GEOSATpro BISS Encryption

Really cool! :)

Saw the thread as I was adding [GEOSATpro] and the rest to the old threads and said... hmmm I wonder what ever happened to this. :D

Cardless Encryption/Decryption system. Primarily used in North America for point to point or limited distribution events. The broadcaster provides the key to the downlinks and it is entered into the menu screen with the alphanumeric keys.

We have included BISS key entry on the GEOSATpro DSR100/200 and DVR1100 receivers. An example of our customers usages: PPV sports network for football league (soccer) games distributed to sports bars / Major computer company installing downlinks in remote centers to participate in confidential conferences.

http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3292.pdf

Last edited:
oh ok I didn't know they used biss over here in the states I thought it was only used over seas. so is that going to be a firmware upgrade to the micro hd in the near future?

dan rose

I do my best to support the uplink/downlink engineers as they are usually in a position to greatly influence decision makers!

Elsewhere it is used for theft of service and you often see the BISS keys shared in forums and private lists. North America use is primarily legit. Don't think I have ever observed the sharing of private event BISS keys, but I am sure it happens.

I do remember a major Hollywood studio used to screen upcoming movies with BISS encryption. That was too tempting of a target and they transitioned to another method when they learned that it had been compromised.

oh ok I didn't know they used biss over here in the states

It's actually fairly common as I see BISS quite a bit in my occasional video feed searching when coming across an encrypted occasional feed. I think FOX Sports uses this to encrypt their college sports feeds, ESPN might -- it's been awhile since I looked at at the info on an encrypted ESPN feed to see if they use BISS or another system -- and I know other college sports broadcasters and other enterainment or news feed uplinkers use BISS to encrypt the feeds.

I assume it's because BISS CAM's are likely not an additional hardware expense (the last commercial receiver I bought, the BISS module was standard, not an additional option fee, so it blows away the FTA old wives tale that encryption costs broadcasters money to implement and use), the broadcaster/content holder can change the BISS key easily/on a whim if wanted and BISS is good enough right now to keep the content away from the eyes of home dish owners without being too complex since it's not like that many home dish receivers have a BISS CAM let alone access to the key needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts