BMW SiriusXM

SFCR

Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
NC
Hello All! We've purchased a BMW but the SiriusXM codes haven't been uploaded. BMW wants to charge $599.00 for the download and install. I found a couple of sites where they're asking for $300.00, and a couple of other sites where they advertise the codes are emailed and I can drag-n-drop the file onto a USB drive and the coding will install. We are hoping to get some better prices than $599.00, and no issues with fake/erroneous codes outside of a dealership purchase. The USB download sites offer a money-back guarantee and the ratings seem good...but ya' never know these days. We're just hoping to save some $$$. Your thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What are these codes doing? Does BMW now charge to enable satellite radio? :( Good grief. My Chryslers all came with a free 1yr promotional sub.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
What are these codes doing? Does BMW now charge to enable satellite radio? :( Good grief. My Chryslers all came with a free 1yr promotional sub.
The code enables satellite to function on the radio. Some dealerships will order the vehicle, in this case a BMW (order code 0693 Satellite radio preparation) to save the customer money if they don't want satellite radio. BMW will then charge to download and an hour's labor to install the code. Our local BMW dealership charges $599.00 (BMW charges them $399.00 for the code and the difference is the labor rate). If the car was satellite radio enabled, SiriusXM offered us a free year of SiriusXM Platinum.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Used - 2018 530i xDrive w/ 14k. Once owner car, always garaged. It came with the build code 0693 Satellite radio preparation, but the customer has to pay to get the code downloaded from BMW and uploaded to the car.
What does SiriusXm say about this ?

Probably more BS from BMW like they did before with having to Pay Extra for the Heated Seats to work.
True story from when electronic calculators were new (and enormous).

I used to teach physics labs for undergrads, and we had some calculators for our students easily to do some math. We bought just 4-function calculators because that was the cheapest. I noticed a big/ugly cover over much of the top of the calculator, so I decided to remove it to see what it was covering up. I found a full-blown scientific calculator with scientific functions! All the buttons worked.

True story from when electronic calculators were new (and enormous).

I used to teach physics labs for undergrads, and we had some calculators for our students easily to do some math. We bought just 4-function calculators because that was the cheapest. I noticed a big/ugly cover over much of the top of the calculator, so I decided to remove it to see what it was covering up. I found a full-blown scientific calculator with scientific functions! All the buttons worked.
Where I learned to love reverse polish notation.

The first electronic I used was the Friden 130 the boss bought to replace a couple electric/mechanical machines. It took up a good hunk of a desktop and could add, subtract, multiply, and divide (no exponentiation or trig functions). It used reverse polish notation to control 4 registers. Cost back then was $2150 and a well paid engineer got something like $700/month

The next year the boss bought us a couple Friden 132 models which added square root We would reserve a spot in line to use it (square roots were hell to calculate on mechanical machines).

1669312804057.png

Nice. Is that a little CRT to display the numbers? I remember one of my roommates at college had an enormous 4-function calculator with Nixie tubes! I do not remember whether it could take a square root, but I think it could.

Nixie2.gif

Then he bought an HP45 and we were all agog over that thing. Wow. I remember going to a talk by either Bill Hewlett or Dave Packard (don't remember which) who was giving a talk about HP engineering, and he whipped out what looked like a fat HP45, put it next to the microphone so we could hear it, and put a little card in one side. Bzzzzzz! We all knew it was programmable and pandemonium broke out in the audience.

Reactions: Foxbat
Sticking with the subject. Even if my Nixie clock is warm and distracting.
That's a lot of money to activate what everyone else is just a phone call away and an hours wait to talk to Simi to get an activation.
Good lord I hope the heated seats ain't costing you per month!
Look. If you do get SXM in your car. You're stuck with a sub in that car.
Looking at the specs. It has an aux in jack? Bluetooth audio?
Why not get an SXM radio that you can take with you? They have many on the site.
If it sounds tasty. Beat them to a pulp for a deal. And to keep from getting a big surprise when renewal is due.
Grab a prepaid Visa. Well worth the 5 or so bucks. Then you have control of fighting with them and the bank when they slam you big time for an auto renewal that SXM hopes you don't catch.
I learned the hard way with my new car. The sub was associated with the checking acct. I bought it with. 1 year free. Then I noticed an auto draft on my account for way more....like $214...which is considerably more than the 5 bucks or so a month that I can get a sub for (but never ever will ever again).
Maybe??

Reactions: SFCR
Sticking with the subject. Even if my Nixie clock is warm and distracting.
That's a lot of money to activate what everyone else is just a phone call away and an hours wait to talk to Simi to get an activation.
Good lord I hope the heated seats ain't costing you per month!
Look. If you do get SXM in your car. You're stuck with a sub in that car.
Looking at the specs. It has an aux in jack? Bluetooth audio?
Why not get an SXM radio that you can take with you? They have many on the site.
If it sounds tasty. Beat them to a pulp for a deal. And to keep from getting a big surprise when renewal is due.
Grab a prepaid Visa. Well worth the 5 or so bucks. Then you have control of fighting with them and the bank when they slam you big time for an auto renewal that SXM hopes you don't catch.
I learned the hard way with my new car. The sub was associated with the checking acct. I bought it with. 1 year free. Then I noticed an auto draft on my account for way more....like $214...which is considerably more than the 5 bucks or so a month that I can get a sub for (but never ever will ever again).
Maybe??
Yep, I learned that the hard way with some other items I purchased or accounts I had...using a regular credit card so they could automatically renew my account without notice until I saw it on my cc statement. Never did that again!

I was going to say, if you’re going to operate the BMW in areas with good cellular coverage, a SiriusXM subscription on a different receiver and just stream in the BMW might be the way to go. Mrs. Foxbat has SiriusXM in her Regal and that lets me stream to our Denon Home 150 speakers and to my Escape via my phone’s SiriusXM app.

Although this Thanksgiving weekend SiriusXM was open for the Holiday travelers:
9261CA89-55D0-444B-B607-2933150347BB.jpeg
We were able to listen to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish shoot themselves in the foot on at least one or two occasions…

Here is a couple of things to try. Download the SXM Dealer app and see if will activate the radio. The app is designed for car dealers that want to demonstrate the SXM on a car they are trying to sell. SiriusXM Dealer - Apps on Google Play If you have Carplay and another paid XM account, you can use the SXM app and it works like the SM tuner. A third option is to the SXM Tour radio and either connect through your car radio via Bluetooth or plug into your auxillary radio jack.

Reactions: SFCR
Here is a couple of things to try. Download the SXM Dealer app and see if will activate the radio. The app is designed for car dealers that want to demonstrate the SXM on a car they are trying to sell. SiriusXM Dealer - Apps on Google Play If you have Carplay and another paid XM account, you can use the SXM app and it works like the SM tuner. A third option is to the SXM Tour radio and either connect through your car radio via Bluetooth or plug into your auxillary radio jack.
I'll check it out - thanks!