BLOCKBUSTER raising it's DVD rental rates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Call me ignorant, but I don't think there are any adult-video (only) stores around here. There's one or two stores in an entertainment district (bars, restaurants, lofts, etc) that are "adult" stores (you know, whips and chains, toys, and no doubt videos) but I have no idea if they rent or only sell.

Yea no mom and pops for us, family video is in the area but not near us. Only video store we have is blockbuster

Call me ignorant, but I don't think there are any adult-video (only) stores around here. There's one or two stores in an entertainment district (bars, restaurants, lofts, etc) that are "adult" stores (you know, whips and chains, toys, and no doubt videos) but I have no idea if they rent or only sell.

I live out in the county, not city, 3 or 4 of them within 20 minutes with toys and videos. Not one movie rental unless you count buying them at the pawn shop.

I live near a Family Video and there is one that is on my route to and from work. I've been using them for a few years now and they really know what they're doing. The store is filled with rentals and not tables full of used discs that are for sale. Amazing isn't it. A video rental store that concentrates on rentals. And they're growing too! I wonder why Dish didn't try this with BBV? Probably because they wanted the name for everything but store rentals. The very fact that Family Video is growing shows that there is still a viable business renting discs out of a store. You just have to be smart and need to be dedicated to doing it.

There is only one "mom & pop" video store near me. And it's been around forever. It specializes in foreign and indy movies (it does have big releases though). Probably why BBV couldn't put it out of business.

Thats a good business model. when your business is down, make things worse by raising rates even higher to scare even more people away.

Raise your prices to scare away business, thereby causing profitable stores to become unprofitable, justifying closing even more stores. A vicious circle of incompetence.

Although I have noticed that Family Video has raised prices on some of their new releases too.

One M&P left here in town but all the movies are very old, They even have VHS. But, the business looks more like a money laundering operation for drugs than a real video rental business. Did I mention they sell drug user stuff like bongs and glass pipes too?

Nothing beats my local mom n pop video store with $1.50/day Bluray and $1.99/ 3D Bluray. Oh and Redbox of course.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Ours is still open, one of the nice things is when we do the exchange and see that a movie is 2.99 per day I wonder how they stay open

But our store gets good traffic as well so folks must mind or return the DVD the next day. Would be infesting to see how many that use BB are dish customers using @home

Last edited:
Hollywood/Movie Gallery,and Ingles grocery stores tried to compete with a local chain here,they all failed miserably.Think they have about 20 stores throughout NC,and Tn.Good prices,plenty of copies both Bd and dvd,plus all the major gaming console games.

In addition, this week they increased the non subscription rental from $2.99 for 5 day rental to $3.99 for one day plus .99 per day late fee. Games, I believe are now $7.99 for 5 day.

(QUOTE]

My store had movies at $2.99 for one day rental and changed to $3.99 for a five day rental.

In addition, this week they increased the non subscription rental from $2.99 for 5 day rental to $3.99 for one day plus .99 per day late fee. Games, I believe are now $7.99 for 5 day.

(QUOTE]

My store had movies at $2.99 for one day rental and changed to $3.99 for a five day rental.

Having the BB@home and a store still open makes that a nice touch especially when you can hold on to the DVD for some time

I think this is great news. If BB gets more money, maybe they can afford more than one copy of each DVD. I have had some form of "high demand" for weeks now. Another $20 bucks from everyone might move me up to 3 rentals a year.

I had the blue ticket in store subscription and just used it mainly for games. What they did is leave the price $14.99 for one movie out at a time and upped the price to $24.99 if you wanted to still rent games and have one out at a time. They also went up to $7.99 for a 5 day game rental....This is crazy pricing considering Gamefly lets me have 2 games out at a time for $22.95. The prices they are charging for movies now I can stay at home and rent from xbox for a dollar more. In my opinion BB has taken a step backwards and it seems they are trying to force people to their online services.

Personally, I loved being able to go to my local store and trade my games/movies out...Not to mention the Blue ticket also included 1 online rental out at a time, plus for every movie I would rent in store I would get a second for free. It WAS one hell of a deal but they screwed that all up, but I guess a company has to do whatever is necessary to survive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)