blind as a bat :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ayahsoo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Ok so I got my Viewsat extreme finally.
I was a cable, then local satellite, the cable, now trying fta satalite.
Got the VS 2000, and a KU-BAND LNBF (Model ASC322)

Installed the LNBF on my existing Starchoice dish (I think that may be the problem. I will install proper dish when the rain stops..hopefully tomorrow)

Now I have ZERO clue whats next.
I run the antenna setup program, and do a blind scan, nothing.

I read the manaul, dont know what the heck it wants me to do that I am not alrady doing.. and I'm in IT??!

Can someone tell me what to do next?
I guess I need to change the dish to the one that was shipped (tomorrow)..
But after that???

What kinda satelite do I have??
I used the satelite finder that came on the cd, but it doesnt have a Viesat as an option.
By the way I am in Oakville oOntario.. (Just west of Toronto)
Thanks.

In response to the page

it says i need to make at lleast 3 post before i can use the pager, and my original post is locked. so here.

I am not sure what sat I should be after. I 'm using the KU-band , and west of Toronto.
I'll do some more research and find out.

Depends what you want to watch. Most will require at least a 33" dish and linear lnb.

Galaxy 10R at 123 west seems to offer the most in terms of "traditional" programming: network channels, music, etc.

PBS has a handful of channels on AMC 3 at 87 west.

Premium channels (like HBO) aren't free to air.

mrweather said:
Depends what you want to watch. Most will require at least a 33" dish and linear lnb.

Galaxy 10R at 123 west seems to offer the most in terms of "traditional" programming: network channels, music, etc.

PBS has a handful of channels on AMC 3 at 87 west.

Premium channels (like HBO) aren't free to air.
ok, i'll start out with the Galaxy 10 R.
Thanks..
So is there a way to find out how i'm pointing the dish?
I got a compass, but not sure what exact direction to point
thanlks

Sure, the FAQs on this forum help a lot :) Here's a link to a Satfinder program. http://www.arachnoid.com/satfinder/

Enter in your lat and long or your zip code. If you need to know your lat and long, just read the FAQs and there is a link there. The program will give you a direction for G10R. Take the number for "azimuth" that it gives you, and go that many places to the west of your south. Also, it will tell you elevation and skew, and adjust those parameters on your dish. (Elevation is up and down, skew and the clockwise/counterclockwise adjustment of the dish, azimuth is direction east/west). Use your recever's quality meter to tell you help you aim the dish. Good luck, and keep us updated!

dashaund said:
Sure, the FAQs on this forum help a lot :) Here's a link to a Satfinder program. http://www.arachnoid.com/satfinder/

Enter in your lat and long or your zip code. If you need to know your lat and long, just read the FAQs and there is a link there. The program will give you a direction for G10R. Take the number for "azimuth" that it gives you, and go that many places to the west of your south. Also, it will tell you elevation and skew, and adjust those parameters on your dish. (Elevation is up and down, skew and the clockwise/counterclockwise adjustment of the dish, azimuth is direction east/west). Use your recever's quality meter to tell you help you aim the dish. Good luck, and keep us updated!
Kool!
Ok so my log lat is 49 19N, -79 47W
So I got
Latitude 43° 19.000'N Longitude 79° 47.000'W

Galaxy 10R 123.0W 233.9 245.4 24.1 36.0
So I'll set the elevation first. Thing is, on the dish, the dial goes from 20 to 80. .. But the sat finder says 24.1. At 30, the Dis is almost pointing downwards??
Am I getting this right?

yes that is normal. KU Band dishes have a 22 degree offset so it looks like the dish is pointing down but that's normal :)

I have a 30 degree elevation for G10 here in MN (45N 93.5W)

Iceberg said:
yes that is normal. KU Band dishes have a 22 degree offset so it looks like the dish is pointing down but that's normal :)

I have a 30 degree elevation for G10 here in MN (45N 93.5W)
Thanks IceBerg!

Well back to the roof (and I gotta be at work in 30 mins )

My neighbours must think I'm a cat burgular by now.
I'm surprised no one called the cops as yet. I access the roof thru a window, so I can see how it could be mistaken for a burgular..
Hope nobody calls the cops *help*

BRB

Ah screw em, the neighbors don't know the true fun of FTA and gettin on the roof. I get looks from my neighbors all the time. Especially when I'm up there with the 5" b&W TV trying to peak the dish. :) Enjoy urself!

When neighbors laugh, you can laugh right back at them knowing that you are gonna be receiving free channels that they are probably paying for!

techno935 said:
Ah screw em, the neighbors don't know the true fun of FTA and gettin on the roof. I get looks from my neighbors all the time. Especially when I'm up there with the 5" b&W TV trying to peak the dish. :) Enjoy urself!

My neighbor always wonders what I’m doing when I’m on my roof peaking dishes with a 9” TV and the receiver. :)

techno935 said:
TV on the roof huh :eureka
Now that I'll try once i get home!

At last, I had set the elevation to its lowest, now I see like 14% Signal strength (was getting 7% before).
From the manual, it seem to need to be at least 50%.. So I'll keep at it later and give you guys and update.

Still not sure how to get the horizoltal positon correct, but took my cheap-ass compass out my car to work and gonna try figure this thing out when i get the chance.

Its much easier to aim the dish while looking at the TV instead of using 2 people or to guestimate.

Or as I do in the winter, place the TV right up against the windo so I can see it outside as I am freezing my behind off :)

Signal strength means nothing at all, you HAVE to use a LIVE transponder and watch for signal QUALITY only!

You will have to be able to see a TV from the roof (Or take one up there) or you will NEVER find the satellite!

if you feel you are close try a BLIND scan if you have it!

I second what PSB said. You can't just line up the measurements and think that you're going to get it...you won't! You HAVE to either have an expensive satellite meter or take your receiver and TV to the roof and adjust the dish till you get as high of signal quality as you can get. Try to get more than 50%, the higher the better. Adjust side to side till you find the highest you can get, then adjust elevation until you dial it in. Keep tinkering until you are satisfied with the highest signal strength possible then tighten it down.

If your signal STRENGTH is that low, you probably have a bad coax cable, LNB or switch (if applicable). Both my Pansat and Twinhan receivers typically show about 48% strength even without any signal present. A good Ku signal will jump it up in the 60's or lower 70's I think. You should be using signal quality to point, but if your strength is that low, you might have other problems besides just pointing.

Iceberg said:
also make sure LNB is skewed properly (unless this is a motorized unit)
thanks man.
that i should be able to do.
I see a dial on the clamp holding the lnb, it numbers from 0 to 50 on each side i think(zero in the middle)
I'll check it later and post an update.
Man its gonna be a celebration when I get this thing to show a picture ..

Iceberg said:
also make sure LNB is skewed properly (unless this is a motorized unit)
ok skewed clockwise to between 30 and 40 (hoping its 36 as per the finder)

Well I've been getting signal strength in the 70s. and the signal qualitly fluctuated to 14% ( this was, me on roof on cellphone, wife at TV on house phone).
Now doing a blind scan because the setup info doesnt make a relationship.
For example on the Ku-ban LNBF package, i see
RF:11.70/12.20GHz
IF:950/1450MHz
LO:10.750GHz
Gain:55dB
Noisse Figure:0.5dB

I am guessing this is the info needed for the antenna setup, but not sure how it translate to the setup which ashkj for
LNB Type = Standard
22KHz
TP Frequency

If Type = Universal, then
LNB High
LNB Low
Tp

(the other suff I guess is obvious)
Any ideas based off the info?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts