Birdview Solid Flying South

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Phlatwound and his Buddy showed up here this morning about 9:00 AM all the way from Springfield MO to pick up his new purchase.

He asked me to post the pictures and let everyone know he is now the proud owner of an 8.5 foot Birdview Solid. :)

I'll just post the pics, and let him tell the story. Course he won't be home for a few hours yet. :cool:

phlatwound-bv1.jpg phlatwound-bv2.jpg phlatwound-bv3.jpg phlatwound-bv4.jpg

Congratulations !

Congrats to all involved.

I especially like seeing the way you crate up those dishes.
And, who knew it'd fit on the back of a small truck like that?
I guess there was room below for the mount and all the hardware?

Any estimate on the crated weight of that solid, and total weight of the mount?

Will be looking forward to some delivery pictures later today.

And in the coming weeks, some installation pix, too!
woo hoo !

Congrats to all involved.

I especially like seeing the way you crate up those dishes.
And, who knew it'd fit on the back of a small truck like that?
I guess there was room below for the mount and all the hardware?

Any estimate on the crated weight of that solid, and total weight of the mount?
I let him have the original crate I built for the Nashville trip.

As to the weight, I would guess less than 100 Lbs for the dish and crate. The mount probably weighs around 100 Lbs by itself.

The mount, mast and support arms are in the bottom. The scaler, plastic motor cover, and feed cover are in the cab.

Will be looking forward to some delivery pictures later today.

And in the coming weeks, some installation pix, too!
woo hoo !

I am sure he will post something when he arrives. :)

That's a great looking apparatus you've made to haul it! It should be just enough below the cab of the truck to prevent liftoff.
I'm sure once he gets home he'll have tales of the strange looks he got for even having one of those "big old dishes".
My son who's visiting for a few days who's 8 (long story) looked at the 10' Orbitron that I'm getting ready to put up and asked "what's that?". So of course I explained and he said "THAT'S a satellite dish???" Kinda like most kids ask what records or even cassette tapes are. He can't fathom that where I grew up there was only one channel to be had OTA, we were too far away from any cable provider and satellite dishes were very new and very expensive. I guess maybe that "scarred" me and now I have as many dishes as I can get my hands on!

Nice setup for travel

I couldn't have built that crate if he'd Given me the dish free lol. My carpentry looks like Alf and Ralph's from Green Acres. That's a nice treasure, hope he has good luck with his trip, and the install. Always liked those birdviews.

I couldn't have built that crate if he'd Given me the dish free lol. My carpentry looks like Alf and Ralph's from Green Acres. That's a nice treasure, hope he has good luck with his trip, and the install. Always liked those birdviews.

If you can use a saw, square, and a pencil you can do it. Swampman and me put my crate together in about two hours, with help from my wife...its just simple straight cuts and screw construction. easy to take apart too when you get to where you are going. I took it off my trailer in 15 minutes when I got home.

The Bird has landed!

Back home in the SW MO Ozarks after quite a road trip, would have made it about 3 hours quicker but we went and visited some friends in Mexico (Missouri, that is ;) ).

Big thanks to linuxman for the dish and the crate, we did a slight modification or 2 before we headed out and it couldn't have worked better. The only times it even shivered was when we were passing through the sound barrier in either direction. :D

Fred and his family are a nice bunch of folks, his wife was EXTREMELY impressed with being able to see her porch again, if I had known how much she wanted that before I made the deal I have a feeling there may have been some bargaining room. ;)

His setup and parts collection has to be seen to be believed, just wow! :eek: The BLSA setup is fascinating, I had never seen one in action before and one of these years, if I ever run out of projects or challenges, that might find it's way onto my want list.

Hoping to have the dish up and running by next spring, some trees will have to go to put it where I want to, and I'm not doing any lumberjacking till the leaves are gone. Here's a couple of pics of the Birdie at the new nest:

Attachments

• Sat Birdview Home Champ.JPG
    Sat Birdview Home Champ.JPG
    470.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Sat Birdview Home back.JPG
    Sat Birdview Home back.JPG
    502.6 KB · Views: 148
Linuxman, I noticed in your classified post for the Birdview, that you're having health problems. I certainly hope that it won't be a long term condition & that you will have a quick recovery and will regain your energy. I always enjoy reading your posts about your dish hunting experiences and of your ongoing projects. You've covered a lot of ground on this forum in a little more than 2 years and I'm grateful for the information that I've picked up from your threads. My prayers are with you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts