BigTen launches 8/30 DTV-HD 9/?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

weldgooch

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
Being a BigTen Alumnus, I am very interested in the new network coming to DirecTV, especially since my Buckeyes will be aired on the network 3 times within the first month. However, if you notice, the BigTen is advertising the network to launch on August 30th. DirecTV is saying that it's new HD channels will start in mid-September. Does anybody know if DirecTV will actually be airing the BigTen network the first day it starts broadcasting? Otherwise, isn't the network like a mime in a forest hit by a tree?

Here's my take. Just intuition and been around the satellite block a long time. The mid-September release for HD channels is a guesstimate for the first major round of channels. It includes plenty of time for sat geosynchronous orbit, testing, etc. If everything goes flawlessly with D10, its possible channels could start popping up end of August or early Sept. I just think it was safer for Directv to say mid-September then anything earlier. We all know how some folks are if they miss a date by a day.

Has the "Big Ten Network" been officially listed as being HD ?

I have never seen the "Big Ten Network - HD" listed anywhere.

Jimbo

Yes: Big Ten Network

games in HD each week. Multiple games each week (but may not all be in HD, it doesn't clarify).

I would think D* will carry it in SD at launch (D* is big10s primary partner in the launch) and in HD when the new sat is available.

There will be alternate channels used on Saturday's to cover all games that are not covered by ESPN1/2 and ABC.

No games will be part of the PPV packages this year :)

Hello. So can we be confident that D* will provide "overflow" (alternate) channels for all overlapping games on Sept. 1st and subsequent Saturdays?

Hello. So can we be confident that D* will provide "overflow" (alternate) channels for all overlapping games on Sept. 1st and subsequent Saturdays?

if you are talking abc/espn games, my guess is that they will be part of the game plan package, as was the case last season!

If you put your zip code in on Big Ten Network site you get the following :
"The following are providers in your area. Those highlighted in GREEN have committed to launching the Big Ten Network as of primetime on August 30th, 2007"
And Directv is the only one that is in green.

if you are talking abc/espn games, my guess is that they will be part of the game plan package, as was the case last season!

This is not the case...with the addition of the big 10 network the big 10 games will never be a part of any of the gameplan packages. On the big 10 network page under the FAQ it says that Directv will have overflow stations which will be like chosing a game like you do on Sundays with the ticket

This is not the case...with the addition of the big 10 network the big 10 games will never be a part of any of the gameplan packages. On the big 10 network page under the FAQ it says that Directv will have overflow stations which will be like chosing a game like you do on Sundays with the ticket

i wasn't talking big ten games, i mentioned espn/abc.

...On the big 10 network page under the FAQ it says that Directv will have overflow stations which will be like chosing a game like you do on Sundays with the ticket

That is how I hope it will be, regarding the Big Ten Network games that are on at the same time (regional distribution).

Where did you see that again? I looked at the FAQ on bigtennetwork.com and it only says the overlapping games will be made available to providers that agree to carry the network. It will be up to each provider to use "overflow" (alternate) channels to show them.

I can't find confirmation that D* will do that. I think it is likely, but then again, there's going to be as many as four games on at the same time. Thanks.

I went to Big Ten Network and signed up for their newsletter. The first one they sent to me had the schedule for the first 3 Saturdays teams, times, and Signal (SD/HD).
For your convenience, I've copied the first 3 weeks below:

2007 BTN Football Schedule

Weeks 1 through 3

WEEK 1 / Saturday, Sept. 1
Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Appalachian State at Michigan (HD)
Youngstown State at Ohio State (HD)
Florida Int'l at Penn State (HD)
Northeastern at Northwestern

8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Bowling Green at Minnesota (HD)
Indiana State at Indiana (HD)

WEEK 2 / Saturday, Sept. 8
Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Akron at Ohio State (HD)
Nevada at Northwestern
Bowling Green at Michigan State (HD)
Miami (OH) at Minnesota (HD)
Eastern Illinois at Purdue

