Blu-Ray HDMI Handshake Issues

rockaway1836

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
Myrtle Beach SC
Going against conventional wisdom, but knowing full well that I could return it. I picked up the Sammy today. I was reading just too much bias both for and against it that I just got sick of it all and had to try it for myself. I took the unit home and hooked it up to my new 42in 1080P Westinghouse LCD. While going through the setup menu, the player would not allow me to use 1080P as an option. After being on the phone with both Westinghouse and Samsung, the Level 2 tech at Samsung told me there have been reports of this problem with some other 1080P displays as well. It seems there is a handshake issue with the HDMI connection and some sets. They are working on a solution and will get back to me. So here I sit watching Underworld in 1080I. The PQ is excellent by the way, but it's still going back in the morning.

The only comparison I could offer between the two are that my local BB has the HD-DVD player hooked up to the same set that I own. The only thing I have seen them play on it is The Last Samurai. Between the two ,Underworld had better PQ on BR than Samurai had on HD-DVD. That being said, Underworld is known to have the best PQ of all BR titles. I don't think the same holds true of Last Samurai. Keep in mind that Underworld was the most expensive of the BR disks available. I think that may have something to do with it. I did also get a chance to see a few other things at my local CC too. I caught the demo disk and that was incredible. I asked them to try a real movie and they opened a brand newcopy of Hitch for me. In an early scene there is a shot of someone buying a newspaper from a street vendor. In that scene you can't even make out the vendor's face. He's not that far away and should have been seen easily. IMO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts