Big Day Tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Inno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
NW Ontario, Canada
First day of solar outage for Hispasat 30°W in my area..........this will allow me to see just where the heck it is from my location. Some of you may remember over the summer I was trying to get it by removing trees with no luck. Well tomorrow I should be able to see if I was even anywhere close. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!
:)

First day of solar outage for Hispasat 30°W in my area..........this will allow me to see just where the heck it is from my location. Some of you may remember over the summer I was trying to get it by removing trees with no luck. Well tomorrow I should be able to see if I was even anywhere close. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!:)
Haha, locking Hispasat is a great feeling, just got it the other day. I learned that I will never see Hispasat at my other home without a huge tower or a forest fire, but where I'm at tonight -- well, it's on in the living room as I type. We have had nothing but sunshine this year for solar outage, so often all we get are clouds here. Oh, you're in Ontario, I suspect you know something about clouds.

I am in the process of relocating my array.
In PA i was really concerned that i would not see the sun because of the
monsoon season here all year so far.
hopefully today the sun will Shine on meeeeee- too!

Really a lot of rain this year .

Best of luck to All the Big Bird Hunters today!!!:laser:

It's looking good! 8:06 and partly cloudy but I can see the sun quite well.........only 16 minutes to go and the sun should be very close to the opening I cut earlier this year. Elevation looks good.

About 8:10 taken through my welding mask.
P1010059.JPG

Haha, locking Hispasat is a great feeling, just got it the other day. I learned that I will never see Hispasat at my other home without a huge tower or a forest fire, but where I'm at tonight -- well, it's on in the living room as I type. We have had nothing but sunshine this year for solar outage, so often all we get are clouds here. Oh, you're in Ontario, I suspect you know something about clouds.

The last two weeks have been nothing but sunshine then all of a sudden yesterday we had VERY black clouds and a few small t-storms. I was a little concerned but things are looking better today.

I dream of getting 30W at my location. Too many trees and those aren't mine. I'm lucky to get 72W-131W in the summer and maybe 61W to 139W in the winter.
Next house won't have a tree anywhere in sight...not that I'm moving anytime soon lol....Blind

new local for my 30w will require a lot of cutting,darn it, only other option would be to leave a nice big 10ft dish in front of the house forever....30 w was just one of a few in general area i wanted. maybe if i go up higher, and paint it grass colored , it wont look so out of place. grass colored from the side and sky colored from underneath ... could work.

Well.......I was close. Although right when I went out I had maybe 30sec before a cloud rolled in and messed things up for me. The best pic I got was when I forgot to turn the flash off when going through my welding mask. It is the most revealing. Looks like there are 3 maybe 4 poplar trees in the way and perhaps one branch of a larger one closer to the house.
Now that many of the leaves have fallen I think I will have a better chance so I will make another attempt later today. I have a one month old daughter in the house so that means less time for other things for the time being. Although I'm sure my wife will appreciate 30° if I am able to get it. So here are a couple more pictures, on through the welding mask(flash on, the others didn't focus well with flash off), one without. Now I at least know what I am dealing with and I am sure I will be able to get it! P1010061.JPGP1010060.JPG

It looks like you should be able to get it without cutting more trees. The leaves falling off those middle trees beneath the sun will definitely help

Yes, I believe you are correct. I may have to cut some to get year round reception but for now I'll settle for any reception there. Hopefully I'll have a chance tomorrow to play with it.

Hispasat 30°W

So if Hispasat at 30°W falls out of the sky or suddenly stops working it's all my fault............'cause I NAILED IT!!!! Having the leaves gone and the solar outages to pinpoint it worked out well. Finally got around to searching for it this evening and got it in less than 10 minutes. :D:D:D

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions when I was looking for it over the summer. I ended up not needing to invert the dish, I'm getting great signal with a normal orientation and a modified C-Band mount on my 1m star choice dish.

Now that I've found it.........now what? I need another challenge. Well.....I guess I could watch some TV.

Glad you got it........ it is such a great feeling of accomplishment!!!

congrats

I know I cant pick it up anymore where I use to as the trees grew :(
Only spot I know of would be on the tip top of the roof and I really dont wanna do that :)

Only spot I know of would be on the tip top of the roof and I really dont wanna do that :)
Has there ever been a thread on the most Herculean and amazing dish installations for whichever satellite? If I did put up a tall mast up at my one place, how would I aim the dish for Hispasat when the dish needs to be way up there? All I can think of are the words widow maker.

congrats

I know I cant pick it up anymore where I use to as the trees grew :(

I know you have a HOA where you live but I could sneak down with my chainsaw one night and help you out. Who'd blame a crazy Canuk for cuttin' down a few trees? Or better yet, I could ship you down a box full of beavers. By the time they get to you they should be plenty hungry. Just set 'em loose and point 'em to the "problem trees". Shouldn't take too long.

As for the most Herculean dish install. I can't remember all of them but when I did it for a living I ended up being in some pretty stupid places. One that comes to mind is the top of a 2 story house perched high atop a hill overlooking a lake. It was mid January and the wind was whipping across the lake. I was wearing my mustang snowmobile suit..........using a lighter to make the cable pliable enough to get the ends on.

I've never tried to hit Hispasat 30°W but in about 4 more weeks I think I have found a place I will have a great shot. Then if I fall in love:D I will have to make some trees go away when spring comes..;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)