Blue button remote

hoopsnut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Central Iowa
My mother in-law has an old Echostar 3800 with a blue button remote and a new LG TV. She does not have the users manual and I need to program her remote to operate her new TV. I have tried holding down the TV mode button, entering the TV code and pressing the #, but that does not seem to work. I did try all the codes available for LG.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

You will probably need a new remote a 3800 would suggest about 7 years on that blue button remote. The LG codes for the new TV have a strong probability of not being stored on the chip in that old remote.

No luck

Tried it Claude, but no luck. Here is what I tried.....I pressed the TV button until it stayed on, pressed the power button and then the channel up. Pressed channel up 25-30 times.

Does the LG remote not have a code for the Dish receiver? I'd check that (at least the 3800 doesn't have many features that need to be replicated) and if that isn't an option, it may be time to call Claude and get a Dish IR remote that's new enough to have your LG TV codes pre-programmed.

Thanks Roland

What I'm trying to do here is avoid teaching my 85 year old mother in-law how to use a new remote. She suffered a mild stroke a while back and now she is easily confused. I don't remember how many times I have had to drive back into town and switch TV inputs so she could watch SAT. When she has multiple remotes she gets in trouble, by pressing the wrong buttons. Ithas taken me several months to get her retrained on the current blue button remote.

What I may do is hide the TV remote and have her adjust the volume from the set itself. I had the TV button on the old blue button disabled so she couldn't change the settings on her old TV.

What I'm trying to do here is avoid teaching my 85 year old mother in-law how to use a new remote. She suffered a mild stroke a while back and now she is easily confused. I don't remember how many times I have had to drive back into town and switch TV inputs so she could watch SAT. When she has multiple remotes she gets in trouble, by pressing the wrong buttons. Ithas taken me several months to get her retrained on the current blue button remote.

What I may do is hide the TV remote and have her adjust the volume from the set itself. I had the TV button on the old blue button disabled so she couldn't change the settings on her old TV.

You should look into a remote like one of the Harmony remotes after you set them up they will change the TV inputs to the correct one for what ever source she needs ie CD DVR Sat.
Go to Amazon and search on Harmony.
There are other universal remotes out there but since I use the Harmony 880 I don't know any other brands.

Or you could make a very simple "cheat sheet" card for her. Perhaps a 4x6 size. Using Word/Powerpoint/whatever write out simple operating instructions using large pictures/icons of which buttons to push and in what order to push them. Find a nice pic of her remote from dishnetwork.com/online and crop it down to the buttons she needs to press and/or highlight, them. Print it out and laminate it.

If you don't have access to a laminator, break into your child's backpack and steal his/her glue stick. Glue the piece of paper to a thin piece of cardboard, like a FedEx letter pouch/envelope. After gluing, cut out the card and viola!...a handy-dandy info placard. And if you are feeling really resourceful, get some of that wide clear packing tape and cover the front (in overlapping rows) to "laminate" the card and protect it. I do this all the time at work (sans tape) for info I need at the ready (I have a nice slot on top of my monitor that I can stick them in).

Good luck. From personal experience, I realize you may be embarking upon a hopeless cause.

I feel your pain. At least my mother lives close by. When she messes things up it's a good excuse for a visit. She's usually got something freshly baked waiting for me. :hungry:

You could try a DISH 20.0 IR remote control as a replacement for the current remote it has 9 LG codes stored and looks much like her existing remote...

I feel your pain. At least my mother lives close by. When she messes things up it's a good excuse for a visit. She's usually got something freshly baked waiting for me. :hungry:

You're lucky. My mother routinely burned frozen dinners. In fact, she pretty much burned everything she cooked.

I think boba has a great idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)