Blockbuster to finally get HD-DVD and BD instore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Talked to the local blockbuster manager today and was informed that they received notification from corporate to make room in the store for a HD-DVD/BD section. Said timing was maybe 2 months away. I hope it's true.

My local store as of my last visit had the display up with just a placeholder for each movie as if they were rented out. I asked the manager and was told they weren't rented out as they never put the movies up yet as they don't have them quite yet. The manager at my store said they are expected to get the movies by the end of the month. I was also told that Blockbuster Total Access customers can swap their mailed DVD rental for these too.

My local store as of my last visit had the display up with just a placeholder for each movie as if they were rented out. I asked the manager and was told they weren't rented out as they never put the movies up yet as they don't have them quite yet. The manager at my store said they are expected to get the movies by the end of the month. I was also told that Blockbuster Total Access customers can swap their mailed DVD rental for these too.

Now this is truly GREAT! Maybe now i can actually get some more HD and Blu ray movies!

Blockbuster as well as Netflix has had both BluRay and HD-DVD for quite some time now. Locally a few stores have had them for a couple of months. The news of this thread may mean it will be an all stores policy and that is great news. Unfortunately, the number of DVD's in HD for rent omline has been a total of about 150 for about 20 titles so getting them is a waiting process. Maybe by summer, I'll have the incentive to spend the money for a Blu-Ray player. I'm waiting for our local Blockbuster where I do business every day to get them in stock. I use the Movie Pass system which is unlimited DVD's for $25 permonth. I hope the HD version will be a part of that membership.

This is some good news, but we will wait and see.

Blockbuster as well as Netflix has had both BluRay and HD-DVD for quite some time now. Locally a few stores have had them for a couple of months. The news of this thread may mean it will be an all stores policy and that is great news. Unfortunately, the number of DVD's in HD for rent omline has been a total of about 150 for about 20 titles so getting them is a waiting process. Maybe by summer, I'll have the incentive to spend the money for a Blu-Ray player. I'm waiting for our local Blockbuster where I do business every day to get them in stock. I use the Movie Pass system which is unlimited DVD's for $25 permonth. I hope the HD version will be a part of that membership.

I think most of us here know that the online services have had the HD formats for a while. The local stores were a test market as I understood it to see if stocking those formats was worthwhile.

Also I have inquired by phone to blockbuster just to verify and it was explained to me that at first, only blockbuster stores with a gamerush department that has alot of rentals will have the HD formats at first since those customers (esp PS3) will be ready immediately for the new formats. Also I was told that the new format movies will be included in the Total Access program, nothing about the moviepass was mentioned, but I did not ask specifically about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts