coast, the whole purpose of FiOS will fail.

Verizon is putting in Fios internet in some areas north and east of Seattle. We just got it a few weeks ago where I live. We were told by the installer that they are planning on offering TV here in late August.

Wow, your making me jealous now. :/

FiOS users get the lowest pings out there..

I work for Verizon. FiOS is available in NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA (their original NYNEX/Bell Atlantic "East" territory), and in FL, TX, CA, RI, SC, WA, OR and IN (their original GTE "West" territory). Note that FiOS TV is not currently available in CT, SC or WA, but FiOS Internet is.

More interesting to most than the 50/20 speed will be that on 6/22 Vz increased the 5/2 base speeds to 10/2 in all states that were not already at 10/2 (MA, PA, DE, MD, VA, TX, CA, RI, SC, WA, OR, IN). We also increased our 15/2 speed to 20/5 (PA, DE, MD, VA, TX, CA, RI, SC, WA, OR, IN) And we increased our 15/15 speed to 20/20 (PA, DE, MD, VA, FL, TX, CA, SC, WA, OR, IN).

These are the speeds that new customers will get. If you're an existing customer, you'll need to contact Vz, and possibly renew/renegotiate your term/contract.

Last edited:
I'd be more than happy to take FIOS internet, but I'm stuck in AT&T ILEC (Ameritech) territory. U-Verse seems to be in parts of my city, but apparently not the part I live in (based upon multiple availability checks).

Plus - I'm not sure AT&T is willing to sell U-Verse Internet only. I don't want the video, but would be ecstatic to get (and willing to pay for) the aforementioned 10/1.5 package.

supposedly, you can get the internet only if you do the install, get free tv for 1 month then cancel the video service.

No good for me. I'm at 15/2 for $50/mo. To get 20/5 it would be $3 more per month, and I would need a year contract.

I thought it would be an automatic upgrade. Sucks to have to switch from month to month to a contract, tho.

-John

UPDATE: Just called, and it looks like the website is incorrect, and it is a free upgrade from 15/2 to 20/5. :)

Last edited:
Can anyone show me the sites out there that will allow me to actually use the full feature speeds Fios is offering? I rarely find a site that lets me download much over 1meg speeds. Sure I would welcome some increased uploads over my current 1.5meg, but what sites allow uses to up load at 20meg?

If you are just downloading from a website here and there this might not mean much to you. But a lot of business, home business, and power users do things like online backups, streaming video for meetings, video games, streaming security cameras, streaming this and that, web servers, email servers, etc. Everybody doesn't need the faster speed but many do. Those of us that could use this speed, know it. You probably don't need it if you are asking what you can do with the extra speed.

Skottey, I understand what you are saying believe me, but what I am doing is looking at this from the Residential perspective that most users do. They are going to ask the same thing. So Verizon needs to do a better job in explaining the benefits of this to people instead of saying it's faster. Hell, I backup my personal files (about 300gig) and would like to have increased upload and even download for restores, but what % of people do this? Not a a large percentage in the verizon footprint.
Business owners for sure will like the upgrades and will be eager to sign up. Heck the prices they are offering it at are very good IMHO.

Skottey, I understand what you are saying believe me, but what I am doing is looking at this from the Residential perspective that most users do. They are going to ask the same thing. So Verizon needs to do a better job in explaining the benefits of this to people instead of saying it's faster. Hell, I backup my personal files (about 300gig) and would like to have increased upload and even download for restores, but what % of people do this? Not a a large percentage in the verizon footprint.
Business owners for sure will like the upgrades and will be eager to sign up. Heck the prices they are offering it at are very good IMHO.

Gamers too.... especially if you are playing with somebody that is also on Verizon. Since your always limited to the slowest part of your connection (usually upload), you could get 20mb speeds (your upload) with another user on Verizon. That would be a great leap forward.

Also, from the residential perspective, VPN users that connect to the office.

I wish we all had 50/20 connections. 20/20 connections would even be great.

I work for Verizon. FiOS is available in NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA (their original NYNEX/Bell Atlantic "East" territory), and in FL, TX, CA, RI, SC, WA, OR and IN (their original GTE "West" territory). Note that FiOS TV is not currently available in CT, SC or WA, but FiOS Internet is.

More interesting to most than the 50/20 speed will be that on 6/22 Vz increased the 5/2 base speeds to 10/2 in all states that were not already at 10/2 (MA, PA, DE, MD, VA, TX, CA, RI, SC, WA, OR, IN). We also increased our 15/2 speed to 20/5 (PA, DE, MD, VA, TX, CA, RI, SC, WA, OR, IN) And we increased our 15/15 speed to 20/20 (PA, DE, MD, VA, FL, TX, CA, SC, WA, OR, IN).

These are the speeds that new customers will get. If you're an existing customer, you'll need to contact Vz, and possibly renew/renegotiate your term/contract.

Since you work for FiOS, does VZ have any plans to come to Nevada for FiOS TV/Internet?

Yikes, after the free upgrade, looks like my monthly charges went from 49.99 to 60.99!!! I'll have to call the billing department tomorrow and find out what happened. This is according to their online account info.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)