Bionic/iP4/Thunderbolt comparison

Jag72- Guess we have to consider these LTE radios are like wifi left on for now when it comes to battery drain. Or the other option is to buy the bigger battery. I wonder what the big deal will be if you have to activate the LTE when you wish to surf the web and then shut it off when all you need is the phone to be on while you carry it around for the day. All my prior phones drained the battery when the wifi was left on too. Looking forward to testing again with the 1600mAh Seidio battery. The one from Verizon that has the thicker case is 2750mAh. What makes me happy is having the option to deal with this issue because I really want the speed. Now that I played with it for a day and a half, I never ever want a phone that is limited by 3G again. I don't know why they didn't name this phone Greased Lightning because it sure does work like one.

Don, I don't think that you can compare your poor battery life to just having the lte radio on. I leave my wifi on all day with my phone and I never drop below 50% with moderate usage. Yours has to be one of the worst ones I have seen to date.

I'm not comparing my phone with yours. I'm comparing my phone with itself under different operating conditions that I plan to be using. Worst case power drain vs. typical day of use using known power conserving methods. It tells me how much power I will need to do the maximum tasks capable. Presently I don't know of a phone that can beat this one on the race track.

I know that you are not comparing the two phones but I was as battery life is a big feature for me.

I also agree that your phone has some smoking speeds. You are receiving faster speeds on a phone than any cable provider offers in my area.

Jag- I did have my doubts about the LTE speed not more than a week ago as, like many things there are so many experts out there claiming it is no faster than HSPA+. Even Verizon sales people are still learning what this LTE can do. MY whole deal is to have a speed that is not to be an issue with my work flow while in the field. Obviously at home I can use my cable modem on wifi which has a minimum of 30Mbs down 5Mbs up now. This is good enough for my slingbox to stream HD while other family members are surfing the net. Like I said because my phone permits a battery swap, I don't have an issue with needing to do that to have the speed I desire.

I do need to apologize, however, because this thread is one for comparing the listed phones. I've carefully considered the iphone but there are too many negatives for me personally and so few positives even if they did get LTE some day. I haven't looked at the Bionic at all but I will check it out for academic reasons. :)

What I don't get is why do sites continue to pit Apples against Oranges on phones? The Wirefly comparison for speedtest on the VZW iPhone 4 & HTC Thunderbolt I saw had a download speed for LTE that is slower than my iPhone 4 on AT&T. I usually get 6-6.5 DL and 1.5+2 Up according to Speedtest App. Putting LTE against a CDMA 3G is a Joke.

As for the actual phones, I do like HTC but battery life concerns me. After a horrible run with T-Mobile I jump ship to AT&T. Sold my G2 and considered Atrix, Inspire and iPhone 4. I like to root and rom my phones. In the end Battery life was a factor. The Inspire has bad design to replace the battery because only the side door came open and not the whole back. With the iPhone 4 I grabbed a Juice Pack. So far only one day have I had to use it. HTC really needs to improve battery life.

There are way too many variables for one to compare one phone with another on battery life. If I pound the net and play games and listen to music for 5 hours, that means the screen is on for that period of time which is probably the biggest drain on the battery. How does that compare to a slow internet connection phone (3G) that is on standby and is able to last a day with an hour of talk time and polling the e-mail every 15 min.? There is no comparison.

Today I turned on the thunderbolt with only the wifi radio on and my screen in standby mode for 4 hours. Took a 30 min of phone calls. between listening to streaming radio for 4hrs. Then an hour of web surfing. Then loaded up sling player and streamed some news channels for 3 hours with screen at 50% brightness. At 5PM my battery was at 15% so I recharged. Total use time was 8 hours

So, if I use the device to watch video and have the screen up running and the LTE radio on or wifi radio on it is going to use lots more battery than if I keep the phone in standby and take a few phone calls, check and read some e-mail.

The worst battery life I have ever seen here is on a Palm Treo. So far the best is on my wife's LG EV3. She puts her phone on charge once every 10 days or so. Her Blackberry needs charging each day.

Another personal use I want to test is using the TBolt in Airplane mode but screen up watching recorded movies and as I would do for a 5 hour flight cross country. My older phones used to consume two batteries or about 3000mAh.

I notice that this comparison is like any other "Us vs Them" comparison: the categories to compare are things that are unique to one platform. Example: Swype keyboard. What a surprise that the stock iPhone does not have it. Big red X for that shortcoming. But where's the green checkmark for AirPlay? What? That's unfair because only the iPhone has AirPlay support, so it wasn't included.

Now, not having DLNA is valid because that is an industry standard. Apple could support it if they thought it was worthwhile, but Apple wants people to invest in AirPlay, so no surprise that they don't have it.

Rocky, when I was reading the specs on the new Motorola Bionic, I thought "uh-oh, someone's getting a new Droid!" ;)

Looks like there are rumors that the Bionic will be released on April 21st.

I got an email the other day that the Bionic will be released in Sept some time.

Expected to be released 9/8, and is reportedly one of the reasons VZW opted not carry a version of the Galaxy S II.

Latest I read said that it may come with the webtop adapter, so you can hook your phone to any monitor to access the OS, and it will be compatible with things like the webtop doc. Moto has also said they're going to make the webtop accessories much more affordable... will believe that when I see it.

After being disappointed with the GSII no longer coming to VZW, probably holding out for a dual core phone with a 720p screen like the Vigor or Prime if their specs are correct. Not sure what to think of a 4.65" screen on the Prime, will have to hold that monster before buying.

They missed a launch date by ~5 months ? That's an eternity in cell-phone technology ! I hope the Bionic discussed in April is NOT the same phone they might release in September.

I think I read they made some small changes, but if I remember right not enough to warrant buying it when something way better is coming in about 2 months.

It was kinda overshadowed IMO by the Xoom at CES. I had no problems playing with a handset, it was the Xoom displays with little more than a video playing getting all the attention.

While there was never anything official, I thought this originally didn't work out because of some incompatibilities with the chipset and the LTE technology being used. There are more than small changes, as the original wasn't going to support the webtop stuff that the Atrix introduced. It's said that the Bionic may ship with the adapter that will allow you to hook the phone to a monitor to access the webtop OS.

It was kinda overshadowed IMO by the Xoom at CES. I had no problems playing with a handset, it was the Xoom displays with little more than a video playing getting all the attention.

While there was never anything official, I thought this originally didn't work out because of some incompatibilities with the chipset and the LTE technology being used. There are more than small changes, as the original wasn't going to support the webtop stuff that the Atrix introduced. It's said that the Bionic may ship with the adapter that will allow you to hook the phone to a monitor to access the webtop OS.

It was supposed to be able to be used as a laptop with the doc from the beginning right?

It was supposed to be able to be used as a laptop with the doc from the beginning right?

No, it was going to come out roughly the same time as the Atrix, but not have the same capabilities as it only had half the RAM (512mb).

I guess Tegra didn't play well with LTE, the new revision of the Bionic has a TI OMAP 4430 processor, the same one used in the Droid 3/Milestone and Blackberry Playbook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)