Birdog Help

Kipabiskau

Original poster
Sep 28, 2022
Saskatchewan Canada
Hello everyone. I am a new member and am looking for some support. I Own a Birdog USB Sat finder that is no longer supported by perfect 10. They have supplied me with the software used to create unique transponder definitions so as I can possible still use the finder. The Software is Birdog SatEdit V1.23 along with the user manual. I have little to no knowledge about satellite transponders.
Where I live, we use two main service providers Shaw Direct from Anik F1 107 W and AnikF2 111.1W . As well Bell Tv from Nimq 4 and Nimq 6.
From research I need to find the unique satellite definitions for Anik F2 and Nimq 6 in order to build the transponders definitions in the software so as to load them into my Birdog USB finder.
By the software instructions I will need the following parameters to build the transponder definitions.

Frequency
Polarization
Symbol Rate
Code Rate (FEC)I
IQ Swap
FEC Mode

The Software manual has given a lot of information about these perimeters but I don't understand IQ Swap and FEC Mode.
The manual also makes a highlighted note as follows.
"The Birdog will acquire a lock on DVB_S QPSK and DSS modulated carriers. The following modulations are not supported DVB-S2, DVB-SD , DVB-S2 ACM, VCM and CCM and DigiCipher II .

I don't understand any of this information except to say I think that different carriers may operate off the same satellite and may have different modulations as noted above but don't know for sure.
Can anyone help me with the parameters as noted above so in hopes that I can build the transponder definitions that will LOCK on my meter when I am sighting the dish.
Just for information Perfect 10 did supply in the past a list files to download. The Anik F2 profile from Perfect 10 used to lock on my meter but no longer does. I do get a raw signal indication on the meter but there is no LOCK indication
I live in a fairly remote location in central Saskatchewan and when the dish goes off signal its great to have the Birdog finder working.
Thank you so much in advance for any help someone may be able to supply
Kipabiskau

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
Well this is going to be a long one but I will try and shorten it. I have two Birdogs both USB version 4s. The support site is still down but managed to update them to the factory configuration. First I tried to use them on my Hopper dish with zero luck. Even the Dish tech had no luck with them.

Fast forward I have acquired a HughesNet HT2000W with its larger commercial Dish and not the small residential one. My last experience with HughesNet was the DW7000 (I think) I had it mounted in the back of my truck (even longer story working civil servant for the Marines) I would park facing North and use the PC-OPI on a laptop to simply swing the dish into position. Same with Dish Network and I never had a problem doing this very easily in a couple of minutes. So I thought piece of cake, right? WRONG VERY WRONG! I fully understand especially with HughesNet that a misaligned dish doesn't just effect you but EVERYONE on that spotbeam! So they have removed the PC-OPI download link. Removed the online signal meter AND both my F@*cking meters refuse to lock onto SatMex 8 (SatMex 5's replacement) Being here in San Deigo its literally 180 due south very high in the sky with almost zero skew. The Birdogs both show little change in signal strength and never lock. If I swing due East the meter never gets lower than 160ish but will hit 195+ when I think I am close. Birdog has two sat options for SatMex 8 "KH" and "KV" Neither seem to work. I really need a DAPT2 I never needed one before but due now I guess. I found a red and orange version. Looks like the only difference is the audio beeper??? I read somewhere about the need for a 22KHZ filter being used. Is that my problem??? What the hell am I doing wrong???

I also have a Birdog meter and find it useless. Please note the channels on SatMex are in DVB-S2 format.
"The Birdog will acquire a lock on DVB_S QPSK and DSS modulated carriers. The following modulations are not supported DVB-S2, DVB-SD , DVB-S2 ACM, VCM and CCM and DigiCipher II .

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
I also have a Birdog meter and find it useless. Please note the channels on SatMex are in DVB-S2 format.
This new "Gen 5" or "Next Gen" whatever they call it really threw me off my game and I am extremely embarrassed! Both Birdogs completely worthless. I did find the hidden install link on the control page (THANKS A F@*CKING LOT HUESNET) which started explaining a lot of my problems. It was not commissioned on SatMex at all instead it was on EchoStar 19 or 97.2 West. I was told by the installer and Hughes it was. That explained the 27-degree skew and low elevation. Next even the 60 miles away from where it was commissioned made a big difference in the signal. I tried using the old coordinates at first but got no signal. Somehow the dam thing knew! I finally got past all of that and got to the point/signal page. With a tree in the way I got a 107 locked it down it recommissioned and passed. I will call in the AM to get put on Satmex and go through the process again but much easier now that I know it. Sill hit 27 down and 4.5 up!