Blu-ray disc likely to win high definition content battle – report

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
16/11/2005 by John Tilak

Blu-ray disc now has enough momentum to ensure that it becomes Hollywood's preferred standard for high definition content, according to a report from market research firm Strategy Analytics. The rival HD-DVD technology is likely to survive as a PC standard, but Blu-ray will dominate in the market for stand-alone players and recorders. The standards battle reflects increased polarisation between alternative visions of the digital home, with the PC community led by Intel and Microsoft on one side and Sony and the other consumer electronics majors on the other.

'For all the talk of a unified digital home, deep divisions still remain,' notes David Mercer, principal analyst at Strategy Analytics. 'Billions of dollars of revenue are at stake as PC companies battle with the consumer electronics industry for control of the digital home media server. DVD's replacement will play a critical role in determining the success or failure of each group.'

The report highlights the importance of next generation game consoles in the outcome of the Blu-ray/HD-DVD conflict. The success of Sony's new Play Station console, the PS3, will ensure the dominance of Blu-ray as a high definition video content carrier.

Source

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
This will most likely go the same way as SACD vs DVD audio..
Not enough media for either to be initialy succesfull. The winner is the one who can get the format out to the public first with both players and discs.

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
Sony ...is an ASS of a company....although I love their TV (SRDX baby) you have to be a fan of big bother to want Sony to win this....Royalties up the ying-yang from everyone + the content on the disc will never be yours.

Take note of sony's DMC nightmare with their music CD's and ask youself why would I want them in my house...DVD player that have to phone home first before they can play etc etc......

Kiss my grits on this one Sony HD-DVD supporter all that way....

In all honesty they will both be niche markets/devices as the Joe-Six-Pack user just upgraded to DVD and things they look great on their 32" "BIG SCREEN"....ROFL....Like they will shell out the cash for a new player that they will never be able to see the difference in....not gona happen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts