BJU HomeSat H2100IR Digital Satellite Receivers for FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dsmith0429

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Lake Placid, FL
Has anybody ever figured out how to use the old ATLANTA DTH/BJU HomeSat H2100IR Digital Satellite Receivers for FTA? The screens show options for adding satellites, transponders, DiSEqC settings, etc, everything that you would expect from a receiver, but most of the options are locked and I haven't been able to find any info on how to JTAG and reset them, or modify the firmware so that they can be used for FTA. I have 2 of these that look new that was given to me. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
never heard of that model.
the 8009ir was based on the old sti5500 processor and useless,I stripped one the other day for parts.
the 8800ir was the one that could be converted to microyal,it had the sti5518 processor.
I would pop the lid to see what it has for a processor.

I contacted ATLANTA DTH Tech Support, no answer yet. The strange thing is on the inside the boards are different, one is Revision B, the other Revision C. Also shows a EMM S/W S/N, I'm guessing that's something to do with the software. The Revision B has a STi5500BVB processor and the Revision C has a STi5500BVB-X processor. Also something interesting in the Revision B. There is a modification where the main board has been scraped and a postage sized circuit board has been soldered in with wires and hot glued in place near the firmware chip. I wonder if I cut the wires to that board if it will unlock the screens? The Revision C has a totally different main board, no noticeable modifications. Both have a HYUNDAI HY29F800TT-90 x8/x16 Flash EEPROM. And Rev B has 2 HYUNDAI HY57V161610D (2 Banks x 512K x 16 Bit) Synchronous DRAM chips, Rev C has 2 HYNIX HY57V161610D (2 Banks x 512K x 16 Bit) Synchronous DRAM chips.

Last edited:
Found the data sheet for the firmware, it says: Megabit (1Mx8/512Kx16), 5 Volt-only, Flash Memory. Also found the data sheets for the STi5500 processor, HY57V161610D SDRAM as well. Now if I only knew how to use this information...

Last edited:
true fta receivers based on the sti5500 were very rare.The forum sites that may have had some alternative went belly up years ago.You're about 8 years too late.Do what I did and just salvage them for parts.

I really put the grey matter to work and jtagged my 8009IR.
I had forgotten about the sti5500 and bfr mode.
I used usbjtagnt and had to tweak a few settings to match the receiver.
Mine used the hynix hy29F800 flash.

I hate to be negative, but MPEG-2 standard definition receivers are so cheap these days that it's not worth the trouble unless you enjoy tinkering.

tinkering and it makes a great conversation piece.
My old receivers actually perform better than my newer receivers for certain things.
The s10 and x2 have no signal beep function for dish aiming,as an example.

I do enjoy tinkering with electronics, and the sti5500 series processors were also used in other things such as cable tv boxes and DVD players. I have a relative that has experience with the HY29F800TT-90 x8/x16 Flash EEPROM, and is going to see if they can do anything with it. From what I've been able to gather so far is that the CPU isn't as important, but trying to access the EEPROM is. If we can get the EEPROM reprogrammed it should work fine as a FTA receiver. And this model does have a scan option, signal meter, as well as DiSEqC support, but I think it is DiSEqC 1.0, because there is East & West buttons on the remote. There is also options for adding additional satellites, but as with the DiSEqC option, many features are currently disabled. I tried using the dish with a universal LNBF, but could never lock on to anything, I'm thinking the dish may be damaged, and not aiming correctly, because I didn't have any trouble with other dishes I set up. I know the LNBF is fine, because I set it up on a diffrent dish afterwards. These were free, and thought maybe I could use them for at least 1 satellite so I can give them away to friends to try and get them interested in FTA.

Last edited:
you could try dumping the flash with jkeys,assuming the receiver has a jtag port

I found this, sounds like it may work, just have to find the adapters it sounds like:

"jKeys Version 2.9.9 by Dave2 jKeys is a program primarily used to access memory on IRDs. It works by utlizing processor diagnostic devices via the JTAG port. This software has been used on STMicroelectronics STiXXXX (ST20 based core) and LSI SC2000 processors. As of version 2.9.9, jKeys supports a new device called jInterface. This device connects to a PC using the serial port as opposed to the parallel port. It uses a microcontroller to perform the majority of JTAG communications, removing the burden from the PC. In doing so it alleviates many of the problems associated with poor timing and electrical characteristics exhibited by computers. It provides buffering and standard level signals at consistent clock rates to provide stable and reliable reads/writes. It is completely hands delicious, and with the exception of 2 simple removable adapters, is configured totally by jKeys operation."

20pin simple jtag should work.
male db25 <-------> Receiver

Pin 2 <-------> Pin 9
Pin 3 <-------> Pin 11
Pin 4 <-------> Pin 13
Pin 5 <-------> Pin 19
Pin 13 <-------> Pin 15
Pin 25 <-------> Pin 20
all receiver even number jtag pins are ground,pin 1 is usually the closest one to the processor.

Last edited:
Won't be able to make or use that cable, don't have a 25-pin port on my PC. only have 1 9-pin serial port, no parallel or 25-pin serial. Will have to find the jInterface they mentioned so I can use the serial port I have.

jinterface hasn't been around for like 10 years
it was about 3 years ahead of it's time way back then but most pc's still had parallel ports.
It never caught on and went poof.
cheaper to get an old pc from friends or goodwill.

Possible Homesat Fta Setup Instructions ?

We have 2 of the Homesat Receivers too & was trying to locate the fta setup info. Anyway,
Saw Your Post & Later came Across a Seller on Ebay who Seems to Explain how to do this.

Maybe You will Find it Helpful if it Happens to Work with Your Homesat Model...(0:

Here is the setup procedure for the ADTH IRD. You can use the lyngsat webpage as a guide,
it has the G-19 satellite schedule listed with the frequency and Symbol Rate needed for each
transponder.

To Set HomeSat IRD's up for FTA service:

• Steer antenna to 97 Deg W, Vert Pol KU BAND
  • Power up IRD
  • Press Menu
  • Scroll to Installation
  • Scroll to Factory Default and Press OK
  • Enter Password 0000 And Select YES for System Reset
  • Press Menu
  • Scroll To Installation
  • Scroll to Service Searching
  • Scroll to Manual Setting
  • Input PIN 0000
  • Scroll to D/L Freq and Press 11789 (or the transponder freq listed in Lyngsat)
  • Scroll to Symbol Rate and Press 28125 (or the symbol rate listed in Lyngsat)
  • Scroll to NIT Search and Select On (Right Arrow)
  • Ensure LNB Freq set to 10750 for Ku Band Reception
  • Press OK to Add Channel and Select Yes.
  • Do this for each transponder with FTA channels needed.
  • Channel will be displayed in upper box.
  • Press Exit Twice and Channel map will be added.
  • Use CH+ and CH- to scroll the SCPC or MCPC channels added to the Mask.Clear signals confirmed coming from Globecast...!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts