Birdview DLNBA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I just reviewed again the post by stogie 5150 illustrating the Birdview brochure he had. Since I was fortunate to get the Birdview DLNBA with the dish, now that I know what it can do, I'm thinking of not boring out the scalar plate and using it.

It has two outputs, one horizontal polarity and one vertical - all done electronically without any need for a separate circuit to a polarotor. That sounds pretty good to me!

I figure I'll hook up both H and V to a splitter/combiner or maybe a diseqc switch.

I've been painting the dish. That has revealed a few flaws I have not yet peened out of it.

I am definitely getting close to bringing the dish up to the roof for install.

Thanks again stogie. The brochure was helpful. It might have saved me a job drilling or boring out the scalar ring.

And, by the way all, I am only now realizing how lucky I was to fall into this dish. I mean, with a guy travelling a thousand miles to get one, but me finding one for the taking a block away!

I just reviewed again the post by stogie 5150 illustrating the Birdview brochure he had. Since I was fortunate to get the Birdview DLNBA with the dish, now that I know what it can do, I'm thinking of not boring out the scalar plate and using it.

It has two outputs, one horizontal polarity and one vertical - all done electronically without any need for a separate circuit to a polarotor. That sounds pretty good to me!

I figure I'll hook up both H and V to a splitter/combiner or maybe a diseqc switch.

I've been painting the dish. That has revealed a few flaws I have not yet peened out of it.

I am definitely getting close to bringing the dish up to the roof for install.

Thanks again stogie. The brochure was helpful. It might have saved me a job drilling or boring out the scalar ring.

And, by the way all, I am only now realizing how lucky I was to fall into this dish. I mean, with a guy travelling a thousand miles to get one, but me finding one for the taking a block away!

No problem. If for some reason you need a closer look at the scans or want me to scan it again, LMK. :D

By Sunday

It looks like this new (to me) Birdview dish will be up by Sunday the third. The HH motor seems to be working and I have at least an idea of how to aim it.

Now we'll also see if the LNB that I got with it will work as well as the BSC 621-2 I had on my old big dish.

If I'm a little bit lucky, I should be getting watchable signal by Sunday night.My C-band programs have only been gone for a week, but I'm eager to get-em back.

Arrow on Scalar Plate?

So far I'm getting some stations with the Birdview DLNBA, but definitely not as many as with the BSC 621-2.

There is an arrow on the scalar ring that looks to be a marker for lining up the lnb. But the DLNBA doesn't have an arrow on it for lining up with the scalar arrow. Can someone give me a hint?

By the way, either port on the DLNBA seems to output the same stations on blind scan. I have a diseqc switch on it and it doesn't seem to matter which I select. Both H an V polarities come in, but by no means as many stations as I had before.

As usual, it will take time before I sort it out.

So far I'm getting some stations with the Birdview DLNBA, but definitely not as many as with the BSC 621-2.

There is an arrow on the scalar ring that looks to be a marker for lining up the lnb. But the DLNBA doesn't have an arrow on it for lining up with the scalar arrow. Can someone give me a hint?

By the way, either port on the DLNBA seems to output the same stations on blind scan. I have a diseqc switch on it and it doesn't seem to matter which I select. Both H an V polarities come in, but by no means as many stations as I had before.

As usual, it will take time before I sort it out.
Put the center of the bottom of the LNA towards the arrow. You are only getting one polarity.

But how can you tell what the bottom is?

When I blind scan H and V seem to both come in. Am I mistaken?

But how can you tell what the bottom is?

When I blind scan H and V seem to both come in. Am I mistaken?

If you are getting duplicate channels on both polarities, the polarities are not separated.

I looked on the two I have here, and if you look on the part that fastens to the scalar ring, there is a little dimple. It looks like someone used a punch and put a dimple there with a hammer and punch.

That is what should be where the arrow points.

Sorry! But I think that will get you both polarities.

Right. I am getting duplicate channels on both H and V. But I've looked at the flange part that attaches to the scalar ring and I can't find any dimple or arrow.

linuxman, your posts have been very helpful for me in this project. Could I impose on you to either post a photo where the dimple is supposed to be, or have you just describe it carefully?

Also, I'm hoping the owners before me didn't remove and then reinstall the scalar in the wrong position.

Many thanks.

Right. I am getting duplicate channels on both H and V. But I've looked at the flange part that attaches to the scalar ring and I can't find any dimple or arrow.

linuxman, your posts have been very helpful for me in this project. Could I impose on you to either post a photo where the dimple is supposed to be, or have you just describe it carefully?

Also, I'm hoping the owners before me didn't remove and then reinstall the scalar in the wrong position.

Many thanks.

Ok, looking at the LNB from the smooth side, it is right at the edge of the flange straight across from the corner.

See Pic:

birdview-lnb.jpg

Ok. Now I'm really cconfused. The past owner had the LNB hooked up and had bolts with washers holding it down. The washers left marks. On the assumption that it was mounted right, I re-bolted it in in the same place.

The scalar arrow was pointed right on that little corner of the LNB that you kindly showed in your photo.

It is exactly there that I got duplicate stations on H and V.

So what's left? Maybe the scalar is on wrong. I guess I can try turning the LNB exactly 1/4 turn until I don't get the duplicate stations. As many as three sequences of that I guess.

But many thanks, I've imposed on you enough. You've been generous with your info.

So what's left? I guess I can try turning the LNB exactly 1/4 turn until I don't get the duplicate stations. As many as three sequences of that I guess.
You can give that a shot.

I would also consider using a 3x4 multiswitch instead of the diseqc. That old LNBF might not be sending the correct signal to the correct place.

At least with a 3x4 multiswitch, you can rest assured that when the receiver sends out 13V, it goes to the right coax. Same with 18V. Just make sure you hook the V side on the multi-switch to the correct input on the LNB. Same for the H side.

One of those two solutions should work for you. :)

another thought . . .

Well, also, since we don't know much about this old equipment, maybe it draws too much current for your diseqc switch.
At first, I was thinking maybe the switch didn't reject the un-selected input, and that could be due to both outputs of the LNB being very active . . .
Maybe you've fried the switch.
I would absolutely get the diseqc out of the equation for now.

And Linuxman's thought about the 2x4 switch (and I'd get a powered one) would make a LOT more sense for a permanent solution.

Besides, what you have to do now, is to treat the one LNB as two birds.... and that's a good opportunity to run afoul of the receiver settings.

I stopped in on my local guy. We got on the website and reviewed the Birdview brochure posted by stogie.

My guy says the DLNA (not DLNBA) is an ancient thing that really won't work.

Anyway, I got home and put the BSC 621-2 unit on. I got all my stations back and I even got a bunch of new stations on 58 west (Panamsat in my menu, but Intelsat on Lyngsat)

One station I got with the Birdview DLNA that I don't get with the BSC is the Spotrtsman Channel on 121 west. What can I say? With a name like mine you had to figure I'd like the bowhunting.

It's not surprising the old DLNA isn't very sensitive.

As to the BSC621, did you have to bore out the existing Birdview scalar plate?
I've measured my SatelliteAV CK-1, and Sadoun Eagle Aspen B1sat Stacked LNBfs, and they differ by a few milimeters.
I thought I'd posted the dimensions before, here somewhere.
It's quite possible one of the three would fit without any metal work.

Actually what I did was cut most of the tube off of the BSC. Then I had an aluminum tube that was too big to fit in there on the lip I left, so I cut that aluminum tube lengthwise and, when I compressed it together, ift fit in there.

Then I wrapped it up in aluminum tape.

I used a couple of little angle brackets, bolted them into two of the threaded holes in the scalar, and I had some little screws and nuts that i used to tighten the LNB in.

So the tube on the front of the LNB is maybe 1/8 inch or so smaller, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks for all of everyone's help. You know, I never did an electronic project before. Doing the magnet wheel thing was an eye opener.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)