Billing question for multiple HD DVR's

Byron56

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
We have 4 DISH DVR's on our account - 722, 722K, 612, and a 622 which is used in our RV (with appropriate forms filed)

We suscribe to the America's Top 200 package.

We are charged for the Top 200 package, a $6 DVR fee, and then for 3 additional receivers - 2 at $17 and 1 at $10. We are assuming that one of the 722's is included in the base package, and that we are charge $17 for the other 722 and the 612, then $10 for the 622.

So - we are looking to buy a second home and went to the DISH Builder to see what it would cost us.

When we key in any package and then say we want an HD DVR for the Living Room and the same for the Bedroom - so we are guessing they will install two seperate receivers - assuming 612's. Besides the base package price we only see a $6 DVR charge - no charges for a second receiver.

This makes us ask why are we being charged for 3 additional servers at home on an account we have had for 10+ years, but if we when we go to set up a new account for the 2nd home.

On the surface it seems like DISH is treating new customers much better that long term ones!

Any thoughts?

Don't know what you are seeing on the site, but there are no new customer exemptions for additional receiver fees. Everyone pays. BTW, you should look into the new Hopper/Joey system for the second home.

Oh, and for clarity, the $17 charges are for your additional 722 and 622. The 612 has the $10 fee.

Duo DVR = $17
Solo DVR = $10

First (most sophisticated receiver) is included in the package price

When I run the app (carefully choosing HD and DVR for both rooms), I get a Hopper/Joey system with a $7 Joey fee and a $4 Whole Home DVR Service fee.

A dual ViP612 system would be $1 cheaper but the app doesn't seem to want to go there.

As OTA is important to me, I'd probably go with the dual ViP612 system at this point.

Another possibility for the second home if you are going to be there for an extended time is to set it up as a snowbird second home. You have to take your receivers with you and just transfer service to the second home when you get there. The disadvantage is that you have to take all of them. You could deactivate receivers you don't want to take but then you have to ship them back. I do the snowbird for my Florida home where I spend 4 months or so during the colder months, Hawaii is too far to drag so we don't do it for that home.

I want the ability to record 4 shows at the same time. I think the Hopper only lets you record 2 shows at a time (excluding prime time major networks) so that is a non starter.

Guess it depends on which URL you use.

Using dishtv.com, when I configure 2 tv's, both with HD and DVR, it only has the $6 DVR fee - when I add a 3rd tv, then I see an additional $10 fee.

Can't seem to find the Dish Builder on dish.com which redirects to mydish.com.

bobandgeri said:
Guess it depends on which URL you use.

Using dishtv.com, when I configure 2 tv's, both with HD and DVR, it only has the $6 DVR fee - when I add a 3rd tv, then I see an additional $10 fee.

Can't seem to find the Dish Builder on dish.com which redirects to mydish.com.

Im sure its a programming bug.

Account level fee for dvr is 6 bucks.

Any 612 after your first reciever and you are looking at 10 bucks a pop.

Might as go for a 722k and 612 since a 722k would not be charged individually since its the first reciever. Plus 722k is a better reciever anyhow. You can add ota modual to the 722k for 2 ota feeds added to the 2 sat feeds.

Yep. we have complained about this for some time. this is why some people bounce from provider to provider every couple of years.

Just to be clear, there is not a different fee based on new or current customers. Depending on what info is entered you can get a couple of configurations on the site when there as a new customer. So answering the OP's question is a little hard not knowing exactly what was being proposed. But it isn't a different fee structure.

The only different price a new customer will get is a cheaper programming price for 12 months. The additional receiver fees stay the same for everyone.

harshness said:
Duo DVR = $17
Solo DVR = $10

First (most sophisticated receiver) is included in the package price

When I run the app (carefully choosing HD and DVR for both rooms), I get a Hopper/Joey system with a $7 Joey fee and a $4 Whole Home DVR Service fee.

A dual ViP612 system would be $1 cheaper but the app doesn't seem to want to go there.

As OTA is important to me, I'd probably go with the dual ViP612 system at this point.

So, you would be better off getting a 722 and 612 cause the highest fee receiver is included with programming, so the 722 is free, $10 fee for 612. 722 has bigger harddrive and supports sling adaptor for possible future use.

Laddyboy said:
Another possibility for the second home if you are going to be there for an extended time is to set it up as a snowbird second home. You have to take your receivers with you and just transfer service to the second home when you get there. The disadvantage is that you have to take all of them. You could deactivate receivers you don't want to take but then you have to ship them back. I do the snowbird for my Florida home where I spend 4 months or so during the colder months, Hawaii is too far to drag so we don't do it for that home.

You do not have to move all receivers. If you call and change address to 2nd home, then receivers left at home 1 should still get all programming except local channels.

I think a better alternative, if you don't mind missing your locals, just call in and setup a dishmover to the 2nd house. Dish will usually give you 1 free per year. Have your system installed as you like in the new house. Then you can call in and change physical address to whichever house you prefer locals at, make sure they change the local tag on your account to that area.

Now you are setup and ready to just move the receivers when you want.

bobandgeri said:
I want the ability to record 4 shows at the same time. I think the Hopper only lets you record 2 shows at a time (excluding prime time major networks) so that is a non starter.

Hopper has 3 tuners and all 3 can record, primetime anytime when enabled will use 1 tuner between 7-10 CST to record ABC, CBS, NBC, and fox.

Most customers are able to get a second hopper at a $100 upgrade charge, giving you 6 tuners, and they are about to roll out a minor integration so you can watch recordings off either hopper on any TV. Second hopper carries a $7 fee just like a Joey.

However still no OTA support on hopper yet

You do not have to move all receivers. If you call and change address to 2nd home, then receivers left at home 1 should still get all programming except local channels.

While receivers left at Home 1 obviously would still get programming, under the agreement you cannot have receivers in more than one location. Although people do this, they run the risk of an audit call when they are apart from one or more of their receivers. The snowbird/vacation home account requires all activated receivers to be moved to the second home unless they've recently relaxed the rules. As you stated a Dishmover can be used for the snowbird installation and setup. Dish set mine up with a free Dishmover several years ago.

I think a better alternative, if you don't mind missing your locals, just call in and setup a dishmover to the 2nd house. Dish will usually give you 1 free per year. Have your system installed as you like in the new house. Then you can call in and change physical address to whichever house you prefer locals at, make sure they change the local tag on your account to that area.

Now you are setup and ready to just move the receivers when you want.

Yes you do have to take them with you, and what you propose is illegal. That is specifically what Dish does not allow, your one account spread over more than one residence. That's account stacking.

a 622 which is used in our RV (with appropriate forms filed)

A downside to going with a H/J system that I didn't see anyone mention - they will NOT let you mix other models of receivers (such as your 622, or any other kind of non-H/J receivers) on the SAME account as a H/J system. I would think that right there would probably rule out a H/J for you... ;)

Thanks for the responses! Looks like the DISH Builder that I was using at dishtv.com has a flaw. I used chat to talk to sales and after a painful 30 minutes finally received a price quote that is in line what everybody else was saying.

The second home is a weekend home only 2 hours away - while we know we could take a receiveer with us each weekend, we want to be legal in DISH's eyes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts