Big Ten Network HD on Dish Network?

Main reason? All the sports channels you just named cost extra. You cant compare national HD offerings and then throw in PPV packages in with them and call it equal.

I'm not calling it equal, I'm calling it advantage to D*.

If you can get the same 50, 75, or 100 national HD channels on both, with the possible exception of VOOM (which will be less valuable as other channels come on line), and D* is offering several additional/optional sports packages, then D* will be seen by most as having a better channel lineup.

All other things being equal, if you poll the average family and tell them that they have a choice of having VOOM or the option of getting the NFL, NCAA football, NCAA basketball, or Major League Baseball, most are not going to pick VOOM.

I feel that E* is playing a dangerous short-term game in that they are riding on what could very likely be a short-term advantage in HD channels and are not out there competing for millions of sports fans.

I can see them not trying to outbid the ridiculous bid that D* put in for NFL:ST. I can partially understand not signing up for the MLB:SI contract. But if they don't bother picking up large regional NCAA networks, that many of their competitors are taking, then they start to look like a niche provider.

I think you have two types of people, ones that want the extra channels for sports PPV/RSN's and the ones that dont care either because there is enough on to watch or they dont like sports.

I can tell you this, I know 5 people(including myself) with satellite(D* and E*), and none of them subscribe to any of the extra sports packages. Know about 5 more with Comcast and they dont subscribe to sports either.

I have to think that its not that big of a deal. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

But if they don't bother picking up large regional NCAA networks, that many of their competitors are taking, then they start to look like a niche provider.

If they don't start picking up the NCAA channels this will be the end of E* for me. I hate to think that many college sports will be unavailable locally. There was a huge issue around me when some college football was on ESPNU and the local cable providers did not carry it. I know a lot of people that switched to D* and E* because of this. E* will lose many people if these channels are not carried.

If every podunk conference starts it's own network, showing schools that only 2-3000 people want to watch, I hope they all fail, like the big2 and the little eight conference.

Regional sports networks do a good job of covering things now.

These new networks are only a revenue grab by conferences.

If every podunk conference starts it's own network, showing schools that only 2-3000 people want to watch, I hope they all fail, like the big2 and the little eight conference.

MY RSN's do a terrible job at covering college sports in my area. Just make these another RSN for the primary areas. If you want it outside the conference areas make it so you have to subscribe to the sports pack.

There are more sports shown on tv now that I can watch and I imagine most people feel the same way.
That's true, but it's not the quantity of sports that I'm concerned with, but the ability to be able to watch my favorite teams. I would imagine that most sports fans would feel the same way. When you pick and choose specific sports channels, you are leaving fans of the other teams with no possibility of seeing their favorite teams play unless they switch providers. I'm a Big Ten alumnus and not having the Big Ten network would be a dealbreaker for me.

If the point of staying with Dish Network was just for the HD or the Big Ten Network on D*, then I'll go for the big ten network.
If I have the Big Ten Network, then I won't be watching VOOM channels, so you can toss those out the window right now, and I can get a few over-lapping HD channels with D* PLUS the Big Ten Network. PLUS Vs?NHL Hockey, and NHL Center Ice.

I agree. If all the conferences try this we will definately start see them or some regionals start to drop off.

I've only been scanning this thread so, someone may have already made a similar comment to the one I'm about to share...

Just one of the BigTen schools has anywhere upwards of 75,000 students (undergrad & grad) enrolled during a typical semester across several campus locations, with retention and graduation rates that are through the roof. It also has one of the largest, if not the largest alumni network in the country. This school "paints" its students in school colors causing near fanaticism in many cases. I work for 'em, I see it every day.

My point being that this is not a difficult math equation... There are certainly hundreds of thousands of eager fans from just one of these schools who, if also subscribing to E*, would surely be interested in the B10N.

I talked with a guy who was doing an administrative fellowship with Athletics while this project was being worked out. Yeah, it's a $$ grab for the conference but, it's a $$ grab because there's an audience for it.

I'm sure everyone else is enjoying their RSN's. Unfortunately, unless I switch to Comcrap, I'm locked out from that option in the Philadelphia area.

:D /vent off

If it (subscriber sports channels) is not that big of a deal then why are companies paying hundreds of millions of dollars to carry them? D* is paying $700M/yr for NFL:ST.

$700M ain't no chump change. I can't figure out where they think there return is on that.

I agree. If all the conferences try this we will definately start see them or some regionals start to drop off.

Not "all" conferences can pull this off. It will be limited to conferences like the Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, PAC-10, and maybe the ACC & Big East.

If all six of these start up networks, none of them will fail because there are too many of these networks. Their appeal is regional. The availability of the Big Ten Network will have no impact on the success of the SEC Network or Pac-10 Network. Thus there is no significant saturation factor or division of revenues.

