BluRay has a better chance of survival then HD-DVD

The PS3 is pushing this christmas season on sales, do you know why? each PS3 bought means a BD-player in peoples home, that means 1-5 BD discs will be purchased, I've seen several people buying the PS3 for BD player purposes, and the nice thing about it is, they can play video games on it, and thats what I call innovation.
I dubt HD-DVD will be able to keep up with BD in the upcoming year, Pirates of the caribbeans will take the sales for BD on this holiday season, and hopefully by late next spring saw IV, I didn't have time post the other titles, but BD has a strong list of movies coming exclusive to BD discs next year which people would buy.
Honestly Transformers was the only good thing that went towards HD-DVD's way in a long time, if it wasn't for the Transformers sales I dubt they would be able to even sell those players for 100$.

Evel how could you call the PS3 an expensive machine dude? are you out of your mind now or something?

You get a freaking 400$ worth BD player in there.
You get a gaming system
You get Wi-FI
You get 60gb or 80gb Hard drive.
You get free online play.

Dude the 360 when it came out it was 400-500$ and it didn't include half of the things the PS3 includes.

Sony came up with a smart plan, I don't see nothing wrong with that.
Now if the 360 came up with that plan, I dubt you would think the same way.

Evel how could you call the PS3 an expensive machine dude? are you out of your mind now or something?

You get a freaking 400$ worth BD player in there.
You get a gaming system
You get Wi-FI
You get 60gb or 80gb Hard drive.
You get free online play.

Dude the 360 when it came out it was 400-500$ and it didn't include half of the things the PS3 includes.

Sony came up with a smart plan, I don't see nothing wrong with that.
Now if the 360 came up with that plan, I dubt you would think the same way.

And until Squarsoft releases FFXIII on it, it is worthless to play games on period.

All old ports or cheezy platform games.

(exceptions are Motostorm and Fall of man... but they get old fast)

Buy a 360 + Add on for same price... You will be much happier

Mass effect
Halo 3
Not having to wait 6 months for games like Orange box to be ported to your machine

I hate sonyphiles... There just as arrogant as Sony..

"HD does not start till we say it does" - Sony exec at E3 last year.

Don't forget Digital8

In the pro formats Sony has had a number of failures too but when they win it's big time big!

Failures- Digital betacam
Betacan SX
But they also had betacam and Betacam SP which the SP version became the defacto standard for all TV field production, news and production editing and is still the format of choice for distribution of TV on analog tape.
Today, HDV has taken hold in the consumer and low end prosumer. for Hidef while HDCAM is the defacto standard in HDTV field production. Varicam is still trying to make a foothold but has lots of competition.
DVCAM and miniDV have all but taken over in the professional video, DVC and DVC Pro is still holding on in some markets but the bulk is DVCAM or mini DV.

The one thing I know about Sony is they are very good with new technology introductions but will jump ship leaving their supporters high and dry. Get on the BR bandwagon but don't be surprised if Sony gives it up before all the supporters. I will buy into it knowing full well that Sony may drop it and I will have another $400 or less box sitting on the shelf worth nothing. just because there are a number of titles I would like to rent!

Ha, here is some news today.

quote:

Sony appears to be having problems with failure rates on the new 40GB PlayStation 3 model, according to retail sources.

Speaking to Dutch site Gamed.nl, Belgian games retailer Games Mania has said that while the new 40GB model is selling well, some 40 per cent of the new consoles sold so far have been returned due to hardware defects that result in the console being unable to read Blu-Ray and other discs.

No actual numbers have been made available so far, so it’s unclear whether this is simply a case of a single retailer receiving a batch of dud consoles or whether this is a more sizeable problem along the lines of the infamous 360 three red lights issue.

News Source: Gamer.tm

Looks like Sony is getting its own RRoD

riffjim,
You hit the nail on the head....bring on the cheap players and titles and lets enjoy it while it lasts. I have both formats and an equal number of movies of each. I dont see a difference in PQ and the only reason I lean to the HD DVD side...although slightly...is because of the dual format discs....I can take the kids movies and throw them in the car or the grandma's without a problem.

Zero? Anymore stupid loaded questions that pretend to win the conversation/war?

Now I have a question for you, oh wise one, a stat that actually matters:

How many BD capable players are out there, and how many discs per player have been purchased.

How many HDDVD capable players are out there, and how many discs per player have been purchased.

Can this even be figured out? This is why Warner is neutral IMO. It is similar to the console wars, the large 360 install base buys 7 games per console currently, the Wii and PS3 both are around 4 per console.

Which company should feel the most comfortable with those numbers, which should be worried the most?

In that analogy, Sony is in the Wii's shoes. So many more BD capable devices, but they can't get them interested enough to demolish the HD-DVD competition.

HDDVD is the Xbox in that scenario, with so many more discs sold per player, since most of their players are made for that purchase, instead of just a forced inclusion in an expensive gaming machine searching for an identity other than 'the expensive 3rd option of the generation'.

Lots of questions but you have to answer this one before I can get to work on it (I'm joking here)! But if we ignore the PS3 and the XBOX360 HD-DVD drive then BD's standalone attachment rate goes thru the roof over HD-DVD. But if we include the game systems HD drives into the equation then HD-DVD's attachment rate is definately better then BD.

The reason that this question cannot be answered is we really do not know how many people purchased the PS3 as a BD player and how many as just a game machine. And this is where Sony's stragedy has not come thru as strong as they thought. I think everyone would agree that if every PS3 owner started buying BD's the BD discs sales would be 2 to 3 times as many as it is.

The plain fact is that the majority of PS3 owners probably are not buying BDs at this time. However, a good percentage of them are probably not hooked up to HDTVs either. Once the PS3 goes on a HDTV there will probably be some BD movies either rented or purchased and a new BD movie customer will have been born.

Sony's stragedy might not have benifited the BD format as quickly as Sony originally though but the trojan horse is sure getting in alot of households and it is just waiting for that first HDTV to show up. In the meantime maybe those prices on BDs come down and that will help the horse get out of the box.

The reason is simple, storage space. BD is already showing up in camcorders, PC's is being used in audio mastering and of course is in the PS3. Even if HD-DVD won the HD movie game (which I still do not see -- but then who knows) BD would still survive in other products. There are just too many of them on the market right now.

The PS3 is only behind the XBOX360 in sales here in North America -- elsewhere it is leading the 360 and of course following behind the Wii. I still think the Wii will peter out in 08 -- but who knows. So the PS3 will keep BluRay alive and doing well for the next few years.

But if HD-DVD does not win the movie market what other product besides storage in a PC (and BluRay is going to win that market - it already has basically)?

Everyone is foretelling Doom for BD because Toshiba is sellling their players for peanuts. Well, they are going to sell alot, but I wonder, if BD did the same thing, if they priced the first generation players at $100 how many HD-DVD supporters would buy one?

Since HD DVD has accepted the 51Gb platter where is BD in size. Seems to me that HD DVD has the advantages on all fronts currently.

Well they still have a lower maximum bit rate for reading off the disc than BD.
Does bit rate really matter?

"The bit rate alone is a meaningless statistic and says nothing about the quality of the compression work. It is equally possible to create a lousy video image with a high bit rate, or a great image with a low bit rate, depending on the complexity of the content and how well the work is done. "

Commentary: Specs vs. Reality | High-Def Digest

Does bit rate really matter?

"The bit rate alone is a meaningless statistic and says nothing about the quality of the compression work. It is equally possible to create a lousy video image with a high bit rate, or a great image with a low bit rate, depending on the complexity of the content and how well the work is done. "

Commentary: Specs vs. Reality | High-Def Digest

This whole argument is just getting stupid (not saying any of you are stupid, by the way, just a general statement). A great transfer looks great on either format. Sound that is well-done sounds great on either format. The specs are close enough that you can't really say one dominates the other. It's all going to come down to pricing and marketing, like everything else does in this country....

By the way, 51GB HD-DVD is a marketing gimmick if I ever saw one - "Look! We're bigger than Blu-Ray now, by 1 whole GB!" How does a format that has 15 GB per layer (unless I'm mistaken, which I very well could be) get a 51 GB disc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)