BluRay/HD-DVD do component??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher_21

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Walla Walla,WA
Over at AVSForum.com, the general feeling is that when the BluRay/HD-DVD players come out, that component will not pass HD. The majority of people feel that to get the true HD these new players are able to do, the tv needs DVI/HDMI with HDCP. Now, everyone is saying this but no one has shown a link or anything to back it up. Anyone here with some info on this topic? I ask because though I dont consider my self an "early adopter", my tv only has component in and this news is very discouraging. I dont see how the millions of poeple to buy the first HD sets with component only can be left out in the cold!!?? Anyways, any discussion on this would be great. Thanks.

That's true. The component will only be 480p. HD will use either DVI or HDMI

dispatcher_21 said:
Over at AVSForum.com, the general feeling is that when the BluRay/HD-DVD players come out, that component will not pass HD. The majority of people feel that to get the true HD these new players are able to do, the tv needs DVI/HDMI with HDCP. Now, everyone is saying this but no one has shown a link or anything to back it up. Anyone here with some info on this topic? I ask because though I dont consider my self an "early adopter", my tv only has component in and this news is very discouraging. I dont see how the millions of poeple to buy the first HD sets with component only can be left out in the cold!!?? Anyways, any discussion on this would be great. Thanks.
I agree this sucks brine water....:)

Thats the thing BFG, you say its true, everyone says its true but I cant find anything online that confirms that. Everything that I find on the BluRay and HD-DVD webpage and hardware forum pages says its still under review and no decisions have been made. Where are you getting your info from?

I just read it somewhere like the rest of us did, I can;'t remember if there was a source or not, but I believe it.

Given that the content providers have pressured the electronics manufacturers into eliminating up-conversions via component due to lack of HDCP, I can't imagine that they are going to let "true HD" be run through non-HDCP compliant component connections. The fact that HDCP has already obsoleted a lot of TVs purchased just a few years ago doesn't seem to bother the powers that be.

From my understanding, the current upconverting DVD players dont go out over component because the current macrovision they use makes it difficult and the current official DVD Commitee rules dont support it. I believe its Buffalo Tech, the wireless network guys, have a wireless HD Media Center player that upconverts and does allow it to go through component, it also plays WM9 DVD's. I just dont see why they would leave out 5-7 million people with only analog inputs, thats a lot of lost sales. Besides, HDCP will be cracked within a year and that whole argument goes out the window. I my self, think that they will support HD over component but I guess that we will have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)