The holdup on a Big 12 network is that universities like Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska are already making big money and they don't want to share any of it with Kansas, Iowa State, etc. So a B12 network may or may not appear.

Tom, just because D* overpays for sports programming to call it its own does not mean its that profitable.

Heres how I feel. Id love to have the SEC,ACC and Big10 networks in HD for college footbal and maybe some basketball for when good games arent on reg tv (which isnt often), BUT if its going to cost me more money every month because the Big10 wants $1.10 per sub, I say they can shove it.

Reason I say this is because the Big10,unlike popular belief by some posters in this thread, aint loved by all, there is not a Big10 Alum in every E* household. Same goes for the SEC/ACC.

Now if they want to add it to certain regions fine, but I really do not need all these conf networks as I will only watch one.

I just disagree with national space being used for the Big10/SEC/etc... network.

Now, if we gain unlimited capacity, fine add all you want. Until then...

A lot of big cities in Big Ten country .... Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis just to name a few. A huge potential loss from these major cities if it is not picked up. After 7 years with E* if this channel is not picked up I will possibly go to D*. I don't care for the pro packages but I will not be without college sports. I wish it could be put up as an add-on to the Multi Sports package ... but seems the network doesn't want it that way. Should be interesting.

I just disagree with national space being used for the Big10/SEC/etc... network.

If by "space" you mean a national coverage HD transponder, then you should want E* to put channels like the B10N on one of them, presuming that E* would carry the channel. Because it would eat up more transponder "space" if you try to spotbeam it across this large of a region, as it would require the use of several spotbeams. Plus, using spotbeams would leave holes with no coverage within the region.

So if a DBS company carries the B10N, it pretty much has to go on a national transponder.

The size of the population of the region merits it too. You've got to include New York in the B10N region, which brings the population of the affected region to approximately 87 million people, which is roughly 30% of the entire U.S. population. That's a pretty substantial region.

A lot of big cities in Big Ten country .... Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis just to name a few. A huge potential loss from these major cities if it is not picked up.

Add New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and even Washington DC, which is going to have a lot of B10 fans.

One might argue that NYC & Pittsburgh are within the Big East, which is true. But those cities have always had a lot of Penn State fans, as has Buffalo. DC is within the ACC region, but there are many, many transplanted midwesterners working in & around that city.

A lot of big cities in Big Ten country .... Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis just to name a few. A huge potential loss from these major cities if it is not picked up. After 7 years with E* if this channel is not picked up I will possibly go to D*. I don't care for the pro packages but I will not be without college sports. I wish it could be put up as an add-on to the Multi Sports package ... but seems the network doesn't want it that way. Should be interesting.

I agree!! I live for college football in the fall. I have had a very good experience with E* but would consider D* if I can't get the Big Ten Network.

Most of you don't seem to understand the concept of this.....

I have missed one OSU home football game in 15 years. I went to both BCS champ games in Phoenix. This is life to us. This is how we set our schedules in the fall, how we plan our weekends.....college football is king out here.

It was announced this week that OSU's first two games will be on B10N. Last year, OSU played lil Indiana, and it was on ESPNU. Time Warner is the predominant cable company here, and there was SUCH AN UPROAR about the fact that people could not watch OSU unless they had satellite. It was CRAZY. Front page story in the news, lead news story, etc.

So now the first two games are on B10N. You should hear the radio talk shows, the news, and the papers are at it again. Its the same in other cities in the Big Ten.....college football dictates life, and to not be able to watch it, its NUTZ!

Then you have the alumni. OSU has the largest alumni association in the world. Florida and Arizona are VERY well represented by OSU. Don't believe me? People who gather to watch games... Ohio State Alumni: Untitled
Take B10N away from these people too.

Thats one school. The Big Ten is 11 schools. Maybe Northwestern is not as rabid as OSU. Maybe Illinois doesn't compare to the fan base of Penn St. But you are still talking about LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of people.

E* better have it, or I am gone. I record every home game, so I can watch it when I get from the game. If I can't do that, see ya!

It was announced this week that OSU's first two games will be on B10N.

E* better have it, or I am gone. I record every home game, so I can watch it when I get from the game. If I can't do that, see ya!

And you don't know how many other games might get picked up by the B10N during the season. You could easily have another 2 games on it.

In Madison, the local PBS station had the rights to rebroadcast all of the Badgers games later that night. Been doing it for years. They just announced that they lost these rights due to the B10N.

In the case of many of the midwest states, the entire state, or much of it, are as rabid about the games as those who live in the host cities. There will be outrage all over the state of Ohio, not just in and around Columbus.

But the rest of the country does not need to pay for these regional specialty networks.

Let it be a premium channel for $5 per month, maybe even $2, and if you think it is important enough you can pay the freight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)