Blind Scanning ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Ok i have viewsat ultra and i have been trying to blind scan some birds for feeds and whatnot but heres the problem. in the blind scan menu there is a setting for tp step, 5 6 7, i want it to scan 12000,12001, etc not 12000,12005, etc

anyone shed some light? or do i just live with it?

no reason to set it for lower than 5. The box will find +-3 on each side. So if you scan it as 5 it will find on the other sides of it. (if it hits 11730, it will sniff and find 11733 as an example)

Normally the frequencies are 4 mhz apart. i've seen 12190, 12194, 12198 on the same polarity (of which the Coolsat grabbed all 3)

Scan like that would take a long long time! But it really doesnt need to scan in such small steps to find feeds, I have one, and it just finds the same stuff if you scan at steps of 5, or 10, keep mine on 9 most of the time.
You' ll find also that the Ultra is basically blind to any feed with a low symbol rate-mine will not find anything under about 3800 symbol rate.
You CAN add it later manually, if you know of a low SR feed you want to try out. Blind-scan IS the right name for it on the Ultra. Luckily most of the wild feeds seem to be over 4000symbol rate so there's not usually a problem.

I have only one receiver Coolsat 5000 Platinum. I am using it for blind scanning.
There is recently a lot used and new low priced satellite receivers available locally in my area.
For HD and 4:2:2 I am using my USB DvbWorld with S2 abilities.

Are any of low price standard definition receivers significantly better in blind scanning or sensitivity then Coolsat 5000?
Does it make sense to upgrade to something else for DVB blind scanning?

-- Jan

I've had my CS5000 for 3 years now. One of the best boxes I've worked with and until I moved the Pansat 9200 in its spot, that was my blind scanning box :)

I have only one receiver Coolsat 5000 Platinum. I am using it for blind scanning.
There is recently a lot used and new low priced satellite receivers available locally in my area.
For HD and 4:2:2 I am using my USB DvbWorld with S2 abilities.

Are any of low price standard definition receivers significantly better in blind scanning or sensitivity then Coolsat 5000?
Does it make sense to upgrade to something else for DVB blind scanning?

-- Jan

Jan,
While the Coolsat is a fine unit, you might want to see if EBAY would give you a Mercury II at a bargain price, just for the different experience. The Mercury is a solid box, and you might find the added experience enlightening. I learn something from each new box I acquire. Occasionally, I learned that I was a fool for buying the box, but it soon leaves the house , in that case. My last Merc II purchase was for $22 plus shipping. That's a nice price point for a new toy.

:)

Brent

Jan,
While the Coolsat is a fine unit, you might want to see if EBAY would give you a Mercury II at a bargain price, just for the different experience. The Mercury is a solid box, and you might find the added experience enlightening. I learn something from each new box I acquire. Occasionally, I learned that I was a fool for buying the box, but it soon leaves the house , in that case. My last Merc II purchase was for $22 plus shipping. That's a nice price point for a new toy.

:)

Brent

Be careful of Ebay for FTA receivers. I bought a receiver on Ebay and it was loaded with hacked firmware to steal DN and Bev. My biggest hint to this fact was a satellite called Echostar Package! That really gave it away!! I had to reload factory firmware on it. Not a huge deal, but, a hassle!

If you can get them for cheap, I don't care what software is in it. As long as I can load factory software into it :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.