Big dish update from your friends at Satellite Receivers/Programming Center

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's a conspiracy I still say that we should be able to hit our receivers as is an they should work. I just took the update with the X4 tile and maps now all I need is a hit. All my tiles are there and I'm watching PBS Net on T4.

In all honesty I think it may have something to do with the guide data more than anything.

I can deal with the lack of an EPG. Heck, half the time I'm only watching VH1 Classic and the kids are watching Nick Jr. I pretty much know the schedule on those 2 channels without having to look it up. If this whole 'wipe it out' is for the EPG, then I'm happy to go with absolutely no EPG.

Answers will be forthcoming I'm sure, Between the nuts here with testing and Mike Kohl may have some inside info on sattalk. If its a guide issue turn the guide bit off. Mike told me that when they tested the 4d in the summer that the guide went crazy with both datastreams and a MR was the only way it worked right. But did the receiver authorize from the other EMM?

In theory any DC-2 receiver ID number that is in the computer no matter what stream can receive a hit. After 1/4 the 4096 EMM will not conflict with the 4160 EMM. I doubt there will be any conflicts as far as programming goes. The guide may act nuts though since your still set up for the massive 2am update instead of the trickle update. Now the guide is an option in the 4DTV if you could get authorized with your current maps intact and there is a guide issue just have that turned off, problem solved. I think the reason for all this goes beyond that though since the programmers don't want us to see there distro stuff to begin with because they probably want to relax the encryption. If there is no product except commercial gear to receive it it keeps it away from prying eyes and allows them more control. Screw them I have a right to watch what I can pick up with my equipment distro or not.

So 4096 is Motorola and 4160 is HITS? Who is "2" ? I'm seeing that one in the list too.

23szz2q.jpg

I finally set my 905 up on C-band dish again with the dish pointed at W5, then did a soft reboot.
Sure enough I have the same info & picked up X4. And took hits without being subbed on the DMXs. All smiles.
I had already done a MR after replacing the battery.
Same result in EMM: 4096, 4160, 2
2 means two are found.

Motorola: 4096
Comcast: 4160

Sadly some true colors are now showing. After the whining about pizza dish quality and how 4DTV SD blows away pizza HD, which is of course technically specious, it now appears there are two higher ranking holy grails for certain die hards: (1) "my 4DTV is irreplaceable as a dish mover" and/or (2) "the real use of my 4DTV is to watch ITC feeds". So this was not about 4DTV subscription quality after all.

I respect both reasons because (1) although an actuator controller replacement is easy and of low cost, the choices for driving a polarotor servo (for anyone who still uses them) are fairly limited and (2) this is a FTA forum, even though combo mode, 8PSK and DVB-S2 will in time make this argument rather moot. I have little respect for those who fashion conspiracies lurking under every rock, when companies declare a technology end-of-life and others heroically endeavor to keep it running a little longer.

I retired my 920 last winter when I discovered Shaw Direct was offering nearly the same data rates and quality I had been getting with 4DTV-accessible master feeds. With the demise of HD on 4DTV, I could once again receive much, much better HD than is available on DN, DirecTV or cable in my area. I had to invest a little, but I have no contract with Shaw (is there an echo in the room?).

My 920 is over ten years old, which to me is an eternity for a satellite receiver. I got mine for free, but even if I had bought one several years back, I would feel I got my money's worth out of it. Nothing changes in January with respect to its value as a dish mover or a DCII ITC hunter, but I vastly prefer my GBOXes and nearly anything I would want in DCII can't be received by a 920 anyway. Regardless, I tip my hat to SRL for keeping a reasonable option open for those who really want to have reliable and high quality C-band subscriptions.

Well said Pendragon!
Wait and see what happens before going postal, nothing to be gained by spitting vitriol at the providers until all the facts are in....cooler heads also have better blood pressures. There may very well be some "undocumented features" in the new firmware that will pleasantly surprise you. Until the change, and until folks have had some time to explore the new setup, IMHO it is premature to throw the baby out with the dishwater.

I finally set my 905 up on C-band dish again with the dish pointed at W5, then did a soft reboot.
Sure enough I have the same info & picked up X4. And took hits without being subbed on the DMXs. All smiles.
I had already done a MR after replacing the battery.
Same result in EMM: 4096, 4160, 2

You will show both EMM providers until the Motorola SAC is pulled down on 1/4, then our receivers will see only the 4060 Comcast SAC.

You will show both EMM providers until the Motorola SAC is pulled down on 1/4, then our receivers will see only the 4060 Comcast SAC.

But what will commercial units be using to get authorized for masters? Is there a EMM in Combo/MegaPipe that we can't see?

I've noticed that some people are playing with the MR (master/factory reset) to see what kind of things happen. Isn't that a bit "dangerous"? I have some sats showing up in the programmed sats list that I didn't setup and I was thinking that a MR will cure that issue but I don't want to screw things up.

I wasn't so much playing with the MR on the 905 after replacing the battery as trying to get the count in diagnostics down from the max of 1920. This I had done just after the AI tile testing had been done earlier this year.
Until today, the 905 had remained shelved simply because I didn't have time for it. I may sub to a W5 ala carte package for one month then disconnect before the 1/4 deadline.

But what will commercial units be using to get authorized for masters? Is there a EMM in Combo/MegaPipe that we can't see?

The commercial services are on a different datastream that the 4DTV cannot see, so no way the 4D will display that info. Although when a commercial channel goes FP or ZK the 4D will decode it. You can tell channels that run commercial only by the message "This channel is not available" (see attached) We will see allot of this come next year I'm sure once 4096 is gone.

Attachments

• CDS.jpg
    CDS.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 196
The commercial services are on a different datastream that the 4DTV cannot see, so no way the 4D will display that info. Although when a commercial channel goes FP or ZK the 4D will decode it. You can tell channels that run commercial only by the message "This channel is not available" (see attached) We will see allot of this come next year I'm sure once 4096 is gone.

I've seen that on the like 5 non-combo mode channels on SES1.

The DSR-4500X allows you manually enter the EMM. However, I've never found a ZK or FP channel that didn't work with the EMM set to zero (in the 4500). I'm not real sure why it's relevant in the 922 & 920, but not the 4500X.

Cheers

Here's my most recent take on the whole situation.

I believe that SRL / Skyvision have come up with a bullet-proof method of obtaining C-Band programming via W5. Their "7-Step" program to convert our units to a Comcast Box will work. I also have great faith in the SatelliteGuys here to come up with an alternative method to obtain the same programming. I'm willing to bet money that a SatelliteGuy somewhere will come up with a method of resetting the authorization in a receiver to obtain the W5 services without losing the generics and the ability to move the dish.

I think that the next few weeks are going to be pretty exciting in regards to tinkering and testing to get the process perfected. I know that I'm going to be closely analyzing the "7 Step" process and will see how it can be modified to keep all of the satellite tiles.

At this point in time, I am watching the W5 programming via the X4 tile. I'm keeping my hopes alive that I'll somehow be able to continue to do so after January 4.

Here's my most recent take on the whole situation.

I believe that SRL / Skyvision have come up with a bullet-proof method of obtaining C-Band programming via W5. Their "7-Step" program to convert our units to a Comcast Box will work. I also have great faith in the SatelliteGuys here to come up with an alternative method to obtain the same programming. I'm willing to bet money that a SatelliteGuy somewhere will come up with a method of resetting the authorization in a receiver to obtain the W5 services without losing the generics and the ability to move the dish.

I think that the next few weeks are going to be pretty exciting in regards to tinkering and testing to get the process perfected. I know that I'm going to be closely analyzing the "7 Step" process and will see how it can be modified to keep all of the satellite tiles.

At this point in time, I am watching the W5 programming via the X4 tile. I'm keeping my hopes alive that I'll somehow be able to continue to do so after January 4.

:D:D:D Were working on it and keeping in touch with people in high places.

The DSR-4500X allows you manually enter the EMM. However, I've never found a ZK or FP channel that didn't work with the EMM set to zero (in the 4500). I'm not real sure why it's relevant in the 922 & 920, but not the 4500X.

Cheers

It's only relevant if your subscribing. Right now you can go to F1R ku Shaw with your 4DTV and watch the FP Shaw stuff using a different EMM than Shaw. ZK and FP don't care.

...I'm willing to bet money that a SatelliteGuy somewhere will come up with a method of resetting the authorization in a receiver to obtain the W5 services without losing the generics and the ability to move the dish...

I'm betting your right. The big question is how to get maps back if you ever lose them once Mot shuts down.

:D:D:D Were working on it and keeping in touch with people in high places.

That's good to know. Worth keeping an eye on. ;)

Cheers

I'm betting your right. The big question is how to get maps back if you ever lose them once Mot shuts down.

Most of us have UPS, but around here, I've seen outages that last 10 hours or longer. Does one lose the maps during a complete shut down of the receiver, as in as if it were unplugged? If so, then I guess my 922 would be screwed sooner or later, since one of these lengthy power outages is bound to happen sooner or later.

Most of us have UPS, but around here, I've seen outages that last 10 hours or longer. Does one lose the maps during a complete shut down of the receiver, as in as if it were unplugged? If so, then I guess my 922 would be screwed sooner or later, since one of these lengthy power outages is bound to happen sooner or later.

I don't think you'll lose maps unless you do a master reset. Or at least i think so.:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts