Blind scanning problems on ku with the ultra

phillipa197

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
ohio
I posted a problem a while back ago about a green picture on my az box and I did figure out the problem it is my tv the hdmi is not compatible with the azbox as I did try the azbox on a different tv and the hdmi works good so I. Am using component on my big screen and I can't tell the difference in the picture.

My other problem I am having is when I do a blindscan on ku it seams to be extra slow a lot slower them c-band and when it gets to like 40% sometimes 80% it starts over and re scans and it find the same transponders is there anything in the settings that will correct this problem? I did a factory reset and still the same problems.

For a Faster blind scan:
In the "Blind Scan" menu, change the "Polarization" to the polarity you want to scan, either Horizontal or Vertical. Do not use ALL which is the default.

When scanning I usually only scan 1 polarity at a time, on the KU side highlight the Maximum Frequency and change it to 12200. Leave the Minimum at the default on KU.

When scanning on C-band change the Minimum Frequency to 3600. Leave the Maximum at the default on C-band.

This will decrease your scanning time and you will not lose any channels since they do not use the frequencies outside those ranges in North America.

If you have the factory default transponders still in your Azbox you want to delete all but one from the satellite before performing a blind-scan.
This should greatly reduce the amount of time to perform a blind scan procedure.

Thanks for the help I did what you said and I scanned in half the time thanks again! Also what channel is the history on ku I can't seem to fine it anywhere and also I can't get a lock on NASA either I enter the tp and still can't get a lock is my dish to small? I have a 7 in a half foot solid aluminum dish and would norsat lnbs with the elbows out help a lot?

I enter the tp for NASA and I can't get a lock on it I am only getting 6 horse racing channels so do you think my lnbf would need adjusting on the scaler ring or maybe dish is not 100% allined? What satellite is history and bio on? I have been scanning and can't fine it I did fine on c-band but it is not fta. Would I have better results with the dmx741? I do have the bsc621-2. Also where are the retro tv on ku? I have been looking on the satellite list.

Phillipa197 NASA is on C Band 87.0W AMC-3 H - 4000 / 28111 - 3/4, so if you are trying to get it on KU Band it's not available. Last time I checked there are approx 40 Horse Racing channels on 95.0W on KU Band and they are all scrambled, so you may be on the wrong Satellite and need C Band LNB as mentioned for NASA. RTV Network is available on KU Band on H-11735 / 0440 / 7/8 on 83.0W AMC-9, but it has to be manually scanned in. Radar has an excellent post in this forum on how to Manually Scan in RTV and it works well.

Last edited:
I know that NASA is on v-band and I did that tp on 87 west with nothing and I know 95 works for me on ku and c no problem and the horse racing channels are not scramble they come in as fta for me not a problem. I am having trouble with NASA on c-band can't get a signal. Same way with retro and still can't fine history and is history sill fta?

History and Biography are on 101, but they aren't named that. They're named Enc11_test or something like that.

I know that NASA is on v-band and I did that tp on 87 west with nothing and I know 95 works for me on ku and c no problem and the horse racing channels are not scramble they come in as fta for me not a problem. I am having trouble with NASA on c-band can't get a signal. Same way with retro and still can't fine history and is history sill fta?

Huh, phillipa, If you check "The List" on these pages there are NO Horse racing channels listed on 87.0W / AMC - 3. Whether they are scrambled or not there are approx 40 Horse Racing channels listed on 95.0W on KU Band (see The List), so you likely are Not pointing at 87.0W, if you are scanning in Horse racing channels, recheck your alignment. You can also use a handy guide at: Satellite finder, how to point dish with magnetic north, azimuth and elevation program calculator. to ensure your Latitude, Longitude, and Dish Elevation are pointed correctly. Hope this helps.

I do know that I am on the right satellite now because when I do a scramble search I do get all of the CSN networks that is listed on the list this not getting anything below the CSN channels and I am getting close to 80% quality on that sat. I am scanning 101 ku right doing a blind scan and so far 6 tp and 4 new tps so I hope the history channel will show up

I did get the history and bio channel and a bunch of Chinese stuff as well so I do know that ku is working and I did do a scan again where NASA is and I can't scan it in. I am thinking there is something wrong with the lnbf.

There is horse racing on AMC-3 (C-band) but on vertical. Maybe your LNBF is only catching vertical transponders... Vertical is low voltage (12-14 I think) and horizontal is 16-19v thereabout. If you have lots of resistance in the cable circuit (bad connections, excessive cable length, bad power supply in your receiver etc) causing voltage drop at the LNBF you may not be getting the horizontal polarities. If you have a diseqc motor positioner in line, try taking it out of the circuit and check the NASA TV transponders again.
You should also be getting THIS TV, TVU and MY TV all horizontally polarized signals on this satellite.
If still no-go, try measuring the voltage on the RG-6.
Also remember the DMX-741 uses 22KHz switching between C and Ku, while the DMX-741U uses diseqc for C/Ku switching and 22KHz switching for hi/low band on Ku (local oscillator), not sure how it affects C-band. Make sure you are set up for the right unit.
Kind of cold out to do outside testing though...
Keep warm!
-C.

I actually have the bsc621-2 and I do have a 250 cable run length maybe I am only getting one polarity in all of my channels? I did try to scan this horizontal but after the blind scan the receiver still scanned both polarities after I set it to do only one. Is there any settings in the azbox to do because I do have it set on 1.0 with the quali-tv 4x1 switch I have. Also would the dmx741 be any better then the bsc-621-2? I am also thinking of using the norsat lnbs with the elbows out? Would that help my signal?

Hey is the big ten network and fx still fta? I had it yesterday and it is not on today this wondering what happen? I am getting wverthibh else on 91 this not the feeeds fx and big ten network?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts