Blu Ray-Over 1 million sold

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Nice! Anyone know where HD DVD is?
Only thing I found online is that at the end of 06 their were 120,000 HD DVDs sold :eek:

I think they're just shy of 800,000 titles sold since inception. Hard to get firm numbers. I think that 120,000 figure was the number of HD-DVD players sold.

It's been posted that there are approximately 5 times as many devices that can play Blu-ray as can play HD DVD. This includes PS3s and the Xbox360 add on HD DVD drive. But apparently PS3 owners are not buying as many titles as HD DVD player owners. It's just that there are so many of them. Blu-ray titles are still outselling HD DVD titles by roughly 2 to 1. Sony predicted 3.5 to 1 by this time- ha! We'll see how sales go as major titles go on sale over the next few months. Volumes are still low.

Here's a short summary of the first quarter sales. I'd only add that from a link posted elsewhere in the forum, DVD sales are over 100 million per month. Both high def discs formats together are only selling about 500,000 discs per month, maybe.

Someone wanted more informitive posts without the bickering here in the warzone, so I will start with this one, just a straight thread comparing numbers.

Much appreciated. While I have been known to "bicker" here in the War Zone, when I really feel like bickering, I head to The Pit. :p

According to Toshiba's announcement on HD DVD's "Birthday" (April 15, the 1 yr. anniversary of HD DVD's launch), 100,000 standalone players had been sold in North America (only players; does not include PC drives or Xbox add-on).

According to an April 25 article on IGN.com, HD DVD was just shy 2,000 disks from having One Million HD DVD disks sold -

HD-DVD Movie Sales Only 2k Behind Blu-ray
Most recent sales data shows formats almost neck and neck.
by Gerry Block

April 25, 2007 - The recent pres-release-bickering between the HD-DVD and Blu-ray camps isn't terribly new, though most previous spats have gone down in the midst of large trade shows. The most recent squabbling began when HD-DVD celebrated the format's birthday by announcing that 100,000 dedicated players had been sold, preserving the format's hardware lead, not counting the PlayStation 3 (story). Blu-ray fired back, announcing that Blu-ray movie sales had reached the 1,000,000-sold milestone, and added a little salt to the wound with the data that 70-percent of Q1 HD-movie sales were thanks to Blu-ray (story).

Today, HD-DVD's representatives from Webersh & Wick public relations wrote to IGN Gear directly with updated HD-DVD news. According to their figures, HD-DVD movie sales lag only 2,000 units behind Blu-ray with 998,059 units sold. The firm points out that pre-orders of Planet Earth and The Matrix Trilogy will propel HD-DVD over the million-mark quite shortly. Representatives also stated that hardware sales have continued with strength in April, maintaining a 4 to 1 margin over Blu-ray.

Though consumers would likely benefit to a resolution to this format war sooner rather than later, it's looking like the struggle may continue for quite some time. The upshot of it all, however, will be a long and amusing PR battle. Honestly, it's rare in technology to get this much back-and-forth in claims, counter claims, dueling sales statistics, and one sided announcements of victory, so kick back and enjoy it, maybe while rocking some undeniably pretty 1080p movies on the format of your choice.

too bad we couldnt have one post with the number of HD DVD vs blu ray drives sold (including add ons, and stand alones) HD DVD's vs blu ray sold and other tid bits of infor that could be locked and edited, just to give Facts what do you guys think? I know it might lead to some disputing, but you cant dispute facts.

too bad we couldnt have one post with the number of HD DVD vs blu ray drives sold (including add ons, and stand alones) HD DVD's vs blu ray sold and other tid bits of infor that could be locked and edited, just to give Facts what do you guys think? I know it might lead to some disputing, but you cant dispute facts.

That would be wonderful.

OK. The thread was started with a statement "Someone wanted more informitive posts without the bickering" with a link to Blu-ray's promotional site with a post by a "Josh" claiming that Blu-ray had sold 1 million BD discs.

The next post asked the question "Anyone know where HD DVD is?

Then we got "I think they're just shy of 800,000 titles sold since inception. Hard to get firm numbers".

So, I posted an article with Toshiba's statement that 100,000 standalone HD DVD players had been sold as of April 15, and that HD-DVD's representatives state that 998,059 HD DVD's had been sold as of April 25.

What exactly are your looking for in this thread? :confused:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=146

Someone wanted more informitive posts without the bickering here in the warzone, so I will start with this one, just a straight thread comparing numbers.

I have read SEVERAL posters asking for straight numbers of hardware sales, and HD DVD vs Blu ray sales without all the BS and flaming marks, so I created a thread for it, now in hindsight I was asking if people would just enjoy a sticky post that I will edit that will be locked that has Facts, this warzone has turned into the BS zone (which is fine, thats what its here for, sorta :) ) but I would also like to see facts in this place, not just poop smeared about.

That's why I started a thread on the Nielson data.

What would be nice is if we also had the data for unit sales each week or month for both titles and players. And a breakdown of the players into # of dedicated, stand alone players and numbers of PS3 & Xbox360 HD DVD add on drives. No strong need for #s of PC high def disc players.

But that information seems to be reported spottily, if at all.

I totally agree Chop! the point of this forum (the warzone) is for people to battle it out and give facts and opinnions of why one is better then the other, it would be nice becuase both HDDVD and Blu ray supporters visit this place if we could actually have facts for people to plainly see, I will run it by some others, but if you guys want to help pound it out here, I dont see anything wrong with it!

...finally getting around to buying some BDs now that I have time to actually watch them. I used rebates, discounts, and certificates to buy the following this weekend: Chicken Little, Crash, GoodFellas, X-Men, and Apocalypto.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts