Black Screen Of Death

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
Been having this problem past few weeks. My question is if I need to replace my 622 will I lose all my shows?

If so, wondering if I can wait until Aug when storage is activated, store my shows and switch out my 622 and still have my shows?

Thanks

brian

IF they replace your 622, you will lose all of your recordings. If you want to keep them, wait until you have external storage activated.

This problem is a software issue. I am having a similar issue with my 211 receiver. E* is aware of the problem and confirmed it was software related.

This problem is a software issue. I am having a similar issue with my 211 receiver. E* is aware of the problem and confirmed it was software related.

Most Black Screens of Death on 622's, when you are just watching and not trying to change things, are now believed to be hardware. There is still one that is known to be a CC bug (I think that was fixed in 4.06, but 4.06-09 have been rolled back to 4.05).

If someone is having them on a regular basis, with no indications of other problems, it probably time to report it to E* and see if E* wants to replace it. If they really cannot live without their current recordings, plan to pay the $40 external storage fee, then they might want to wait to mid August.

Mine occur always while watching a recording, show will be playing along fine, then black screen (sometimes accompanied by screeching audio) and a locked up player that needs to reboot.

Brian

I've been getting black screens lately (black screen when viewing or watching a recording, but can hit select and see the program information). I noticed that I get this when I come out of Dish Interactive. I reboot and it's fine. Do I have a serious problem or is this some kind of software bug. I don't use Dish Interactive that often, so it's not that much of a hassle for me.

Mine occur always while watching a recording, show will be playing along fine, then black screen (sometimes accompanied by screeching audio) and a locked up player that needs to reboot.

Brian

BSOD with screech is exactly what they replaced one of my ViP622's for. Essentially would occur out of the blue while watching a show. Sometimes live and sometimes recorded.

Not sure about the problem SLOCOMA reported. With the BSOD no controls work (except for power button reset) and eventually the machine reboots, if you don't reboot it first.

BSOD with screech is exactly what they replaced one of my ViP622's for. Essentially would occur out of the blue while watching a show. Sometimes live and sometimes recorded.

Not sure about the problem SLOCOMA reported. With the BSOD no controls work (except for power button reset) and eventually the machine reboots, if you don't reboot it first.

When you have this problem (as I did), report it to dishquality@echostar.com and they will forward it to the engineering dept. In my case, they wanted to replace my receiver and wanted to have me send the old one directly back to them in Denver (instead of the usual El Paso). I subsequently had to replace the replacement, but that's a story for another day. ;)

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)