Big Ten Channel Active

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
There is nothing you can show me since you're not understanding the problem. You are focusing on price and not the real issue at the heart of the matter. The real issue is that customers are paying for programming they do not want, programming they do not support, and programming they may even find objectionable. Why should a customer pay to support my watching ESPN when they don't watch sports and may even find boxing and football objectionable? And why should I pay to support someone watching the MAMBLA Lifestyle Channel or the Terrorist Network when the thought of a portion of my monthly subscription going toward supporting Man-Boy Love and terrorism is reprehensible?

There is a lot of programming that a subscriber may find offensive because it glorifies violence and disrespects women by treating them in a demeaning fashion, for example. Sure, the customer can simply "lock the channel" and perhaps remove it from their guide, but why should they be paying to support this channnel in the first place? It is not fair and it is not what the majority of American's want.

In our case we subscribe to Dish Network's AT250, but we only watch 15-20 channels...and three of those are "must have" which are only available in the AT250 programming pack. Personally, I am willing to pay just as much, if not more, for programming we actually watch. Like a large number of Americans, I am not willing to pay one cent towards programming I do not watch, do not want, and do not support in any form or fashion.

While the mega-programming packs may be most cost efficient, they are certainly not the only choices that should be offered to consumers. Personally, I really like the programming tiers, programming packs, and a la carte options being offered by StarChoice satellite service in Canada. I am not against the mega-programming packs, but consumers need to have a lot more programming pack and a la carte options available to them.;)

Now, I'll be more than happy if you can show me how funds from my AT250 subscription are not going to support Sci-Fi, FX, BET, and two hundred other channels I don't want?:confused:

Gee, there's a ton of Shopping channels I have to pay for , I don't want to do that either, but you pay for them to get other channels you do want.

As a E* subscriber, I thought I'd come on over to the other side and see what I missed last night. Not too much discussion here about the actual programming.

Any word on what the actual product was like. Good studio production? Hosts? Picture quality? Commercial support? Anything at all? Maybe there was another thread that I just missed.

I'm considering making the jump soon. Just curious to see what the channel offered on its maiden voyage.

I've been very happy with the coverage so far.
It will get that much better soon when it is in HD...... Next week, next month ??? any word on this yet, other than waiting for the sat to go live ???
I hope it will be in HD right away.

Jimbo

My opinion of the Big Ten Channel thus far is nothing that blows your socks off. It reminds me 100% of my local RSN.

For example:

My local RSN is Fox Sports Detroit. They do a special show all week long called "Spartan Sport Zone", and "Wolverine Sport Zone". The style of reporting and the type of stories the Big Ten Network does is the same as those programs I watch. Compared to ESPN it is B-list reporters, B-list stories.. just like your RSN. The difference is you get to see the stories and reporting on all the Big Ten schools instead of just your own.

The only reason anyone who is not a die-hard fan of the Big Ten or a school in the conference would watch is because there is a live game with a match-up they want to watch, or their team is playing a Big Ten team when the network is broadcasting the game.

Me being a Michigan State fan, and casual Big Ten spectator, will be watching a lot of this channel.

So whats wrong with the RSN type of programming , it's not ESPN, but it's not suppose to be .

Jimbo

So whats wrong with the RSN type of programming , it's not ESPN, but it's not suppose to be .

Jimbo

I am not complaining at all. What I am saying is that compared to the networks with more money like ESPN it is B-List. Its not like the Big Ten Network has a stunning studio, or some extra pizzazz like an ESPN or the Yes Network. I will watch the Big Ten Channel like I watch my RSN... when I watch games.

I never watch Best Damn Sports Show, or anything that gives me a special look at training camps. I fill any "extra" Sports viewing with ESPN, or ESPN news, so I know what's going on around the rest of the sports world.

Go App State! They are actually taking it to Michigan, in Ann Arbor! I cant believe it. ASU is my alma mater....they are the 2 time defending D1-AA national champs, so they are the real deal!

I love the fact that the game that's suddenly put the BTN on the map is a huge crushing defeat of one of their most important members. "Big Ten fans! Call your cable companies! Tell them you too want to see Big Ten teams humiliated in as many households as possible!" ;)

I love the fact that the game that's suddenly put the BTN on the map is a huge crushing defeat of one of their most important members. "Big Ten fans! Call your cable companies! Tell them you too want to see Big Ten teams humiliated in as many households as possible!" ;)

Also the Bowling Green Falcons defeated Minnesota last night in an excellent game, for those of you that missed it.
BG is in the MAC for those that don't know., the MAC knocks off the Big Ten about once every other year.

Jimbo

Also the Bowling Green Falcons defeated Minnesota last night in an excellent game, for those of you that missed it.
BG is in the MAC for those that don't know., the MAC knocks off the Big Ten about once every other year.

Jimbo

Yeah, the MAC always claims a few scalps during the first couple weeks of the season. Pretty soon the Big Ten will get wise to this and start scheduling I-AA teams. Oh wait....

Jimbo--I know you're a tOSU fan, but would you agree that the BTN's concerns are primarily regional? I think C* and E* are completely in the right for holding out against the BTN, there's no reason to add an RSN to basic programming tiers, and I can't believe they're be on a DirecTV non-sports tier if they weren't part of the same company. Plus it sets a bad precedent--if the Big Ten gets away with this, the other BCS conferences are going to need to follow suit to keep up with recruiting and national media presence and everything. So we'll end up with more squabbling and--god help us--more conferences aligned with a single cable/satellite provider. Which does not do sports fans any favors.

It was right funny yesterday that my son called in the last minute of the App. State game to see if I had it cause he is on TWC and saw the update come thru on ESPN. So I kinda enjoyed havin it and givin him a play by play of the "biggest upset in NCAA history"(according to our papers here in NC).
Bill

Yeah, the MAC always claims a few scalps during the first couple weeks of the season. Pretty soon the Big Ten will get wise to this and start scheduling I-AA teams. Oh wait....

Jimbo--I know you're a tOSU fan, but would you agree that the BTN's concerns are primarily regional? I think C* and E* are completely in the right for holding out against the BTN, there's no reason to add an RSN to basic programming tiers, and I can't believe they're be on a DirecTV non-sports tier if they weren't part of the same company. Plus it sets a bad precedent--if the Big Ten gets away with this, the other BCS conferences are going to need to follow suit to keep up with recruiting and national media presence and everything. So we'll end up with more squabbling and--god help us--more conferences aligned with a single cable/satellite provider. Which does not do sports fans any favors.

That is true, why would people who live in California or Florida want to watch Big Ten sports, granted there might be some people there who went to a Big Ten school, but not the majority.

I live in western PA(Big East and Big Ten area) and it's different here, because Penn State is close to Pitt and WVU, but people don't want to pay extra for that channel. My sister a Penn State Alum told me the games on the BTN are gonna be games that are against nobodies, the big games will be on a major network, so it doesn't bother her not to have the BTN.

This does all sports fans a huge favor ...
The BTN is available in ALL Big Ten areas and surrounding areas as well. We were talking about whether it would be available thru out the united states as some thought, but I have not heard anyone say if it was available in other areas.
I love it and it will be better real soon when it goes HD for D*.

I am glad they are trying to get it on basic, basic is cheaper per channel than the tiered channels., seeing it is cheaper, they feel they want to be on a basic plan so subs don't have to pay extra for it.

Jimbo

? for ya big ten guys with dtv obviously

on saturday i saw appilachian state vs michigan on 220 but on 218 was psu game 219 ohio state or vice versa

220 came through but 218-219 771 searching for sig, is this normal?
some form of regional blackout i guess?

? for ya big ten guys with dtv obviously

on saturday i saw appilachian state vs michigan on 220 but on 218 was psu game 219 ohio state or vice versa

220 came through but 218-219 771 searching for sig, is this normal?
some form of regional blackout i guess?

You sorta answered my question from earlier....
I do believe that it is mentioned that you definatly get your local game,I was unsure about the other games.
I got the OSU game on 218 and the Michigan game on 220 and the Bowling Green / Minnesota game as well, but I did not look at the other channels, so I don't know if they were available to all or not.

Jimbo

im sure i got bg mn game but went to it, what a laugher for the nation

im also pretty sure i was 771 for indiana game on 219 that night as mn is my territory
but didnt check away from tv

okay, we have diff opinions
i knew i should brought my psp to that game lol, maybe next week

Sorry Stone,
I live 20 minutes from BG and have a neice thats a junior down there :)
If Toledo would have played well enough to be in the game with Purdue it would have been a better weekend yet.

Jimbo

Sorry Stone,
I live 20 minutes from BG and have a neice thats a junior down there :)
If Toledo would have played well enough to be in the game with Purdue it would have been a better weekend yet.

Jimbo
i went through there on way from chicago to nashville last winter following wild.

my hopes for gophers are gone i will be bringing my psp for Miami ohio next week

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)