BLACKOUT

We request that all your comments be directed to the parties involved in the negotiation, Heritage Broadcasting or Dish Network and not to local advertisers. Local advertisers support our communities and should not be subject to intimidation tactics."

How kind of Heritage to tell y'all where to apply the screws! Advertisers should immediately demand a pro rata reduction in their payments.

...In the meantime, we suggest that all Dish subscribers request a discount on your monthly bill due to the loss of the #1 and #2 viewed networks in Northern Michigan...

ROTFL!!! How can you get a discount on something that's free???

...Advertisers should immediately demand a pro rata reduction in their payments.

Right on! Now that's who should be DEMANDING a discount.

Cheers

Local NBC station just ran a crawl on the local news about their negotiations with Sudden-Link.

If an agreement is not reached by 12/31 they are off local cable.

Congress needs to kill this stupid retransmission charging - -these stations are free OTA and cable and satellite providers deliver a clearer signal or often a signal that is not available OTA in small outlying communities.

I think they gave stations the permission to do this in leu of sharing the booty from spectrum auctions, so down at the bottom this is a money grab by the feds - they get billions from spectrum auctions and local stations get pennies for retransmission and consumers pay the bill all around.

Heritage is demanding an outrageous "take it or leave it" fee increase of more than 500% and has completely walked away from the negotiating table. We are shocked at Heritage's unprofessional behavior and its complete lack of concern for its viewers.

we are doing all we can to work this out as quickly as possible.

LouF.
Internet Response Team
Dish Network, LLC

Local NBC station just ran a crawl on the local news about their negotiations with Sudden-Link.

If an agreement is not reached by 12/31 they are off local cable.

Congress needs to kill this stupid retransmission charging - -these stations are free OTA and cable and satellite providers deliver a clearer signal or often a signal that is not available OTA in small outlying communities.

I think they gave stations the permission to do this in leu of sharing the booty from spectrum auctions, so down at the bottom this is a money grab by the feds - they get billions from spectrum auctions and local stations get pennies for retransmission and consumers pay the bill all around.

It's AT&T Uverse that they are having the problem with.

TV station is lying

Worked in TV for many years and the stations are plain and simply lying. They are charged for carriage of the networks on a subscriber basis. So they may very well be cutting their nose off to spite their face. They are losing numbers of eyeballs. And if it goes on for long they will get less ad revenue. Of course they are betting it won't last long. Also the amt charged by the networks to them is a percentage in relationship to subs also. It isn't a fixed fee as they are trying to indicate. It is all based on the Neilsen's numbers. So it won't be known as to how much they are losing until next sweeps if it last that long. I hate this crap and hope to see the FCC write so new regs (it has been discussed) to change the retrans consent for stations. I hop to see it start biting them in the butt. The TV stations see this money that comes in from sat cable co's as gravy money above and beyond the ad revenue.

Dish dropped CBS in my area last october, still doesn't carry CBS.That's right, almost three months without the number one network.
DISH runs a propaganda loop on the CBS space that says the same thing over and over- the stations are greedy, DISH is trying to keep costs down, blah, blah.
Here are the cold, hard facts:
Dish has dropped the local CBS station- they are not paying them anything anymore. Yet, DISH subscribers didn't see their bill go down- so much for passing savings on to the subscriber!
DISH has been losing subscribers. Yet, in the same month they dropped CBS, they made huge profits.
Bottom line- DISH really doesn't care about subscriber and "keeping prices low", they only care about profits. Gullible stupid DISH fan boys will buy into the DISH propaganda. The local CBS affiliate runs ads on the radio saying "DISH claims they are trying to save you money. Well, they don't carry CBS anymore- what are they doing with the money they saved? Are they giving you a discount? People report that if you call up DISH and complain, they'll knock off $10 a month. Better yet, switch to cable or Direct, don't miss out on the highest rated network on TV!"
I have joined the 1000's of other DISH former subscribers by calling and cancelling, am now waiting for a box to send their crappy box back.
I now have a TIVO box ($10 a month) , get OTA for free, get HULU plus and Netflix for $15 a month, will never go back to the days of paying $90+ month to DISH.
If DISH drops your networks, you should cancel asap. If you are in contract, you should try to get out of it- you signed up for a contract with a set list of channels, if they don't carry them, that's a breach. If they don't let you out, remember this at the end of two years and never, ever, reup with them!

dsclark said:
Dish dropped CBS in my area last october, still doesn't carry CBS.That's right, almost three months without the number one network.
DISH runs a propaganda loop on the CBS space that says the same thing over and over- the stations are greedy, DISH is trying to keep costs down, blah, blah.
Dish has dropped the local CBS station- they are not paying them anything anymore. Yet, DISH subscribers didn't see their bill go down- so much for passing savings on to the subscriber!
DISH has been losing subscribers. Yet, in the same month they dropped CBS, they made huge profits.
Bottom line- DISH really doesn't care about subscriber and "keeping prices low", they only care about profits. Gullible stupid DISH fan boys will buy into the DISH propaganda. The local CBS affiliate runs ads on the radio saying "DISH claims they are trying to save you money. Well, they don't carry CBS anymore- what are they doing with the money they saved? Are they giving you a discount? People report that if you call up DISH and complain, they'll knock off $10 a month. Better yet, switch to cable or Direct, don't miss out on the highest rated network on TV!"
I have joined the 1000's of other DISH former subscribers by calling and cancelling, am now waiting for a box to send their crappy box back.
I now have a TIVO box ($10 a month) , get OTA for free, get HULU plus and Netflix for $15 a month, will never go back to the days of paying $90+ month to DISH.
If DISH drops your networks, you should cancel asap. If you are in contract, you should try to get out of it- you signed up for a contract with a set list of channels, if they don't carry them, that's a breach. If they don't let you out, remember this at the end of two years and never, ever, reup with them!

Something to keep in mind Direct tv did not have 9&10 for six months after the market was offered. Their contract runs out later this year. Changing might not be a good idea

dsclark said:

You should be entitled to a rate reduction, however if you go back to a previous post you will find out how minute your reduction will be. IMO $0.25 a month is not worth the effort.

You should be entitled to a rate reduction, however if you go back to a previous post you will find out how minute your reduction will be. IMO $0.25 a month is not worth the effort.

As per Dish agreement:

I. Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to which you have agreed. If a change affects you, we will notify you of such change and its effective date. In the event that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, we have no obligation to replace or supplement such programming, programming packages or other Services. You are not entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change of any programming, programming packages or other Services.

Free? I pay dish for my local channels. That 'aint free.

Unless you have that really cheap package that includes locals (like the one Iceberg has), you should probably try for a better deal. My locals have been free from the get-go. Of course, I've only been a sub for about 15 months. But my folks are long time subs... they get them for free too... and they didn't even ask for them.

Are there a lot of customers with regular full-blown packages out there that are still paying for locals?

Cheers

I am in this market and will be sending a complaint to the TV station telling them flat out that they are being greedy. Dish is in the right on this one. Both channels 9 and 32 out of Cadillac/Traverse City are small town stations that are full of themselves. I suggest others flood the station with emails as well.

we are doing all we can to work this out as quickly as possible.

LouF.
Internet Response Team
Dish Network, LLC

I was at an office Christmas party Friday and there was quite a bit of chatter on this. Although people are usually quick to complain about their tv provider this time the blame was on Heritage as being the bad guys. One question brought up was could Dish substitute an alternate CBS and FOX channel. It is not practical for people to just run up on the roof and put up an OTA antenna in December. (this is Northern Michigan)

I absolutely have to side with Dish in every single one of these disputes. If I get TV OTA, I don't pay a dime, and the station operator gets paid via the number of estimated eyeballs it delivers to advertisers. Cable is easy. A cable providor has very little to do- grab the signals OTA, and mix 'em in to the distribution amplifiers. Voila! More eyeballs for the licensee, more money, too. And cable operators shouldn't have to pay a THING to the station operator- that station is getting something for absolutely NOTHING with no effort involved whatsoever.

Dish, OTOH, has to float a bird, maintain it, put up infrastructure for every single local market they want to provide, get the signals, encode, shove 'em skyward and shoot them back down, using up bandwidth that they could conceivably use for something else. I can understand why Dish charges a fee for me to get locals, there's costs involved in making that happen. And in my case, I can't get any OTA at all, nor is cable available, so the only way any station gets my eyes is via Dish. The station should be paying THEM. Period.

In Curtis Mi last summer the cable company eliminated 9&10 and replace it with channel 3 for the same issue

Because Dish charges you for local channels and the local channels want some of that money. Everything is $$$$$$$ !

RT.
It's the other way around. The stations are aware their signal is available free of charge to antena users. The stations have federal law on their side ( retransmission consent) that permit the stations to charge the provider to 're-transmit' the original signal to that providers pay tv customers.
It is the tv stations desire to offset their expenses the reason for their demands to be paid more. In many cases, the tv stations actually demand 'more for less' What that means is, the tv station's ratings fall but the station demands more money.
Retransmission consent rules are the province of the FCC and the Congress. These rules have been debated to death and nothing ever comes the consumer's way.
When a tv station demands more money and the station disappears, blame the tv station.

Yup. That is about the same Email I received from them. I can guess the networks always want more money due to the TOTALLY INSANE amount of money they pay sport players.

RT.
It has nothing to do with sports. The networks do own some of the stations across the country. Most are privately owned. Each company that owns tv stations has a contract with each provider.
Those contracts are individually negotiated.
So for example, Heritage has to deal with Dish, Directv, Comcast and Time Warner. Heritage would have a contract with each company. Hence the reason only Dish subs have lost access to Heritage owned stations.
The networks negotiate the deals with sports programmers.
It's not really anything but the NFL. As long as the NFL remains king and continues to get the ratings, the NFL can and will continue to demand and receive huge money. So, until people tune out, the price will continue to rise. Supply and demand.

As per Dish agreement:

I. Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to which you have agreed. If a change affects you, we will notify you of such change and its effective date. In the event that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, we have no obligation to replace or supplement such programming, programming packages or other Services. You are not entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change of any programming, programming packages or other Services.

I question the legality of that clause and if I were in a contract with them, I'd challenge. When you subscribe to DISH, you are in a contract for their service, but what that clause says is that they degrade the service (or even eliminate it, that could be called "a change of service") and you are still locked in. When subscribing, you had no idea that they'd drop key channels (channels that have the highest viewership). For example, if they were to drop all four networks (the basis of basic service) according to that clause, too bad so sad, enjoy HSN or watch some LOGO!
For those who persist in hanging with DISH, I hooked up my laptop to my 73" Samsung and watched most of what CBS offers (they don't have "Mike and Molly" streamed on demand from cbs.com. It was a bit of a hassle, you still get commercials and the way my system is set up, no 5.1 that way, but I was able to watch cbs shows this way until I got my TIVO unit.
There is a legal term for this is which escapes me, but I do remember that you can't contract out someone's rights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)