Black spaces on screen

landon1937

Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
usa
I have just upgraded my tv to a HD Sony KDL-46EX400 and Dish to HD with the VIP222K receiver.
My question is: Does everyone have about 2" wide black space at the top and bottom of the screen? I watch some programs such as Fox News and it is that way almost all the time except when some commercials are on.
I was wondering if it is the Dish Network, the TV or the programming?
I can make it full screen but some of the picture will not showing on both sides and the quality of picture declines. I have tried every adjustment I can find on the TV and on Dish to correct this.
While visiting the local McDonalds for a good hot cup of coffee they had Fox News on one of their Sony TV and the same blank space was at the top and bottom like mine.
As you can see, I am a novice at this.

The black bands at top and bottom make what is called a "letterbox". This is necessary to show a 16:9 picture on a 4:3 screen. McDonalds probably had an SD feed of an HD Fox News which would cause this, or else they didn't finish configuring their TV.

Are you using one of the two HD outputs of your 222? These are HDMI (best) or component. Once you have HD outputs connected to your Sony, then you should make sure you told your 222 that you have a widescreen TV. You will never see HD on coax, S-video, or composite connections. Finally, there is a double-inventory of most HD channels: one in SD and one in HD. Are you certain you are viewing the HD version?

My hd tv is connected by way of coax. That was the way it was set up before I got the hd. The tech never said that I needed to set it any different.
I am using the receiver upstairs at a regular tv and the coax is to the hd tv down stairs. Something he said when he was leaving was that I could not move the receiver. From what you say I need the receiver at my hd tv so that I can connect by way of the hdmi connection. Is this correct? Should I have him come back and move the receiver? Should I pay him to do that? Or is this something I can do?

My hd tv is connected by way of coax. That was the way it was set up before I got the hd. The tech never said that I needed to set it any different.
I am using the receiver upstairs at a regular tv and the coax is to the hd tv down stairs. Something he said when he was leaving was that I could not move the receiver. From what you say I need the receiver at my hd tv so that I can connect by way of the hdmi connection. Is this correct? Should I have him come back and move the receiver? Should I pay him to do that? Or is this something I can do?

Yuck... There's your problem... You need component or HDMI for HD... WTF is with these "techs" saying coax is fine... That's the worst connection you can possibly use for an HDTV if it's non-ATSC...

You also need to change the box to output HD when you get component or HDMI...

landon1937 said:

That tech pulled a fast one on you. He got paid and did minmal work. Your reciever needs to be at the HD tv location. You will be amazed at the difference in picture when done correctly.

Quick note: Whenever you get it hooked up via component or HDMI, MENU - 6 - 8 - change aspect ratio to 16x9 and choose either 720p or 1080i. May even want to go back and forth between 720p and 1080i to see which one looks best to you.

If you wish to do it your self it is ez. Locate the wire from the dish fallow it to the diplexer.(it will look like a 2 way splinter) it should have 2 wires on one side one marked sat the other uhfvhf on the other side of the dieplexer it will have one line in/out . Move the line from in/out to the location of uhf/vhf then the one you removed uhf/vhf to in/out . If you get a searching for signal on the box in its original location you are 75% done.

Now remove the one cable from the box and plug it in to the tuner of the tv change the channel to what the other set was on . Then take the box to your HD tv in hook the coax from the back of the set and hook it up the box plug in the power then the hdmi . Once on the hdmi input of the tv you should see dish logo press select on 1 remote then menu 6-8 and set up 1080i and your picture should be up and running. Tv2 now should also have picture . Look up in the manual how to program the remotest to the tv, s since the will also be changing locations and enjoy.

Or call the tech directly and see if he will come without requesting $$ then slip him20 if you feel his time was worth it 30+ min . If you told him prior to install the location of the hdtv and he put it in the wrong room $0 if it was never discussed then he took a 50/50 chance and was not at fault.

Good luck

I have notice that when they put up the dish it has three "eyes" as opposed to the old one with only two. There is two coax running from the dish into the attic. One of the cables is not hooked to anything nor was it hooked to anything before he changed to the HD dish. Is this correct?

landon1937 said:
I have notice that when they put up the dish it has three "eyes" as opposed to the old one with only two. There is two coax running from the dish into the attic. One of the cables is not hooked to anything nor was it hooked to anything before he changed to the HD dish. Is this correct?

If you only have the one receiver that is correct.

They all have spools of big black ugly dual-coax + ground cables, so they run this from the LNB assembly down to some place more accessible. The trouble I have with this is that (1) it's black, (2) it's ugly, and (3) it only works for 2 receivers. If you need to go to 3 or more receivers, you still have to run one more cable. You know what they use for the "one" more cable they need? Yup; another dual+ground. We can also have any color, as long as it's black.

Last edited:
wait a minute.. did u ever think the custy said he wanted it set up that way. he even said he didnt have an HDtv there.. all u have to do landon is set up a 15$ svc. call and a "tech" will come fix ur prob.

Yeah but if a tech came out to set it up for HD... Which I highly doubt the OP upgraded to HD before he got the HDTV, then the "tech" was a retard for hooking up that HDTV via coax... If the OP can't fix it, DISH shouldn't charge money to get it set up right when the "tech" should have done it right in the first place... There is a 60-day period where if there is anything wrong DISH will fix it for free... I'd say something is wrong here...

TheKrell said:
They all have spools of big black ugly dual-coax + ground cables, so they run this from the LNB assembly down to some place more accessible. The trouble I have with this is that (1) it's black, (2) it's ugly, and (3) it only works for 2 receivers. If you need to go to 3 or more receivers, you still have to run one more cable. You know what they use for the "one" more cable they need? Yup; another dual+ground. We can also have any color, as long as it's black.

Thats funny you say that cuz i cant get black, not that i want it, at our LSC. Its all grey and white, and tgats alright with me.

Just wanted to tell you all that I called the tech people and they sent out a guy this morning (Sunday) and placed my receiver at the HD tv. There was no cost to do this. They said they wanted me satisfied. I did buy a hdmi cable for $20 from the tech and I guess that was reasonable as I did not have one and that price was comfortable to what Wally World has them for. I guess that that $20 was for coffee, ha.
The picture is much better now and I don't see the ghost any more.
Thanks for all the help you guys provided.
Landon

Last edited:
landon1937 said:
Just wanted to tell you all that I called the tech people and they sent out a guy this morning (Sunday) and placed my receiver at the HD tv. There was no cost to do this. They said they wanted me satisfied. I did buy a hdmi cable for $20 from the tech and I guess that was reasonable as I did not have one and that price was comfortable to what Wally World has them for. I guess that that $20 was for coffee, ha.
The picture is much better now and I don't see the ghost any more.
Thanks for all the help you guys provided.
Landon

Well good deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)