Bizarre Coincidence?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I have Hopper with Sling

Yesterday ~1300, I received a call from 866-668-8047 that my caller ID indicated was DISH Net. The person on the other end said they noticed I was experiencing frequent signal loss and then asked if I was having issues. I told her that I wasn't. She said, "Okay, thank you, well, if you have issues, feel free to call us back at 800-333-3474, and we'll arrange for a service technician to evaluate and repair you system."

After a little search I see the 866 number is probably a telemarketer. However, the number she gave me to call should I have issues is the legitimate DISH Network number. I imagine if I had told her I was having frequent signal loss, the script would have descended to a more nefarious level. I just blew it off, but I did do a quick diagnostic to confirm that there were no dial ins, signal losses or other issues and these were all listed as "0".

However, this morning, when I turned on the TV, this is what I saw:

xTX8yur.jpg

It initially looked like a factory reset, but my DVR recordings were still there as were my timers and satellite configuration.

However, the following things were changed:
  • Color scheme was "Classic" whereas I previously had it at "Modern"
  • Guide format was descending instead of ascending
  • Favorites list was gone
  • TV resolution defaulted at 480p
  • Network was gone
  • Personalized Hopper name was gone
  • OTA channels gone
There were probably other things that I just fixed without thinking.

So, I'm assuming the call the night before this was coincidental, but bizarre nonetheless.

The software version, as you can see in the pic is U249. I have no idea what the previous version was or if this was even the result of an upgrade.

Anyone know what happened?

Well now that you mention it, I'd put a "save settings" option at the top of the wish list.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The reset looks like what would happen if you re-did the Installation Wizard. (While you are on the Diagnostics screen, press the Info button, followed by the Recall button.) This is a way to force a software upgrade, but it also returns most Settings to the defaults. It is possible that somebody could have hacked into your receiver to do that remotely. (Tinfoil hat time!)

Not a coincidence. Your receiver was reporting errors over the internet more accurately than in person. They do make those calls.. I would schedule an appointment or do a little more diagnostic. The reset is weird, however.
Yep, STBH - Set Top Box Health. It's part of why we need to connect the hoppers to the internet

Reactions: NYDutch
Do you have anything that would block your dish for a few seconds? Tree branch or leaves? I had that issue last year, and where I lost signal for no more than 5 seconds at a time, I didn't fix it before going on vacation. While on a beach, Dish called me. I knew exactly what it was.

I got the call (maybe more than once) a few months before my receiver started acting up. Turns out the tuner was going bad and I ended up needing a replacement. I'd call Dish back and find out what is going on.