Birdog wont charge

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mroodey

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Is there any place to buy a birdog powersupply? I had mine plugged in to long and I think it fried it. It makes a whining noise when it is plugged in. I took the unit apart and it shows the model number as GPE151-12100w. It is basically an ac to dc 12v 1000mA converter. Can these be purchased somewhere?

have seen them on E-bay.....but if there's a batteries plus in your town they can make you one usually for cheaper - and quicker.

queer plug on Birddog?

Is there any place to buy a birdog powersupply?
It makes a whining noise when it is plugged in.
It is basically an ac to dc 12v 1000mA converter.
While I heartily endorse getting a new charger, there are options...

My router blew up its external 5 volt power supply after many years of service.
So, I cut off the cord (unique plug to the router) and wired it to a supply that had screw terminals.
Well, apparently 24/4 duty was beyond the capability of the old supply, and after some months, it died, too.
Then, I wired a computer hard drive connector to the free end of the power cord, and plugged it into one computer I leave on all the time.
That ran fine for a few months, until I bought a proper Linksys, installed Tomato RAF, and threw out the old disgusting router! - :cool:

The point being, you may find a similar supply and just graft the old cable to it, if an odd connector is used.

there should be a plug located on the bottom of your birdog that an old radio vcr, receiver, or other such device's plug will plug into (it looks like a sideways 8).
the birdog has a built in charger, it is just slower than the charger that you had.
if you are wanting a new fast charger,
it is just a standard adapter, however,
IT MUST,
-be 12v
-be capable of pushing about an amp (1000 mA) a little more amperage would be even better
-the plug must fit with the center being positive and the sleeve being negative
you can even get plugs for it that will plug into the cigarette lighter in your truck.
hope this helps,
Denny

You guys are missing the point, I Have the same problem, dead internal switching power supply. I know I can plug a wall-wart into the side jack, and I know I can butcher something to make it work. But I believe the question was: Does anyone know of a source for a replacement internal switching power supply, So that the old Dog can be returned to factory original specs? (By the way, Perfect Vision is not perfect at all...on the contrary, they seem rather ignorant)!!!

You guys are missing the point, I Have the same problem, dead internal switching power supply. I know I can plug a wall-wart into the side jack, and I know I can butcher something to make it work. But I believe the question was: Does anyone know of a source for a replacement internal switching power supply, So that the old Dog can be returned to factory original specs? (By the way, Perfect Vision is not perfect at all...on the contrary, they seem rather ignorant)!!!

your best bet is to send it in for repair .... or find an old for parts bd & purchase it hoping the ps is good

My advice is to use a search engine.You have taken your meter apart and you have seen the part number and the manufacturer of the Power supply.

You might be surprised like I was when the old lcd screen went faulty on a v2.5 meter.
I found the manufacturer and the Part number and crossed referenced it with there online pdf file that gave dimensions etc.
Perfect Vision are very likely going to charge you more for repair now as it will be visible that your meter as been opened.

caketin

your best bet is to send it in for repair .... or find an old for parts bd & purchase it hoping the ps is good

Ok, sending it in for repair is probably not the best, but is the most expensive choice... Thanks for the quick reply though!
For the benefit of the person that started this thread, I think that you might take the charger out, measure the outside dimensions of it, get a NEWARK Catalogue and see if maybe you can find one close to the same size. It is 12 Volt DC at 1000 ma but anything from 750 to 1500 ma should work fine.
I am going to try that in a few days. For now it charges just fine with a wall wart that cost me two bucks at a flea market. I really don't want to spend more than twenty bucks on something as silly as a switching P.S. , but I do want to get rid of the meter soon and would like to have it working to specs. before I try to sell it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts