Big News for Voom on E*, can D* get a similar deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey Darrell I see you sig says "9.16ft" I just got my PLV-Z3 in last weekend and LOVE it. I am running 106" (8.83ft) myself. What projector & screen do you run?

charper1 said:
Hey Darrell I see you sig says "9.16ft" I just got my PLV-Z3 in last weekend and LOVE it. I am running 106" (8.83ft) myself. What projector & screen do you run?
Cool! I have a the Boxlight 2HD which is a Sanyo Z2 clone and I really like it. In about 2 years I plan to upgrade to the latest and greatest that has a higher contrast ratio, but for now, I am very pleased with this unit. I built a DIY screen using the JoAnn Fabrics black out cloth. I enclosed the screen with a 4" felt frame and it looks great.

Alan Gordon said:
If that is so, then I guess that DirecTV has used a lot more leverage then VOOM did!!

NOTE: The above was copied from SkyReport

~Alan

The FCC denied it because Voom was going out of business. Even the FCC can't keep a complaint on the books from a company that is out of business so they have to mark it as resolved and the easiest and cheapest way is by denying it. The fact of the matter is that if a company who isn't going out of business within a month submits a complaint about InHD the FCC will have to accept the complaint and pretty much force InDemand to offer that provider those channels at the same price as they do Time Warner Cable and the like. The rules clearly state that only a channel running over a closed fiber network is allowed to be exclusive and many Comcast sports RSNs run over fiber. Those feeds never leave a Comcast network/system. Because InHD is hosted on a satellite and received via satellite by the various cable companies they are required by law to offer those channels to any provider who wants them for a fair price. In this case InDemand can play hardball and force say DirecTV to file with the FCC and wait for about 6 months to a year until the process is done. That is actually a way for InDemand to allow it to be cable only. Also by having a bug that says only on cable isn't against the rules of the FCC because it is indeed only on cable but they aren't saying satellite can't offer it. This is very tricky marketing and people who understand the rules know that InDemand can't hold it from DirecTV but most channels aren't worth a provider to spend almost a year dealing with the FCC. Because DirecTV is big on sports they feel that InHD is worthwhile to work for months to attain it.

I know I went long here but you need to understand how these companies work.

I hope Direct can pick up MonstersHD...its a very cool ch.

The frustrating aspect of this is that DirecTv really needs to make an announcement soon or they will risk losing contract subscribers to Dish. While I would have rather heard Dish mention UniversalHD, CinemaxHD, TMCHD, & StarzHD...Echostar has seriously trumped DirecTv.

This seems to be a trend though....I used to be a big fan of Dish but after 8 years of equipment issues, poor customer service, and an even poor equipment policy..I jumped to Voom. DirecTv simply wants too much $$$ to lure me as a customer and I'm so over Shady Charlie Ergen...I'm thinking cable might be the way to go.

Write in for programing

Thanks for your suggestion about the VOOM channels! We're always looking for ways to enhance our services, and customer feedback is very important to us. I have forwarded your comments on to DIRECTV Management. We often make changes to our service based on customer requests, and we conduct customer surveys on a regular basis to get feedback and new ideas

I suggest every one interested in the voom channels (hdmonster, Rave, and rush for me) to go to *D's website and then contact. while doing an online form it will have a choice for programing. Above is the message they sent me and if more people write in about it, the harder they will work to bring them to *d.

I'd be very happy if D* picks them up, but I'm not going to cry a lot of tears if they don't. I LIKED the Voom exclusives, but they weren't essential. I actually liked more the fact that for $79.99 I could get every premium and non premium channel they offered. It was a great price point. As a new D* subscriber, I can honestly say I with the demise of Voom I wouldn't have gone anywhere but here. Sunday Ticket is simply too enticing.

LonghornXP said:
I know I went long here but you need to understand how these companies work.

While I read the article to say that VOOM pulled the complaint, everything else I already knew. The point of my whole post was simply to state that if DirecTV were to offer InHD, it looks like they will have to use some muscle to get it.

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
While I read the article to say that VOOM pulled the complaint, everything else I already knew. The point of my whole post was simply to state that if DirecTV were to offer InHD, it looks like they will have to use some muscle to get it.

~Alan

I see what your saying but all that has to be used is the courts and Murdock calling his friends.

LonghornXP said:
I see what your saying but all that has to be used is the courts and Murdock calling his friends.

Very true, but still more difficult than the usual channel deal.

However, on a interesting note, Elstonhill on AVSForum.com posted an interesting article regarding Starz entitled Starz Struggles that mentions that Starz will be doing negotiations with Comcast, Dish Network and DirecTV within the next 12 months. It also has some interesting comments regarding Starz and DirecTV.

~Alan

While your right about the close fiber networks et al

The NextWave wireless decision by the Suprime Court and resulting precidents that became of it; mean the FCC is obligated to follow through on the complaint and decide. This is provided that the company i.e. CVC persues the complaint with the FCC.

Theoretically the FCC could rule in CVC's favor and D* would use the decision to negotiate with INDemand.

The real reason that CVC decided to drop the compaint is probably due to cost and closure of the Voom operation.

LONGHORN....1st wanna thank you on your insight dude...there have only been 3 people of name that have always pulled through when they had inside info...you being one of them...thanks again. Now, based on the info you recieved in the last few days from 'the little birdy'....do you think IN YOUR OPINION, should people that are still on the fence and/or have the patients to wait....should they wait till this big anouncement from Directv? I was leaning towards cable to have SOMETHING until this announcement is made due to most cable companies offerring no contract...

salsadancer7 said:
LONGHORN....1st wanna thank you on your insight dude...there have only been 3 people of name that have always pulled through when they had inside info...you being one of them...thanks again. Now, based on the info you recieved in the last few days from 'the little birdy'....do you think IN YOUR OPINION, should people that are still on the fence and/or have the patients to wait....should they wait till this big anouncement from Directv? I was leaning towards cable to have SOMETHING until this announcement is made due to most cable companies offerring no contract...

I would wait not because I don't think many of these channels will come but for these reasons alone. To start I'm assuming that you have never been a D* customer in the past and even if you have you should wait.

D* will be working to have all HD customers upgraded with the proper dish and hardware by the end of this year. That covers every HD customer not just those in the top 30 markets and yes I said 30 markets. I would wait because D* will be laying out very clear plans and offers in late June or early July.

For one thing the multiroom HD DVR might very well be out and available before football season. Now factor in that the biggest NFL Sunday Ticket markets are getting HD locals. Now add the multiroom HD DVR as a rental with no upfront costs. Now add a dramatic increase in national HD channels. Now add that new customers will get at least the same offer as last year and I'm hearing it could be better. Here is the offer last year to give you an idea.

Customer pays 250 bucks for NFL Sunday Ticket and gets 4 free months of total choice premier with locals. Last year that was about a 90 dollar per month package for a total value of 360 bucks.

I'm hearing that this year customers could have access to the following below.

HD multiroom DVR and I'm hearing the rental for this will be 14.95/month with no DVR service charge. Customer would still pay the mirror fee for extra rooms but that 14.95/month would cover the server and upto three client boxes.

Customers who buy NFL Sunday Ticket which is planned to cost 250 bucks to get the HD games and interactive features. Now again this price is the full price so the regular price should be at least twenty bucks cheaper with the early bird price being around 200 bucks and renewel customers will be around 180 bucks or so.

Customers this year will most likely get the same 4 free months of total choice premier with locals which is better because this package is a good 4 bucks a month more this year than last year. I'm hearing that customers will also get 4 free months of the new expanded HD Package.

Also this is a new customer type promo but rest assured that existing customers will be getting some incentive to both get their multiroom HD DVR, get their HD Pak and to add more premium channels. That incentive will be both new HD channels and also discounts as well.

They will be pretty much announcing all of this at the sametime around July.

Sorry to go long here but all this above is why I would wait because I would hate for you to become a new customer now and miss out on the best new customer offer ever provided by any company.

Fair enough....THANKS LONGHORN....I was a previous Directv customer....I left them because they were TOO expensive AND their customer services was...ah...shall way say IT SUCKED...! Not to mention their terrible amount of HD. But I will go with Adelphia with NO contract for now......when Directv steps to the plate....we shall see....like I have always have said....on a level playing field...same amount of HD a SD channels as everyone else....Directv will ALWAYS have that trump card....the NFL Package....Well, let's just hope that Directv comes through like you have dude...thanks again!

Longhorn and anyone else in the know, originally there was a lot of rumors regarding a trade up price towards the HD DVR and client boxes. Over the years I have shelled out a lot of money for equipment. I am not interested in paying an additional 14.95 or so a month that I don't have to pay now. At the moment by monthly bill is over a hundred dollars. I own my equipment and feel strongly that there should be some kind of deal like the one discussed with a trade in value instead of a rental fee. I don't have one now and don't want one. Is there any information about the trade in?

Voom's dead......D* needs to pick up 1 HD channel

:D Didn't Voom have an exclusive deal for Playboy HD? It is time for D* to step up to the plate! Let's get the most important HD channel there is to offer! Who's with me???????? :dev :D

Didn't Voom have an exclusive deal for Playboy HD? It is time for D* to step up to the plate! Let's get the most important HD channel there is to offer! Who's with me????????

Can I hear a H#!! Yeah

J_slimz said:
:D Didn't Voom have an exclusive deal for Playboy HD? It is time for D* to step up to the plate! Let's get the most important HD channel there is to offer! Who's with me???????? :dev :D

They should also offer monthly plans instead of the ala carte deals for the other adult stuff. That's one thing I miss about E*. :dev

I agree with slacker, we are happily watching Voom HD channels on E* this morning but if D* adds StarzHD, MaxHD and/or TMCHD we would jump ship to D* quicker than my index finger can dial ValueElectronics.

slacker9876 said:
I think our and D*'s best interests will be served if they move to the mainstream first like StarzHD and TMCHD, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)