BLACK screen on TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tracyt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 3, 2005
HOUSTON, TX
OK, I have read about some 110 issues... BUT this evening when I got home (in the Houston,TX area) I turned on the TV and no dish logo... Just a BLACK screen on the TV... Tried turning on the 522, green light on, but still nothing. Unplugged unit for about five minutes, plugged back in STILL BLACK. Could this be associated with the outage? or Has my 522 unit shot CRAPS? ANY other ideas to try? THANKS

Came home from a week away, and none of my three 942's are showing anything on their respective tv's. Zip, nada, nothing. Did a 10 second power reset, and no change. I am getting sound but no picture at all. Can change channels, and hear the sound change, but no picture, no guide, no DVR, zip. Same with satellite channels and OTA. No change in inputs, etc on the TV's. Sorta at a loss for a next step.

Tracyt:
The outtage on sat 110 would only affect certain channels.

Channels 101 & 105,106,107,108,109,110,112...etc... are on sat 119 so use them as a reference if you can get to a picture or aquiring signal screen. (you may have to chan up/down)

I was able to watch DVR events and tune to non-E* 8(110) channels while the problems were occurring yesterday.

Your Houston locals come off of 119, so it isn't the 110 issue alone.

I know this really doesn't HELP, but more info is needed...

First, make sure your TV is on the right channel/input. Sometimes power loss can set a TV to a different input. It sounds stupid, but I've done it myself, so always rule out the obvious.

Is it in Single/Dual Mode -change it-

Change it to dual and move your audio and video from TV1 to TV2 output. No change?

Unplug power then swap sat input cables on the back of 522. plug it back in and power it up. -Its worth a shot-

TV works? Try a VCR on the TV to make sure the input on the TV isn't bad. My TV just went black one day.

If you have a switch between the 522 and the dish, it might be the cause, but I doubt since you are black screen and not 'no signal'.

Process of elimination should tell you if it is the 522 or not.

Lastly it could even be electrical damage from a lightning strike/power surge. It is anyones guess. Wally mart has battery backups for $27-38. I've put one on mine since the last 522 cooked(138'F) for no apparent reason last month.

Hope you get it figured out.

I know this really doesn't HELP, but more info is needed...

First, make sure your TV is on the right channel/input. Sometimes power loss can set a TV to a different input. It sounds stupid, but I've done it myself, so always rule out the obvious. >>> Have tried all inputs...Using s-video off back of 522 to the video 1 input on TV

Is it in Single/Dual Mode -change it- >>> Can't change channels or go from dual mode to single mode

Change it to dual and move your audio and video from TV1 to TV2 output.>>> No change

Unplug power then swap sat input cables on the back of 522. plug it back in and power it up. -Its worth a shot- >>> Unplugged for about half hour, and swapped cables...wish this would have helped, but still black screen, no dish logo.
TV works? Try a VCR on the TV to make sure the input on the TV isn't bad. My TV just went black one day. >>> VCR works fine on video 1

If you have a switch between the 522 and the dish, it might be the cause, but I doubt since you are black screen and not 'no signal >>> No external switch..

Process of elimination should tell you if it is the 522 or not.>>> Plugged in my old 5000 (de-activated)and at least got the guide....must be the receiver.... guess this will cost big bucks!!!!!

Lastly it could even be electrical damage from a lightning strike/power surge.>>> Have TV, sound system and 522 on really good surge protector

Hope you get it figured out

THANKS

BUT I was one of the people that purchased / bought the 522 off of e-bay back in February!!!
Now what are my options????

:(

THat sux. I don't know if you can get on a lease 'DHA/DHP?' plan now or not.

Maybe someone else can steer you here because I don't know how to answer this.

Anyone??

I tried your suggested list with the same result as Tracy. My TV's tell me they are getting no signal at all. Am calling dealer. But it just seems unlikely that three units would go bad in the same week. It has to be something simple. Thanks for the list.

Mark,
Thanks for all of your suggestions.... and help
I unplugged it last night and when I get home tonight I will plug it in one last time!!!! and see if it changed it's mind about working!!!!

THANKS

tracyt said:
Mark,
Thanks for all of your suggestions.... and help
I unplugged it last night and when I get home tonight I will plug it in one last time!!!! and see if it changed it's mind about working!!!!

THANKS
There is always DHPP (Digital Home Protection Plan) at $5.99/Mo. Cancel after they have cured the problem. You also know the 522 has a 1 yr. warranty from activation. :)

boba said:
There is always DHPP (Digital Home Protection Plan) at $5.99/Mo. Cancel after they have cured the problem. You also know the 522 has a 1 yr. warranty from activation. :)

EVEN if bought from EBAY????

boba said:
were you the first to activate it? :)

YES, I was the first to activate...
It was still sealed in box, and never activated... confirmed by DISH before I purchased off of EBAY

UPDATE...
Got home this afternoon.... plugged in the 522... STILL BLACK screen
Called DISH and they are replacing the unit. Sending new unit and gave me RMA for DEAD unit....
That was really easier than I thought it would be.
THANKS

Sweet!

I'm glad you got it resolved so easily. They are quick on the shipping. I got mine in 48 hours.

The bad part is that all your DVR events went bye-bye too, so always assume that someday when you go to watch a recorded event... It *may* be gone...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts