Birdog trouble

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvn8r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I'm having trouble aiming my dish with my Birdog meter. I can get a signal reading but it doesn't recognize the satellite. For that matter I could just use an analog meter to do that. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have the latest download? Is the satellite you are pointing at listed on the Birdog.

Make sure you have the correct LNB type selected (Universal/Standard......) and the correct polarity.

These positive satellite meters are only as good as the info downloaded onto them, I have been waiting around 5 weeks so far to have one satellite on my Sathawk positive ID satellite meter added!

You are right they are USELESS without support!

I am now on the market for a Satellite meter where I can add the transponder data myself and not have to depend on others to get their act together!

You can bet I will be posting ALL about my new Positive satellite ID meter here at SatelliteGuys.US when I get it :)

What bird are you trying to get? What king of set up do you have? Make sure you have the proper satellite profile that has the correct polarity and LNB type loaded in the meter. I assume that you are getting video despite the meter showing a signal strength with no lock? I know my Birdog will give me a signal reading if I point it at my garage.

I've found with the Birdogs that you sometimes just have to reload the info. into them to get them to read right........also if the battery is a little weak they sometimes have trouble with the ID............just my experience with them. Other than that I've had very little trouble........and at the very least, if it's showing signal and you can see a picture on the screen at least you can peak it from there.

The battery is low, but I have installed a thousand E* dishs with it.
Basicly I picked AMC4, I'll try others later, I used an old D* lnb to aim it the dish changed it over to a Inva..... (can't remember the exact name). I also tried SBS6 but the meter still doesn't show the satallite. are these FTA Sats to low of a power to pick up? I've had trouble with E* 129 sat in the past generally due to low power.

I would try another satellite, if a transponder has moved/changed since your last download then it won't recognise the satellite.

Which Invacom are you using? The QPx-xxx series are the only Invacoms with Standard LNB LO Frequency of 10.750GHz. All other Invacoms are Universal LO 9.750/10.600GHz.

Your BirDog data set may be only for Standard LO.

Pete ... what bird do you need programmed?

The linear outputs of the QPH-031 are standard so make sure you have the right LNB/L.O. set (10750)

Brian, I am trying to get IA-8 @ 89ºw programmed into my Sathawk. (The ABC News NOW TP. is 24/7 so I do not know what the problem is, 6 FRIGGIN weeks!)

Truth be told the MINUTE I get a chance to get another positive satellite meter where I can enter data myself I will be switching. Too bad I like to support UK products but the last few IA-8 installs I have had to use a small TV

Not very professional looking, specially after paying hundreds of $ for this meter. Its USELESS with out support.

THANKS!

I had just put that data on the meter for SBS6, so I guess it's logical to say that the data I'm downloading is outdated.

So what would be a good bird to shoot that the Dog can catch????

And, why doesn't the Birdog pick up anything from this Invacom lnb?

Last edited:
PSB said:
Brian, I am trying to get IA-8 @ 89ºw programmed into my Sathawk. (The ABC News NOW TP. is 24/7 so I do not know what the problem is, 6 FRIGGIN weeks!)

<<<<SNIP>>>

Not very professional looking, specially after paying hundreds of $ for this meter. Its USELESS with out support.

THANKS!

I have a Lacuna Universal and Standard file that will be uploaded to Satmeter.com website in the next few days that has the IA8 TPs. PM with your email and I will shoot them right over for your testing.

Would you still be interested in Lacuna products if the programming software was publicly available for creating your own data sets? We have been having this discussion with Lacuna for sometime now and in fact had a conversation with them this morning regarding the availability of the software. Weigh in on the subject. (maybe split off of this thread ???? I don't want to hi-jack .....

I am certainly interested in being "Master of my own domain" :)

I want to make sure I never have to use a small TV on an install again "Not that there is anthing wrong with that" :)

e-mail is in my signature below.

No, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with that...........I had to use a small TV just yesterday for a Star Choice dish 'cause apparently it's satellite does not put out a standard beacon. That's the way it was explained to me by Birdog tech support.

Is this a common problem with these fancier meters?

I have a super buddy meter at the shop, I wonder if it would be worth it to try that one.

Other satellite meters will help you get on the Clarke belt, but you mayl be pulled to any strnger DBS satellite close by, nothing beats a positive ID meter (If programmed) or using a LIVE transponder and the signal quality meter!

PSB said:
I am certainly interested in being "Master of my own domain" :)

I want to make sure I never have to use a small TV on an install again "Not that there is anthing wrong with that" :)

e-mail is in my signature below.
Anybody that can inject quotes from two separate episodes of Seinfeld into a thread about satellite meters is a-ok in my book!

GaryPen said:
Anybody that can inject quotes from two separate episodes of Seinfeld into a thread about satellite meters is a-ok in my book!

Well spotted :) A post about nothing :)

If you can use a positive ID meter, DO IT! All in all it makes things MUCH easier, especially if you're doing a large volume of dishes.

PSB said:
Well spotted :) A post about nothing :)
At least 3 times I day, I find instances in real life that relate directly to that show. Although, I would never have envisioned satellite meters being one of them.

Seriously, I use that show to gauge whether or not to be friends with someone, or even to associate with them. If someone doesn't get it, well then, they just ain't gonna get a lot of things in life.

So are you saying that by guageing this thread, we are worthy of being called your friend? or is this just so much useless plattle, to liven it up you must dig to the depths of Jerry Signfelds enigmatic bag of tricks to entertain yourself?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)