Bill rant

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

CEV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I've had DirecTV for quite some time now. I've always just paid the bill and never questioned anything, so not sure why it's bothering me so much as of late, perhaps I'm just getting more frugal with where my money is going as I get older. But some of this stuff does not make sense. I would appreciate if anyone could help me understand some of this.

Last year I got a Genie from DirecTV. I have 3 other DVR's in other rooms.

On my bill, I have a line item for $18 that says "Watch DirecTV on multiple TV's. 4 TV's at $6 each with the 1st one free." Does it make sense to pay extra in order to watch tv in other rooms of your house?

Another line item states $10 for having a DVR. Is DVR service not standard these days?

Then there's another $3 for Whole-Home DVR service.

Without getting rid of my other TV's, is there a way I can lower my monthly bill? I also have the protection plan $7.99 per month. My total bill is $130.60, and I get NO premium channels. I just have the Choice XTRA Classic.

Thanks for listening.

I've had DirecTV for quite some time now. I've always just paid the bill and never questioned anything, so not sure why it's bothering me so much as of late, perhaps I'm just getting more frugal with where my money is going as I get older. But some of this stuff does not make sense. I would appreciate if anyone could help me understand some of this.

Last year I got a Genie from DirecTV. I have 3 other DVR's in other rooms.

On my bill, I have a line item for $18 that says "Watch DirecTV on multiple TV's. 4 TV's at $6 each with the 1st one free." Does it make sense to pay extra in order to watch tv in other rooms of your house?

Another line item states $10 for having a DVR. Is DVR service not standard these days?

Then there's another $3 for Whole-Home DVR service.

Without getting rid of my other TV's, is there a way I can lower my monthly bill? I also have the protection plan $7.99 per month. My total bill is $130.60, and I get NO premium channels. I just have the Choice XTRA Classic.

Thanks for listening.

Well the 6 dollars if a fee to rent the equipment... actually better terminology would be.. an access fee to utilize service on an additional tv. And yes those are all standard. As an HSP employee of directv I will tell you that even I pay 6/mo for my 3 extra tvs.

And even comcast in my area charges your per tv. I believe this is standard practice.

The 10/mo for dvr is just that the access fee for the dvr feature. And no that is not standard. In my area comcast charges 17.95/mo per dvr. Dtv charges 10/mo to cover the whole account. So for 4 dvrs from comcast you would pay almost 80/mo in receiver fees plus your monthly bill. Dtv charges you 10.

3/mo is for whole home which usually comes with the genie but a csr is able to remove this fee. Whether they are permitted to or not is another question. This fee covers the ability to watch recorded programs from one dvr on a separate dvr.

You could drop the protection plan if you are a do it yourself kinda guy... but then your going to be charged full rate for any service calls you may need completed in the future.

Aside from dropping your grandfathered package and downsizing channels all you can do is call in and request programming discounts. Your bill seems about normal for what you have.

CEV, those charges for additional outlets and for whole home viewing have been around for years, and as twizt3dkitty pointed out, a good deal less than many other providers charge.

Well the 6 dollars if a fee to rent the equipment... actually better terminology would be.. an access fee to utilize service on an additional tv. And yes those are all standard. As an HSP employee of directv I will tell you that even I pay 6/mo for my 3 extra tvs.

And even comcast in my area charges your per tv. I believe this is standard practice.

The 10/mo for dvr is just that the access fee for the dvr feature. And no that is not standard. In my area comcast charges 17.95/mo per dvr. Dtv charges 10/mo to cover the whole account. So for 4 dvrs from comcast you would pay almost 80/mo in receiver fees plus your monthly bill. Dtv charges you 10.

3/mo is for whole home which usually comes with the genie but a csr is able to remove this fee. Whether they are permitted to or not is another question. This fee covers the ability to watch recorded programs from one dvr on a separate dvr.

You could drop the protection plan if you are a do it yourself kinda guy... but then your going to be charged full rate for any service calls you may need completed in the future.

Aside from dropping your grandfathered package and downsizing channels all you can do is call in and request programming discounts. Your bill seems about normal for what you have.
Well explained !

I would call Directv and ask them what eligible programming credit they could give you
to bring your bill down a few, and possibly a discount receiver or a free upgrade

Another idea is return some of DVR's and mirror(duplicate) one or more receivers to different rooms
using the wired HDMI method or component cable, you'll need HDMI splitter and long run HDMI cables or component

Or downgrade your programming to Choice or lower, make sure you compare packages on Directv website to see if there's any of your favorite channel that could be missing before you change package

Not sure if you know this but if you sign up for autopay and paperless billing they could possibly give you a $10
HD credit for 6-12 months,

Charter charges out the rear end for boxes also. Consider yourself lucky only paying $6 per after the first free.

Thanks for the info everyone. I do already have the auto pay. Just seems kind of crazy I pay $75 for the programming package, and then another $55 in extra fees.

That's one thing I've noticed is the fee to death scenario with any provider these days. I'm a happy Direc subscriber and it's my choice to have the equipment that I have, but I really like the way Bell does it in Canada. We own all our receivers (with Direct that's not an option) and all we pay is just the monthly subscription cost and tax. That's it. There are no DVR fees, no additional equipment fees and there is no fee to connect a ehd to the 6131/6141/6400 (Dish 211K) models of HD receivers as its all plug & Play and away you go. Now if you lease the equipment then there are some fees but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one thing I've noticed is the fee to death scenario with any provider these days. I'm a happy Direc subscriber and it's my choice to have the equipment that I have, but I really like the way Bell does it in Canada. We own all our receivers (with Direct that's not an option) and all we pay is just the monthly subscription cost and tax. That's it. There are no DVR fees, no additional equipment fees and there is no fee to connect a ehd to the 6131/6141/6400 (Dish 211K) models of HD receivers as its all plug & Play and away you go. Now if you lease the equipment then there are some fees but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back in the day, you Bought your D* equipment, then eventually they went away from it, followed DISH at the time.

Bell, will do the same once they realize the revenue stream they can create.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)