Black/white picture on VCR from 522

KYG

Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I am having a weird problem.
I have 522 DVR and when I record something from DVR on my VCR, I get a black/white picture.
When I record on my VCR from a live TV channel, the picture is color.
I have a simple connection with antenna wire:
DVR -> VCR -> TV

Any help will be appreciated!

Hard to help without knowing how you connected the DVR to the VCR.

Is it TV1 CH 3 or 4 modulated "TV Output?" TV2 agile modulated output? Composite video/stereo audio? S-Video/stereo audio?

Is the "live TV" off-air or satelllite?

FWIW, in my experience the most common cause of loss of color in A/V hookups is a loose or defective S-Video 4-pin mini-DIN plug.

When I push the "skip back" button on TV2, I get a black and white picture until I push the "view TV" button, so the bug is in the box. That feed is composite on Ch. 60, so there is no S connector in my setup. Dish is sending me a new 522, and it will be interesting to see whether it cures my loads of problems, or gives me a new set! The current receiver is a joke, and not a funny one, at that!

supereal said:
When I push the "skip back" button on TV2, I get a black and white picture until I push the "view TV" button, so the bug is in the box. That feed is composite on Ch. 60, so there is no S connector in my setup. Dish is sending me a new 522, and it will be interesting to see whether it cures my loads of problems, or gives me a new set! The current receiver is a joke, and not a funny one, at that!

If you have your VCR set to record Channel 60 from the DVR then you are NOT using a composite cable to get the signals from the DVR to the VCR you are using the RF output. If that is the case then it is possible that your VCR is not completely locking on to the modulated output from the TV2 RF Output.

The best connection to the VCR would be S-video but most VCR's don't have an S-Video Input. The next best would be Composite (Yellow, Red and White RCA cables), and be sure that you know how to the set the VCR to use the Composite Inputs. Most Newer VCR's have a line Button. Some older VCR's require you to tune to a VERY HIGH channel like 90 or 99 to engage the Composite inputs.

John

John: I'm not referring to a VCR. The system worked OK for awhile, now loses color when the skip back button is used. The TV set is fed with the RF output, not the composite as I said earlier, which is looped thru a VCR, which is seldom used. Going directly into the TV does not affect this problem, anyway. The VCR does accept the channel 60 input OK, however. It was an earlier post that had a VCR problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)