BluRay versus HD DVD - upconversion

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
With the current machines out there, which format does the better job of upconversion? I can state firsthand that HD-A1 does an excellent job. I haven't read user reviews for BluRay one way or the other. Just what Sony/Samsung has to say about their own product.

Plain old DVD is going to be a dominant form for the near future. The player that does the best job of upconversion is going to have a big edge.

Last edited:
DVD is not compatible with Blu-Ray...it is only backwards compatible with HD DVD. In other words, your existing DVD will not play in a Blu-Ray player so upconversion is not possible. I read where there are plans for a Blu-Ray/DVD hybrid format, but I have no idea when, or if, such a player will hit the market.

riffjim4069 said:
DVD is not compatible with Blu-Ray...it is only backwards compatible with HD DVD. In other words, your existing DVD will not play in a Blu-Ray player so upconversion is not possible. I read where there are plans for a Blu-Ray/DVD hybrid format, but I have no idea when, or if, such a player will hit the market.

This is wrong. Both Blu-ray and HD DVD are backward compatible. HD DVD does a better job of up converting. I only had Blu-ray for about 24 hours. I played a Harry Potter disc on it and it didn't look that great. My HD DVD player does a much better job with standard DVD's and upconversion.

Blu-ray will play regular DVDs. The hybrid mentioned is where one disc holds both Blu-ray and regular DVD movies on the same disc, on opposite sides.

navychop said:
Blu-ray will play regular DVDs. The hybrid mentioned is where one disc holds both Blu-ray and regular DVD movies on the same disc, on opposite sides.
A high up Pioneer exec has said there may be a BD/DVD hybrid with both versions on the same side of a dual layer BD disc.

So if I am getting the gist here, it sounds pretty consistent with a lot of other aspects of BluRay v HD DVD. BluRay is not on a par yet but may be better at a future point (or may not). Doesn't sound good for BluRay.

cebbigh said:
So if I am getting the gist here, it sounds pretty consistent with a lot of other aspects of BluRay v HD DVD. BluRay is not on a par yet but may be better at a future point (or may not). Doesn't sound good for BluRay.
It might be possible for Blu Ray could get better with 50GB disks but then HD DVD can get better with 45 GB disks if they desire and since VC-1 is so much more efficient the difference may be even greater. But Frankly I cant see any flaws in what HD DVD has now. SO let BluRay go to 50 GB disks, the machine is still 3 times the price of the HD-A1, and the disks will be really expensive too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts