Blockbuster to close all 300 remaining stores and distribution centers by end of December 2013 or ea

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Well got the email from dish announcing that they will close out all the rest of their 300 U.S. stores and distribution centers by the end of December of 2013 or early in January of 2014. I predicted as much last year and now its true. Looks like streaming video is winning the day with customers and physical dvds by mail are out. So Blockbuster will remain an in house name with DISH customers only like I predicted. Wonder how many jobs will be lost in this fiasco?

That really stinks for the stores that are still open, we have one by us that is the anchor of a plaza, I would think that the workers knew BB would not be open for the future.

Crazy thing is, for all the redbox, VOD, PPV the store gets good traffic. Folks do like the video store experience I think Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Read articles after seeing this post, looks like the mail DVD service is also shutting down

Last edited:
They had the oppertunity to run the blockbuster stores like an actual service center for Dish where customers could pay bills, swap bad boxes, return equipment or sign up for service.

I offered to do it for them at one of their locations and they told me no.

The whole program was grossly mis managed by Dish

Read articles after seeing this post, looks like the mail DVD service is also shutting down

I'm a little bummed hearing about that.

Unlike Netflix which adds a $2 surcharge to rent Blu-ray disks, Blockbuster-by-Mail didn't do that.

They had the oppertunity to run the blockbuster stores like an actual service center for Dish where customers could pay bills, swap bad boxes, return equipment or sign up for service.

I offered to do it for them at one of their locations and they told me no.

The whole program was grossly mis managed by Dish

"Grossly mismanage" a business that was on the verge of bankruptcy when it was bought? How many Blockbuster locations would you have to provide the service you describe. What type of need is there for that type of service? How would that be better than what they do now? Does DirectTV do this? If they don't are they grossly mismanaged?

It's called business and failures do happen. There was limited downside to all this. I guess I look at this differently in that 300 stores stayed open longer than they would have otherwise.....

I always know that any post you make on this forum will consist of a Dish slam.....

Well got the email from dish announcing that they will close out all the rest of their 300 U.S. stores and distribution centers by the end of December of 2013 or early in January of 2014. I predicted as much last year and now its true. Looks like streaming video is winning the day with customers and physical dvds by mail are out. So Blockbuster will remain an in house name with DISH customers only like I predicted. Wonder how many jobs will be lost in this fiasco?
About as many had Dish not stepped in.

Dish actually kept the paychecks flowing longer than if they didn't intervene

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Sigh. I don't think my son owns or rents any DVDs or BDs. It's all on his Apple laptop or it doesn't get watched.

Thinking maybe that this will be addressed somewhat at the conference call next week? Though not much else to say with the announcement today

And while anything can happen in business our local store had help wanted information not to long ago

. . . while anything can happen in business our local store had help wanted information not to long ago

You never stated how/where the info was presented: signs in store, online search, how? A couple of the stores in my area that closed this past spring had help wanted info even after the stores closings were in progress, especially via online search.

You never stated how/where the info was presented: signs in store, online search, how? A couple of the stores in my area that closed this past spring had help wanted info even after the stores closings were in progress, especially via online search.
Past summer there where signs in store as you enter. But that's for not now, never a good time for layoffs and such but not great timing around holiday season the "branding" right now I guess will be the channel/VOD suite Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm surprised they last this long. Here in upstate NY, AFAIK, all supermarkets that had video rental closed them in favor of Red Box. No employee costs or inventory upkeep.

Reading the article on IGN, it said it's still possible a few BB stores may stay open, due to the way franchise licensing works.

Reading the article on IGN, it said it's still possible a few BB stores may stay open, due to the way franchise licensing works.

Ready that part as well, wonder how that will work out

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)