Big Ten Network on D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Proc said:
Sounds like the Big Ten Conference is looking into setting up a Regional Sports Network for Big Ten sports to be carried by D*.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9456802/2

http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=534582 (bottom of the article)

As for the Big Ten going to FSN reg. networks, I hope it's just a ploy to get a better deal with ESPN /ABC, at least on ESPN we have a better chance of getting a game in HD, even though ABC still lags behind other networks with HD coverage.

With that in mind, going to a FSN , would make the Big Ten viewd only on a local scene, not across the country.
Also, I have heard Nothing about FSN's going HD anytime soon, at least in Big Ten country.

Jimbo

They would not be signing with FSN, they would be starting their own channel. It is almost a done deal that they will resign with ABC/ESPN. The new channel would carry games that the networks don't want.

Tonight this was on our local news on our local WICS-20 ABC - they specifically said "D* would start taking orders for this new package next week. They also said the new channels hopes to get all the cable companies to carry it on (expanded) basic service.

From this article, it sounds like some of the games will be in HD...

The Big Ten Channel is dedicated to covering both the athletic and academic content of the Big Ten member institutions on a national level. Showcasing a wide array of sports as well as original programming produced by the conference's 11 institutions, the Big Ten Channel will operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It will be available to all carriers and distributors nationwide. The Big Ten Channel's first affiliate, DIRECTV, will deliver the Channel to its Total Choice Package subscribers at launch. Many events will be produced in High-Definition television (HDTV). In addition to traditional distribution through cable and satellite, select Big Ten Channel content will also be available through alternative media platforms such as the Internet, iPods, cell phones and/or other emerging technologies.

http://bigten.cstv.com/genrel/062106aad.html

Stan

The deal with ABC/ESPN is done. It was announced on Sportscenter last night. The new channel would carry second tier games not shown on ABC/ ESPN. I give it a couple of years and we will soon have 100 regional sports networks. I can now see the ACC, SEC, Big-12, and PAC 10 starting their own channels.

They need to pull ESPN-U/CSTV out of the sports package and move them into the Total Choice or Total Choice Plus package. Sucks that you have to pay $12 extra a month just to get those 2 channels. (well you get more than that, but usually the rest are blacked out)

Stan

dishrich said:
Tonight this was on our local news on our local WICS-20 ABC - they specifically said "D* would start taking orders for this new package next week. They also said the new channels hopes to get all the cable companies to carry it on (expanded) basic service.

Interesting, D* start taking orders next week ???

It doesn't start for another year.....

Must be awefully expensive :eek: !!!!

Jimbo

dishrich said:
If you have ever seen the news on WICS-20, this is NOT a shock to hear... :p :rolleyes:

No I have never seen WICS-20, what city is it ?
It doesn't suprise me I just found it to be interesting.

A few weeks ago there was an article about D* adding somerthing like 1,000 employees to the new distribution centerthey are opening, (don't quote me on the numbers, just giving you the jist of the story) Another news article said they were adding 10,000 employees !!!!

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)