7 p.m. EDT/6 p.m. CDT
Western Illinois at Illinois (HD)

8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Syracuse at Iowa (HD)

WEEK 3 / Saturday, Sept. 15
Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
The Citadel at Wisconsin (HD)
Buffalo at Penn State (HD)
Akron at Indiana (HD)

8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Duke at Northwestern (HD)

I went to Big Ten Network and signed up for their newsletter. The first one they sent to me had the schedule for the first 3 Saturdays teams, times, and Signal (SD/HD).
For your convenience, I've copied the first 3 weeks below:

2007 BTN Football Schedule

Weeks 1 through 3

WEEK 1 / Saturday, Sept. 1
Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Appalachian State at Michigan (HD)
Youngstown State at Ohio State (HD)
Florida Int'l at Penn State (HD)
Northeastern at Northwestern

8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Bowling Green at Minnesota (HD)
Indiana State at Indiana (HD)

WEEK 2 / Saturday, Sept. 8
Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Akron at Ohio State (HD)
Nevada at Northwestern
Bowling Green at Michigan State (HD)
Miami (OH) at Minnesota (HD)
Eastern Illinois at Purdue

7 p.m. EDT/6 p.m. CDT
Western Illinois at Illinois (HD)

8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Syracuse at Iowa (HD)

WEEK 3 / Saturday, Sept. 15
Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
The Citadel at Wisconsin (HD)
Buffalo at Penn State (HD)
Akron at Indiana (HD)

8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Duke at Northwestern (HD)

So will HD games be on a channel 95/96 area? Will DTV be able to show the games in HD????

On a side note its quite funny hearing all my friends moan about no comcast as of yet...This goes real well with them putting NFL Network on a sports Tier

For those asking about multiple games on Directv, I found this at the Ohio State rivals.com site:

BuckeyeGrove.com – When there are multiple games on at the same time how will the regions be split so fans will see their home market and also be able to see the other games if they are out-of-market?

Mark Silverman - We are regionalizing our games so what we are doing is that we are going to the extra expense of producing more than one game. When you subscribe to our network as an operator you are going to get the game we are going to put on that network, and that is going to be different games so in week one in Michigan it will be the Michigan State game and in week one in Ohio it will be the Ohio State game and in Pennsylvania it will be the Penn State game. So we are going to split our feeds in that first week, but in addition to that we are offering up, and DirecTV has already indicated they are going to carry it, all of the games so that an operator can air every single game, even the ones that aren't on the network (the main channel).

BTN is going to have some issues signing up distributors for their HD programming if they only broadcast HD one or two days a week. While this sounds like just the ticket for DIRECTV's idea of an HD channel, I'm not sure it is going to sell in Peoria.

BTN is going to have some issues signing up distributors for their HD programming if they only broadcast HD one or two days a week. While this sounds like just the ticket for DIRECTV's idea of an HD channel, I'm not sure it is going to sell in Peoria.

According to Big Ten Network, "Most events and programs will be produced in High-Definition television (HDTV)". To me that sounds like more than 1 or 2 days a week. Most typically means >50% doesn't it?

From "The evening bridge"
EchoStar Petitions For Big Ten Network Ruling
TOP STORY -- EchoStar has petitioned the Federal Communications Commission for a
declaratory ruling that would classify the soon-to-be-launched Big Ten Network as a
regional sports network, a move that would further classify the network as
programming affiliated with a pay-TV competitor under terms of News Corp.'s 2003
takeover of DIRECTV. As part of the commission's approval process that year, News
Corp. agreed to allow competitors access to affiliated programming. The Big Ten
Network, a joint venture of the Big Ten Conference and Fox Cable Services, is
scheduled to launch in August but has struggled to reach carriage agreements with
EchoStar, Comcast, Time Warner and Cox due to its rates request and demands to
be carried nationwide on the basic tier. Read tomorrow's edition of SkyREPORT for
more on this issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts