BluRay outselling HD-DVD since release?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Last edited:
Do you actually read what you link?

Report: HD DVD Selling More Units, Blu-ray Earning More Revenue

(...)
Comparing both formats’ first six weeks of launch, HD DVD player sales, which began in April, outsold Blu-ray players, which launched in June, by 33%.

But Blu-ray’s first six weeks of launch, thanks to its higher-priced players, raked in 42% more revenue than HD DVD hardware did during its first six weeks out.

(...)
The report also compared the two formats’ performance during a short time they have both been available, the six weeks ended July 29.

Based on that time frame, Blu-ray led the next-generation market with a 54% share of hardware units sold and a 69% revenue share, according to NPD data.

Blu-ray outsold HD DVD the first half of those six weeks, the beginning of its launch to market. But HD DVD outsold Blu-ray for the last three weeks.

The most broadly released HD DVD hardware product is the Toshiba $500 player, which has sold five times more units than the $799 “step-up” player, which has had a much more limited availability at retail, according to Toshiba.

So in other words as soon as the market realized Blu-Ray sux compared to HD-DVD, it turned to the HD-DVD.

FYI: apart from this limited, 6-weeks sampling HD-DVD had 2 months of advantage, so it's highly unlikely that an admittedly brokenBlu-Ray player would outsell it in just another month.

The key here is not who is selling what -- the Samsung player is definately flawed but there are considerably more BluRay players coming to the market -- including ones that will record HD so I believe that you will see these figures go back and forth.

The key here is the nugget -- " Blu-ray led the next-generation market with a 54% share of hardware units sold and a 69% revenue share, according to NPD data. " Now of course this is for the first 6 weeks that BluRay has been out. More product on the market from differant manufacturers (12 will be bringing out BluRay drives) will mean more sales.

It seems that BluRay is making money for everyone right from the start. And that is a good thing. Because if you are not making money you are not going to see a product down the road and we all know that Toshiba is losing money on HD-DVD right now. There are a few manufacturers that will be bring out HD-DVD drives and that should help Toshiba's bottom line too.

I salute Toshiba for their $499 player but I think that they should have brought it out at least at the breakeven point. This player should of been around $799 and the upscale (which I have yet to find in my area) should of been $999. Toshiba really did early adopters a favor with the lower prices. It will take at least a year to see if what they did will pan out but it sure doesn't hurt that the first HD-DVD movies look better than their BluRay counterparts. However, since the 50GB dual layer discs are now available that differance might become alot smaller.

Last edited:
You're still not getting the picture, Joe - who cares who made more money within a short-lived 6-weeks only period? Especially when Blu-Ray only ruled for 3 weeks then fell, due to its generally sh!tty quality as well as a faulty player.

And no, it's not about revenue at all. HD-DVD is much-much smarter to price its units close to mfr'ing price instead of trying to make money on it - HD-DVD, as technology, is cheaper than BD anyway and it's about USER BASE, Joe.
Perhaps BD make more money on the players but if HD-DVD will sell far more unit thus will have bigger market then BD slowly dies.

we all know that Toshiba is losing money on HD-DVD right now.

Nobody has proved that. A tear down by a couple of guys that don't have any information about how much toshiba pays for its parts provides no useful information. Now if somebody in toshiba's purchasing departement said they were losing money I would believe it, but nobody has. The amount of players that are being sold mean nothing to the bottom line of toshiba or samsung. The profit margins in consumer electronics are razor thin to start with...so until they start selling tens of millions of players the revenue generated by them is tiny compared to the rest of the company's revenue. All of the money comes from title sales...do you really thing a company makes any real money off of a $40 dvd player...

Marketing

Regardless of the price difference or quality the winner will be the one who does the best marketing job. I went in to CC yesterday in ABQ and I was told they do not carry the HD DVD only BR. Said it was a management decision because of better PQ, blah, blah, blah.

I then went across the street to BB and they had a demo of BR only. HD DVD was in stock, but on the bottom shelf and no demos. To my knowledge there is only 1 store here that you can even see a demo of HD DVD and that is at Ultimate Electronics. When you have all the sales people telling you that BR is better and no side by side demos for the consumer to make a decision themselves then HD DVD will have a tough road to go. Maybe they should forgo marketing through BB and CC (since they aren't anyway) and just mass market through Costco and Sam's.

Obviously if HD DVD wants to win the market they had better win the marketing game or get an even basis with BR at the consumer level.

JoeSp said:
The key here is not who is selling what -- the Samsung player is definately flawed but there are considerably more BluRay players coming to the market -- including ones that will record HD so I believe that you will see these figures go back and forth.
If im not wrong the first BluRay player that will be able to record wont beable to playback regular BluRay Disks. And I dont know about you but im not going to spend 2 grand (or whatever it will cost) just to record.

That BluRay is for the computer. The standalone units will play back BluRay movies and record on the BluRay discs.

JoeSp said:
That BluRay is for the computer.

This is complete BS, there's no such thing. Just as any computer DVD unti plays commercial DVD movies and any CD unit plays any commercial CD, any Blu-Ray unit should be able to play Blu-Ray movies, period - just like HD-DVD will do.

However, with the Toshiba HD computer drive you are not getting next generation storage capacity :

http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0,39035649,40060340,00.htm

A quote from the article, "The drive can't write to HD DVD discs, but it's able to both read and write DVD and CD discs, including dual-layer and DVD-RAM."

I don't care to watch movies on my 19" computer monitor when I have a Pioneer 58" Elite to watch them on. I do not buy a drive for my computer at home or my network in my business to watch movies -- I do it for storage. The BluRay will offer me up to 50GB storage for my business and all the HD-DVD drive will offer is the 4.7 GB I can get from the DVD drives already installed.

In this instance I think that Toshiba made a mistake. I would rather of been able to purchase a HD-DVD drive that could give me up to 30 GBS of storage than be able to watch a HD movie at work. Anyone in business who needs storage will back me up on this one.:)

JoeSp said:
In this instance I think that Toshiba made a mistake. I would rather of been able to purchase a HD-DVD drive that could give me up to 30 GBS of storage than be able to watch a HD movie at work. Anyone in business who needs storage will back me up on this one.:)

I don't know about this Joe. In the long run it is important, no doubt. However a few years ago there were 2 generations of PCs sold with DVD- read only and CD/RW drives. Sold a lot of units with the promise of playing DVDs and getting commercial DVD-ROM product.

I certainly could see it being promoted the same way again.

What is fairly obvious to me is that the HD-DVD folks have tried the lower price strategy, while the Blu-Ray folks are working higher margins at the mass marketer stores. It leads to some interesting contrasts. At two of my local Best Buys, the Samsung Player is heavily promoted on a prominent end cap with lots of literature and a big back display. It is playing on a 21" lcd set. The Magnolia Home theatre is using the Toshiba to source into its premiere system, but there is only a small price card, buried in back of a flip over cardset describing the system.

Obviously at BB, it is the choice to show quality, but the product itself is virtually invisible. Same with the media. Blu Ray on the end cap. HD-DVD buried back behind the toaster ovens.

However, an interesting comparison might be gotten from the early '80s with LD vs CED videodisks. The Laserdisk was superior technology. RCA heavily discounted and put a fortune into CED, and after a year, LD became virtually invisible. If RCA hadn't pulled the plug, we probably wouldn't have LD and thus DVD at all. The HD-DVD needs to get out there and fight the battle of the retailer acceptance.

JoeSp said:
However, with the Toshiba HD computer drive you are not getting next generation storage capacity :

http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0,39035649,40060340,00.htm

A quote from the article, "The drive can't write to HD DVD discs, but it's able to both read and write DVD and CD discs, including dual-layer and DVD-RAM."

I don't care to watch movies on my 19" computer monitor when I have a Pioneer 58" Elite to watch them on. I do not buy a drive for my computer at home or my network in my business to watch movies -- I do it for storage. The BluRay will offer me up to 50GB storage for my business and all the HD-DVD drive will offer is the 4.7 GB I can get from the DVD drives already installed.

You just confirmed you're totally clueless on how the IT/storage market works.

T2k said:
You just confirmed you're totally clueless on how the IT/storage market works.
I disagree. He clueless on a lot more than that. Its almost funny how uninformed and easily swayed he is by everything Sony says, on the other hand its sad.

My statement was about the HD-DVD drive that Toshiba is putting in there Qosmio AV HD-DVD notebook. The first HD computer drive to the market. It does not record on HD-DVD -- it just does playback.

http://laptopmag.com/Review/Toshiba-Qosmio-G35-AV650.htm

"Unfortunately, while you can watch HD-DVD discs, this drive is read-only. That means you can’t burn to high-capacity discs as you can with the pricier Sony VAIO AR Series, which sports a Blu-ray drive. With that system, you can back up to 50GB of data or burn high-definition movies you’ve captured with an HD camcorder, albeit at a very slow 1X speed."

Since you guys doubt what C/NET says maybe you can buy into what LAPTOP Magazine states.

But, maybe not -- I'm not clueless -- you guys are. I am talking about the use of a drive in a computer for storage -- not for watching movies.

Oh, and by the Vurbano, Sony had nothing to do with either of these reviews. I guess you guys always see night when the sun is out! Oh, and while I am at it, Tk2, just how much storage on a HD-DVD disc are you going to be able to save on that HD-DVD drive that Toshiba is putting in their Qosmio Av notebook -- none!!

You might not like what I post but others can read. I am not misleading anyone. I am speaking about specific products, I post information on specific products, and the information is from legit sites. If not, I state that in the begining of the post.

However, if you guys are going to troll and state that someone is clueless you should get your facts straight first. Every time you guys flame me with BS I am going to post sites the expose you for what you really are -- clueless. You misdirect the post to fit your statements. You try to take an issue off topic to prove no particular point and you post no sites of information to support your posistion.

If the Lord allows I will be around a long time. I always enjoy good banter and even good discussion -- but lately you guys offer nothing but negative, derogatory, insulting comments. Is that all you got? I expect this from Tk2 but from you Vurbano? I am trying to encourage discussion, debate, the search for knowledge. You guys want to squash the conversation before it can go anywhere. You act like bullies because someone does not share your particular position-- whatever that might be. How about dealing with the subject at hand and openly discuss its merits without mudslinging. Is that posible for you two?

It sounds so innocent I almost felt sorry for you, Joe, for a sec - then I realized you do nothing of your list but simply post all the marketing crap you read.

Ask questions instead of quoting Sony flyers, Joe.

Last edited:
Tk2, none of these post here are from Sony. One is a post on sales for a the period since BluRay came out. It shows a trend to the new and then back to what is working best. The other posts are about Toshiba's computer HD-DVD drive and comparison with BluRay's computer drive. They are designed to do to differant things - Toshiba's is about HD-DVD movies and BluRay's is about mass storage on a single disc. Differant approachs - neither is wrong -- with a computer I personally side with storage. Funny thing is , none of these posts have anything to do with marketing either product, unless you see the swing back to HD-DVD as a positive in the position of Toshiba in the HD movie market. In that case it is a statement to the desireablity of HD-DVD right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)