Blackout truths?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SportFan

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Can someone please explain a blackout problem, truthfully? I got different explanations from Directv staff/mgr, and I don't think I am getting the correct info.

I am in Vancouver, WA. I recently signed up for FOXSPORTS channel lineup. I was told this would give me ALL of the Fox Sports channels. After more consideration, I also added the NBA league pass.

I was disappointed with the league pass, as I got NONE of the Trail Blazers (portland, OR) games (neither home nor away). And one Suns game vs. Bulls was blacked out. So I called and complained, and had the pass cancelled... believing I would still be getting FoxSports channel 649AZ so I can keep up with the Suns games.

Now I am not able to view any professional NBA games on Fox Sports channels,.... the Suns game on 649 says error 721 - I do not have the channel... when I tried to see the Warriors game, I got error 727 - channel not available in my area. < these two errors appear to be different problems... and the 1st Directv CSR said they were different problems, that I had to subscribe to the PASS to get the pro games on the fox channels... However, a mgr told me that both error message were being caused by tonights pro games (Suns, Warrior, sonics) being blacked out in my specific area....

Why are so many blacked out? they are not in my area, nor my home teams... and it shows on the TV guide as being a game offered on 649/651 etc, and I was told I get those channels, and did get them until I cancelled the Pass.. so why cant I see them? I am paying to watch that channel (649).. and I wanted to watch it during that game!!! To me this seems deceptive - telling me I will get all the fox channels, then blocking the only reason I signed up for them.

I am a newbie to the sports channels... why was I getting all the games on Fox stations when I had the Pass... but without the pass I do not get Any pro games, but I am still paying for the channel... The CSmgr states it is simply a problem that all tonights games are blacked out for me.

Can someone please explain.

For real, true BO info you should call each league independently as THEY are the one that setup, control and administer market areas and DBS companies turn on & turn off games (blackout) based on your zip code; not distance not what you think you should get, but what the leagues / teams claim.

BUT, basically if you try to watch a game and the channel you are on says BO/not in your area. Very likely another local channel claiming you is also showing it and has the "rights" and you should simply tune to that channel; it can even be a local affiliate.

Sports pack channels are NOT an open ticket to watch any and all games; pro or college; that is what League Passes are for.

This is a very basic explanation, but should help the thought process.

For real, true BO info you should call each league independently as THEY are the one that setup, control and administer market areas and DBS companies turn on & turn off games (blackout) based on your zip code; not distance not what you think you should get, but what the leagues / teams claim.

BUT, basically if you try to watch a game and the channel you are on says BO/not in your area. Very likely another local channel claiming you is also showing it and has the "rights" and you should simply tune to that channel; it can even be a local affiliate.

Sports pack channels are NOT an open ticket to watch any and all games; pro or college; that is what League Passes are for.

This is a very basic explanation, but should help the thought process.

What Charper said +

Sports Packs are for YOUR Local team
League Passes are for all other games.

You need to contact the Team / League about this as D* has NOTHING to do with these designs.

Technically you should not get ANY of these, but we won't go there at this time ....

Call/ Email the team/ league and see what they can do for you.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts