Big Brother is Watching!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Robbert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Southern New Hampshire
I don't know if anyone else has had this happen to them... I have an HR20 HD DVR and yesterday out of the blue I got a call from a tech at DTV who said that they noticed that my DVR has been displaying "Searching for Sat Signal" more than the average... He went through a bunch of stuff trying to find whether or not there was a problem, and ended up with deciding to replace my "old" 5LNB dish with a slimline at no charge to me.
I was both happily surprised as well as feeling a bit uneasy since I'm sure that's not the only information going back to DTV.... :confused:

What do you guys think?

--
Robbert

Robert,

Disconnect the phone line (s) and call him back. Ask what he sees now? This is a new scam I bet.

Now, if someone calls and asks that you get the whole household in front of the telly so they can inventory the population don't worry. That IS Big Brother!

We were warned.

Joe

So it's uploading diagnostic data about your box to Directv? So what? They spell out what they collect in their privacy policy and you can opt out of having viewing data reported. I'm just as big a anti-big brother guy as anyone, but I can't see how diagnostic information on your signal strength is a privacy issue.

Yup.. That's what the tech said.. DirecTV is trying to be pro-active on issues with signal and DVR. For a company that's notoriously difficult to get a hold of (especially a human that knows what they're talking about), I was kinda taken aback by this.
I agree, it's not necessarily bad, but by the same token, there is a lot of commotion about Microsoft collecting info about your PC as well. Of course if you have a legal version of Windows, who cares, right?? ;)

Anyway.. I'll just assume it's a positive development for now. Until DirecTV changes the channel on my DVR for me remotely since they feel I shouldn't be watching so much <insert show/channel>.. Hahahaha! :)

And yes, I do have it connected to my home network. Initially to try the streaming audio and photos. That never seemed to work quite right, so I gave up on it, but left the cable connected. I guess I'm reaping the rewards (?) of that now. :what

Robbert

Both companies have recently started this, and I say bravo!

A lot of people have rain fade and they think its just satellite techonology when if you are properly setup and locked down you should rarely ever have rain fade.

I applaud both companies for taking this progressive aproach in helping their customers get more from their satellite service.

I don't care how high your readings are, you will get rain fade. Most of my readings are 97-100. It is inherent with the technology. PS my last install was a few weeks ago after reroofing the house. It was performed by a trainee with a senior supervisor standing over him checking and teaching him every step of the way.

It's smart of DTV to do this. They not only are proactive with the customer but can pinpoint failures with their delivery system.

Now if Dish would do this with 129 and fix the issue with whatever size dish is needed instead of saying it's not an issue many more people up north here would be happy.

I don't know if anyone else has had this happen to them... I have an HR20 HD DVR and yesterday out of the blue I got a call from a tech at DTV who said that they noticed that my DVR has been displaying "Searching for Sat Signal" more than the average... He went through a bunch of stuff trying to find whether or not there was a problem, and ended up with deciding to replace my "old" 5LNB dish with a slimline at no charge to me.
I was both happily surprised as well as feeling a bit uneasy since I'm sure that's not the only information going back to DTV.... :confused:

What do you guys think?

--
Robbert

Think the next time you decide to walk in front of your HR20 naked?.Put on some underwear.;)

P.S. No tiger stripes please!.:D

I think it is the new world orders way of taking us over. Pretty soon the black helmut helicopters will be flying over your house. Global warmming will be deterimined to cause rain fade and signal loss. The world is comming to an end the sky is falling armageddon is around the corner lol Sounds like a decent movie anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.